-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bull pictured is my first (public, ID), and I'm quite pleased regardless of score. Taped him for the curiosity factor.

Incidentally, killed this 136 two days after I got back (archery public, WI ), and could care less about the book.

It was a good week...

[Linked Image]

caint make cake outta [bleep]
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Pastor Mickey, I dont think that bull will score all that well a'tall grin. To me, that bull looks a lot like a whitetail, but I havent shot one in Idaho yet! The body size is almighty small for an elk, the rack curves and stays low like a deer. Hmmmm, looks like a buck, I bet it smells like a buck...does it quack like a buck? Just funnin' with ya! Thank you guys so much for the pics, I enjoy looking at these size bulls I think more than the monsters. keep'em coming!

PS, that is a dandy whitetail...that I know all about!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Both bulls in this photo are in your size range. The bull just right of center in the photo is a big 5, with very small sixth points on each side. He has long main beams and good spread, so he is in your ball park.

The bull on the left (his rump was towards me, he is to the left of the first bull) is a 6 X 6, short lowers, decent main beams and decent spread, decent uppers.

[Linked Image]

Here is a zoom photo, sorry about the quality but I was using a sub compact digital I carry in my pack.

[Linked Image]

I ended up shooting the bull on the left, here he is on the ground. Note the broken tine on his left side (4th point).

[Linked Image]

The bull on the left is smaller than your size range, the bull on the right is in there.

[Linked Image]

If you see something like this, just shoot and worry about the score later. This is my brother-in-laws bull, goes about 370.

[Linked Image]

Good luck and have fun. Post pics when you get back!

Manny

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't put a tape on him but he was a good one.

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Manny,
Excellent before and after pics. after seeing them and then thinking about myself in that situation, I doubt I would have thought about the camera at all when I had two bulls in sight. How did you have the patience to take a picture? Incredible and very impressive. That kinda gives us something all to think about....it isnt all about the kill. Enjoying the hunt by taking a picture first is pretty cool (though some cases will dictate that is not possible).

Say, I have been noticing the calendar seems to be moving slower than normal....why is that? October seems a looooong way off.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

never taped this one, but by most estimates from the outfitter and other guides I worked with, we all estimated it in the 270-280 range gross

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Berretaman,

I glassed the bulls from a ways away. It took me a couple of hours to get to a ridge just short of where they were bedded. I set up my pack, laid my rifle over it, and went prone in the snow watching them. For 45 minutes.

I took several pictures before I shot when the bulls were bedded. When the far bull stood, it went to his left, to go over the ridge and out of my sight, so that is when I took my first shot.

I hit him with the first shot, (single lung) and he turned and actually came closer. I hit him again at about 350 yards and he went down.

After he went down, out came the camera again. The small 6 point stood there watching his running mate for a while...you can see their tracks in the snow.

[Linked Image]

I took a few more as the smaller 6 point left.

[Linked Image]

This was in South East Idaho, on National Forest land.

Manny

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
This was my first elk he scored 290. 6x8
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Squatch; 06/07/10.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It has been just over 2 months since I posted this and I swear, it has seemed like 2 years. Some very impressive bulls here. First bulls, bulls that got their picture taken first, great stories and great overall hunts. I hope we are so lucky.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My best to date: Oregon archery kill.
[Linked Image]
Same bull, after we pulled him down to the creek bottom.
[Linked Image]
About 270 gross.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Didn't put a tape on him but about 260.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
This is My second elk. We don't know what he scores but we think he is around 315-320.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This one scored 296:
[Linked Image]

This one went 315 (greater spread):
[Linked Image]

This is my Dads, it went just shy of 290:
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.