Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Her Dentist is an equine dentist that does work at the race tracks locally. He is well educated in dental work for horses.

Mash. sorry for the misspeled words, my Horse (Babe) is smarter than me but she is not here when I am trying to type. grin

I am making notes of all the suggestions, so keep them coming. I may not answer all your comments but that dosen't mean I don't use and appericate them . I had her on low starch before and will add it when I am finished with the treatment I am now doing. thanks Hubert.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The danger of not soaking cubes is with a horse that bolts it's food. It will snatch up all the cubes it can and then go tank up on water.Results are usually an impaction.

Where you feed 15 lbs of hay, 15 lbs of cube is a bucket full or less. It takes the horse an hour or so to eat the hay and it will go to water if nearby during that time.With cubes, the horse tends to gooble them all up and the go to water.
A good weight gaining regimine will take 6 months to a year to achieve ,not just a few weeks of heavy graining.Weight put on more slowly will be more beneficial to the animal

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
No sir...one shouldn't double or triple feed overnite....In laymen's terms, you could founder one doing that.....You work up to it....In 2 weeks, one should notice a positive change in weight.....

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would SLOWLY start upping the feed until you get up to 1.5-1.75% of body weight. You should see a big change..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another way to add calories with out increasing sugar/carbs (and the consequent colic/laminitis concern) is to add corn oil to the feed.

As with any feed change start slowly and gradually increase. Start with a couple ounces and over 2 - 3 weeks increase to 1 - 2 cups per day.

Oil is used to add calories to endurance horses as they typically cannot consume enough calories otherwise.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I just inhirted another horse. my Daughter inlaw can't care for hers anymore. she is a 17 yr Arabian mare and is as solid as a rock. so I am planning on riding Jubie and ponying up Babe until she gets back to a healthy condition. everyone needs 2 horses. grin any commets about arabian horses? I appreicate any commets.espically opnions about dealing with relatives.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was growing up, my horse was 3/4 Arab, 1/4 QH. She was all arab in every way except she was 16 hands tall. Fantastic horse. She'd go all day in the mountains, would pack anything that needed moving, and would load in a trailer by just leading her up to the door and throw the lead over her neck.

Her only fault was that when you stopped her, she'd always open her mouth like you were tearing her jaws apart with the bit. Dad always blamed himself for that by not keeping her in a snaffle bit long enough. I don't know if that was true or not. It didn't make any difference what bit you used, so I always rode her with a hackamore just for that reason.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Arabs are fine.

As for dealing with relatives, I try to avoid them. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
[Linked Image]
This is my new horse Jubie, she is real sweet.

Last edited by Hubert; 06/07/10.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Nice looking mare! Arabs are great horses when you've got some place to go.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice looking Arab. As far as your older horse's weight concerns, that daily worming seems to me to be taxing on the horse's system. I'd back off on that.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Are you sure that you use a wormer that get the tape worms?

H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
yes. she seems a little better filled in but it is too early to know for sure.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
first the life cycle of the worms is about 3 weeks. Don't worm daily. Once a month and alternate wormers.
second slowly increase the amount of feed till you see some weight gain. Any kind of Senior feed will be good. It should have a higher degree of digestibility. I don't like feeding cubed hay if possible feed regular alfalfa a block (4") each feeding plus free choice of some kind of good quality grass hay.
third moderate exercise
You might try DAC oil. I have had very good luck with it. Becareful with using too many supplements (like calf manna) you don't want to get protein levels too high esp if you are feeding alfalfa.

H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I went for a ride friday. Jubie spooked from a loud noise I beleive was a super firecracker. she made a mad dash to the top of a ridge the fastest I ever went up hill. but she calmed down ok in a few minutes and we finished the ride .(no I diden't get mad at her) she does like to travel with those long legs. she is 15.2 hands. I am getting to really like her, she could easily keep up with my walker on a trip. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I knew a young girl who had her arm broke while riding horse because of firecrackers.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Has the original horse in the post gained any weight?????????

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes, about 30 lbs

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 29 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.