Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4166894 06/14/10
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sunglass are a piece of equipment I see rarely discussed for safari. Look back at photos over the years, there are a few with me in sunglasses, and most without.

Do you use them for PG, and if so, what do you wear?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I found them valuable in Namibia. HD/UV prescription.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wear them when traveling, in camp and while in the truck. I never wear them while hunting, no reason really, I just don't. Oakley Tightropes.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you ride around on the back of a safari truck, sunglasses may just save your eyesight.

Just about every tree, shrub or bush is covered in thorns, some two or three inches long.

Its not uncommon for the truck to drive through the bush such the people up top in the back have branches brushing past their heads ect...I know two people who have lost the sight in an eye doing similar, but ironically here in the UK...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I wear yellow tinted glasses.I think they help with contrast, started using them for shooting clays.

Not as good as my polarised for sun glasses but they do cut the glare.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used a pair of $20 polarized sunglasses from Scheels that were absolutely indispensable with the sun intesity we had. I was in the Eastern Cape in March/the end of summer and the fatigue on your eyes trying to squint through a day without them would've been irritating to say the least. I won't be without them on the next trip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think wearing sunglasses in the back of the Landcruiser on my first safari saved my eye! There was a herd of zebra about 100 yards from the left side of the truck, which of course I was watching (being my first day and being all excited and not paying attention). I forgot to "duck" when we drove under an acacia tree and I got a face full of thorns. Felt like a porcupine hit me in the face.

I'm a big fan of sunglasses.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They are an absolute must for me, both for eye protection and to reduce eye fatigue. I like a brown polarized tint, it seems to improve contrast and game spotting ability.

Ever notice how many people in the bush are missing an eye? I bring extra cheap glasses to give out to the trackers and others riding in the back of the hunting car.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
T
I bought Wiley X sunglasses with interchangeable lenses. Very, very affordable, found on eBay, and a bunch of my Africa PG pics have me wearing them.

In the back of a bakke, while witnessing things you've never seen before, or tracking a herd of blue wildebeest with your PH in front of you sprinting through the bush, it was a REALLY good idea. I know that some purists might disagree, but there was no negative to this protection, in my view. Not to mention that we were shooting large caliber rifles--eye safety is a big deal. Ask someone who has fewer than two...

Memories afield are important--the pursuit of game blended with the beauty of nature--and are best enjoyed with sportsmen of like mind.
J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wear them hunting in Africa. The sun's intensity requires it, and so does the dust.

I bring spares too.

I have shot as much or more game while wearing sunglasses as not.

JPK

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to confess I have yet to buy a set of sunglasses as I can't find what I want.

Basically, I am looking for perscription sunglasses which offer a degree of balistic protection similar to the Wiley X for instance. I have seen systems that mount a small seperate perscription lens "inside" the glasses, but I prefer to go the single lens route..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Standard Ray Ban Aviators, what else smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Traditionalist, aren't you? That's my pick too, but since I don't have my wings, do I have to get special dispensation to wear them in the field?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You're cool enough smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I have to wear prescription glasses no matter what. I buy ones with large lenses similar to Ray-bans. Lineless bifocals. On my plains game hunt for some reason I only wore clear glasses. I wore prescription sunglasses on my DG hunt.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always wear 'em when up in the hunting car and most of the time during the daytime anyway. Many brands would get all scratched up when being constantly rubbed free of dust with whatever was handy (I know, technically they ALL are getting roughed up when treated that way) but in my view the Maui Jim glasses looked the bestest the longest when so abused. Ray Ban predators are good as well. I typically take 2-3 pair and leave them all behind, often with a tracker or game scout in addition to the PH if he needs a pair. In Zim it seemes all were in need. One year, I bought several extra pair of cheaper, but still polarized, sunglasses to give out to trackers et al at the beginning of a trip and it was a great gift idea.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Pete E
I have to confess I have yet to buy a set of sunglasses as I can't find what I want.

Basically, I am looking for perscription sunglasses which offer a degree of balistic protection similar to the Wiley X for instance. I have seen systems that mount a small seperate perscription lens "inside" the glasses, but I prefer to go the single lens route..

I wear Costa Del Mar's, which are polarized and most often seen advertised to offshore and serious inshore fishermen.

They guarantee their lenses. I had a pair of lenses begin to discolor and delaminate after maybe five years, and they replaced the lenses, no cost, no questions.

They make both glass lenses and very hard, very clear, treated plastic lenses. Can't recall the trade name of the plastic lenses. I have owned both, in non-prescription form, and prefer the glass lenses for their durability. The plastic is very good, but I use paper towels, the corner of a shirt, whatever is handi, and in the slat water and on a boat the lenses get salt buildup and need pretty frequent wiping and the glass lenses stand up better over the long haul.

Best of all for you PeteE, Costa Del Mar makes custom lenses to prescription!

You can find their website by googling them.

JPK

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the Maui JIms now around my neck go bad, I will give these a try. thanks for the tip there. Good stuff is wirht the money, +1 on the need to often use what is at hand to clean a lens.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I wear them all the time to include shooting, I use Oakley Flak Jackets with polarized lenses.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like Rudy Project better than Oakley. Just as pricy, but better. Polarized, photochomatic, etc. they got it. ImpactX is their shooing lens.

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/home.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,635
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.