-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Please look carefully at those excellent illustrations of brass. The 6.5x55 case is not the same size as the rest of them -- to the point they won't fit in the chambers of the rest, and the cartridge case of the others is loose in the chamber of the 6.5x55.

A minor deal, unless you try switching loads in chambers... smile.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Arisaka "sporters" in the Roberts/Jap used to be common as dirt....haven't seen one floating around a gun show in ages.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
L
luke Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Like I said, it's not a bad looking rifle. There are 6 plastic dots embedded in the stock in two different areas in a triangular shape. I don't know what they are or were for, but it could be easily repaired. It has a nice receiver sight (Lyman I think) and the stock is nicely contoured and fits very well. The only drawback to me is the Jap safety.

L
luke Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Sorry to drag this on, but the flower is still on it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just signed on to this site. This post caught my attention. It was suggested to me from our local gunsmith that the two main reasons for the 6.5 wildcats off of the JAP case were; one, and most obvious, the lack of any Jap ammunition. But the second was the sloppy chambers even from the pre WWII type 38's. I have a Pre war 38 that has been very well taken care of. The barrel is bright and accurate, the chamber is tight (using Hornady ammunition) shoots @ 1.25-1.5 inch for five round groups. I guess I got lucky with it. I found it on the local gun rack @ 2 years ago for 100.00. I have set it up for my 10 year old son for his first deer rifle shooting nosler partitions. She is two for two so far. This is a great little deer round.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fyshbum
But the second was the sloppy chambers even from the pre WWII type 38's.

fyshbum-
Actually, it's not the chamber on the 6.5 Arisakas that is sloppy. It's the ammo.

The subject is covered in an article by James Taylor in Handloader magazine #111, from Sept-Oct 1984. Sometime before WWII, the Japanese decreased the body diameter of their 6.5x50 military ammo to make it function better in their machine guns. They did not bother to alter the rifle chambers, because minor case swelling was of little military consequence.

For several decades, Norma was the only maker of 6.5x50 ammo, and their cases were made to match the dimensions of the issue Japanese ammo, which was undersized for the chamber.

It may be that Hornady ammo corrects the problem. I'll have to try some.

The difficulty is that most reloading sizing dies bring the cases back to the dimensions of the Norma and issue ammo. As a result the brass is worked pretty hard.

"riceone" occasionally posts on the campfire, and he has available a die that forms properly-fitting 6.5x50 ammo from 308 Winchester cases.

--Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Bob,
Just got back to this. Thanks for the info. I picked up some Lee 6.5 dies and set the sizer back to limit working the shoulder to help extend the brass life. So far so good. This is the only 6.5 I have. I do have two 99, 7.7's but have not messed with them yet.

Brian

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,841
Posts18,478,128
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.