-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
is there a way to lighten a 10/22 trigger a little to bring it down from 10 lbs?
I don't need a new custom 100 dollar trigger on my 10/22, just want to lighten it up to a few lbs

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy a Volquartson after market hammer, and install it yourself.

Have done several 10/22's this way. Usually don't need the sear/hammer kit, just the hammer.

I'm thinking the last hammer I bought was about $25. (been several years back)

Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'll get lots more advice on this over at rimfirecentral

There's lots of people over there that re-work their own, or there's even a few people who will do it for your quite reasonable from what I've scene.

For a complete replacement the KIDD units seem to get the favorable nod over there, with a close second being the Volquartson. I have one of the latter and have no complaints.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Replace the hammer and spring with the Volquartsen kit and it will bring your trigger down to 2.5 to 3 lbs. This is very easy to do.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=163143

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I spent two years hanging out on Rimfirecentral and learned the 10-22 ropes. I now have eight of them, and did triggers for all of them.
The least expensive way to lighten the trigger pull is to install and after market hammer only, the factory sear is fine.
I prefer Power Custom Hammers and a hammer only will cost $30+ a few bucks. I had problems with cycling using aftermarket springs, so I switched all of them back to factory spings and have no more cycling trouble.
After installing my first Power Custom Hammer, I started grinding my own hammers, which work just as well as either Volquartsen or Power Custom hammers. I had some issues with Volquartsen, so I recommend buying the Power Custom Hammer.

You'll need to use the schematic of the trigger assembly in the back of the Owner's Manual to istall the hammer the first time. After that, you'll have no problems taking the trigger assembly apart and putting it back together again.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
thanks for the advice, I think I'll go with the power custom hammer.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Good choice. Have used them myself with great results.

IF grasshoppers carried 45's Big birds wouldn't fool with them Guns are like jello, theres always room for more!!!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good choice x2. having tried the Volquartsen stuff, I've yet to be impressed with what you get for the $ - even from their full TG2000 assembly. IMO, you pay for the name more than the actual item itself.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bea175
Replace the hammer and spring with the Volquartsen kit and it will bring your trigger down to 2.5 to 3 lbs. This is very easy to do.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=163143

Yep, works like a charm and not hard at all.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wouldn't take for my Jewell.
Butch

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have done about a half dozen or so trigger jobs following the instructions at RFC with good results.

Only one was a real bear to get to the pull weight I was after, so I opted to install a Volquartsen Custom Target Hammer. That ligthened the trigger pull but gave it a mushy feel. In the end I ended up reworking the Volquartsen Custom Target Hammer a bit and ended up with the trigger pull I was after.

My future Son in Law opted for a Volquartsen TG2000 for his Ruger K10/22T (had the plastic Trigger and Trigger Housing). It is nice and crisp albeit a little heavier than I thought it should be considering the price.

Larry

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just saw an ad showing a Timney trigger for the 10-22.
Didn't even know they were building one. Sure looks good.
I have two of Tony Kidd's triggers that are as good as it gets.
Butch mentioned a Jewell 10-22 trigger. I've never seen one, but that has to be a VERY good trigger. I have a couple of Jewells on 22 RF target rifles, set at 2 oz. I doubt that there are any better triggers available for 22's.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Arnold Jewell only made them for a short period of time. Arnold told me that he really liked the Kidd.
Butch

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thanks for the info!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,455 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.