-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was in Breckenridge for a few days and took a guided trip at the river outside of town and Lake Dillon. Caught a few Lake Trout, a Brown and a Rainbow shook loose right at my feet. The phrase "tight line" took on a new meaning with barbless hooks and I lost several fish. It was really more fun, and far more challenging, than I could have expected.

I can't say enough good things about Mountain Angler and my guide, Adam. Adam has the mark of a good instructor, he seemed like a good friend who genuinely wanted me to "get it" rather than somebody just doing their job. Everyone at Mountain Angler was helpful and in a good mood. They all seemed like they enjoyed being at work, which is the trademark of a good business.

I've gotta say that flyfishing was way more work than I expected. The technique involved is way more challenging than it looks and you guys who do it all the time certainly have my respect.

I plan on getting a fly rod soon and fishing for bass and sunfish in the river that runs through town, so y'all brace yourself for lots of questions soon. I told Adam I'd learn to cast and when I go back in a few years I plan on going out with him again to really do some fishing.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good for you, and I only disagree on one point. It's not work at all, just a simple pleasure. Come west sometime and do a summer steelhead trip. About a yard of angry fish and a 20-minute fight in a big river can really get ones heart going.

1Minute
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Agreed. Once you get used to what to do and what you can do with a fly rod, you'll have a strong tendency just to use them. Why ? Minimum tackle required and, above all, they are more fun to fight a fish on than anything else.
I'm headed out in the morning to check out a shallow lake, not much more than 15 ft. deep. Produces brookies all summer, even in the middle of the day for the bait dunkers. The shallows are loaded with fry, etc. Spring fed. Just under 8000 ft. No motored boats allowed. Suppose to contain some cutthroats as well...
Then there are those small waters way back in that rarely get fished. Some aren't even on the map.
Where fly gear is king is on the stream. You can fish shallow white water the spin fishermen can't. That's where the trout are during the warm summer months. Wait until you take a nice fat brown from that kind of water next to a well used and fished camp ground.
Ah, yes. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Practice, practice, practice and casting no longer becomes work. Crawling along brushy streambanks or hiking into a spot at altitude is a different story though. The most fun relaxing fishing I do is fishing a small lake or pond from a float tube. It's incredibly relaxing and pleasant in the evening when the fish are rising.

OTOH, nothing stirs my blood more than a fresh steelhead on the end of a flyrod hooked on a fly that I've tied. Pure friggin adrenaline. It's as good as it gets.

fly fisher fish head

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I should've used a different word. It didn't seem like WORK, but there was a LOT more involved I'm fly fishing than I expected. lol.

Wrist, elbow, how far to bring your rod back on the backcast, how much line to feed out, timing it all just right, etc. You guys who do it all the time just make it look so easy. In fact, the challenge (work) of it is what I enjoyed the most.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I should've used a different word. It didn't seem like WORK, but there was a LOT more involved I'm fly fishing than I expected. lol.

Wrist, elbow, how far to bring your rod back on the backcast, how much line to feed out, timing it all just right, etc. You guys who do it all the time just make it look so easy. In fact, the challenge (work) of it is what I enjoyed the most.

AND, us old bass fisherman get to use smaller stuff that makes bluegills an absolute blast! All day, every day. I'm hooked on fly fishing, too.

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm glad you found it enjoyable and I should have mentioned that. Some folks find it nothing but frustrating.

There's definitely a lot to it. I realized that a while ago when I was teaching my friend how to flycast. And that was just the flycasting part. We haven't even got to the actual fishing part yet. I began to realize how much I take for granted trying to help someone who has never had a flyrod in their hands.

Keep up the good "work". smile

Tight lines to you and good luck in your new hobby.

fish head

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After a few days on the water all of those casting issues shift over to mindless instinct. Technique or style only comes to mind when one encounters a new situation of challenge to overcome.

I have friends who are obsessed with technique and looking good on every cast. I catch way more fish than they do.

If one gets into tying flys, duplicating the classic Atlantic Salmon patterns can literally drive one up the wall.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/24/10.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want to. Simple is better. Most of the time you will catch more fish with casts under 30 feet than over. I'm pretty much a stream fly fisherman for trout. I can tell you its all about getting the fly over the fish, short casts work better for me. You learn about reading water and getting your leader to turn over straight. Once you get the basics down, its a joy. Also in the course of the day when your arm gets tired, stop for a bit and just look. Its july and the hot weather is here, so soon its going to be evenings in the thin water and hoppers.

Last edited by gmsemel; 07/05/10.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gmsemel
Also in the course of the day when your arm gets tired, stop for a bit and just look. Its july and the hot weather is here, so soon its going to be evenings in the thin water and hoppers.

It really is more like hunting than fishing on a good river. I enjoy all sorts of fishing but fly fishing for trout is the one I enjoy the most. It's equal parts frustration and satisfaction.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Another analogy is like driving a stick vs. auto. There's more going on, especially when trying to eat a burger, smoke a cigarette, etc.
But once you get the fundamentals down it's all about watching your back cast from trees and such (rivers) 'cause it get's expensive to lose flys and tippets and leaders. Essentially it's an expensive hobby, but once you're set up, it's all travel time.
Good luck in your new adventure Bluedreaux.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1badf350, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,439
Posts18,489,434
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.