Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
OP Offline
G
Howdy all,

For my upcoming birthday, one of my affluent gun-loving relatives offered to buy me a big bore in order that I might some day fulfill a long held dream of getting to Africa (not that likely in the immediate future) or Alaska (more likely) for a dangerous game hunt. I've decided on a 375 caliber, but need some help picking a gun.

For starters, he has insisted (and if I plan on going to Alaska I'd tend to agree) that the gun be stainless and synthetic. While I'd much prefer a blued barrel wooden rifle, I'm not going to say no to an essentially free rifle based on that. He's also insisted that it be controlled round feed, and again, I'm not about to disagree with that - I've always been fond of Mauser actions anyway. The price range that I'm working with is around $3000 for the gun, and whatever for the scope (I don't anticipate that I'll need a particularly pricey scope). I would prefer that, if possible, the rifle have express sights.

The problem is, I'm just not sure what a good choice is in this price range. I'd be happy with either .375 Ruger or H&H, so the Ruger M77 Alaskan seems like the most obvious choice, but I'd really like a longer barrel, a Pachmayer decelerator (or equivalent), and folding-leaf express sights. I was looking at H-S Precision rifles as well, and they seem to be of outstanding quality, but I don't know that much about them (are they controlled round feed?).

Anyway, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have you checked the CZ550 line of rifles?
Butch

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Butch

Yeah, and while I like the way they handle and look, to my knowledge they don't make them in stainless. (If I'm wrong please correct me - a stainless 550 would be exactly what I'm looking for)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If CRF and SS/Syn is your preference, then your options for off the shelf that come to mind:

Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .375 Ruger

Winchester M70 SS Classic

Kimber Talkeetna

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Buy a Ruger 375 Alaskan and you'll be good to go.

Or, better yet, buy a stainless 338 Winchester Magnum. No need for the 375 on bears; indeed, depending on how much you intend to shoot in preparation for your trip, you might be better off with a 30-06.

Do you have any experience with hard kicking rifles?

Last edited by Oregon45; 06/25/10.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gnumonic
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Butch

Yeah, and while I like the way they handle and look, to my knowledge they don't make them in stainless. (If I'm wrong please correct me - a stainless 550 would be exactly what I'm looking for)

No, CZ does not offer a 550 in SS.

Once upon a time CZ did have some SS rifles available. The barreled actions were MRC 1999. Very rough actions, and I don't believe they were ever available in .375 H&H

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My CZ550 in 458 Lott is smooth. I think I would buy one and have it ENickel coated and forget about stainless.
Butch

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I vote for the 375 ruger alaskan. It has a 20" barrel. I know you said you wanted a longer barrel, but there is not much velocity lost with the 20" and its handy as hell. Mine is extremely accurate and iwth a zeiss conquest, an awesome package. I also have a 458 lott in a cz and they are wonderful rifles. They do not make them in synthetic though. The ruger seems to be the one for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Correction on the cz, they dont make them in stainless.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I vote for a 375 H&H in a CZ 550 with kevlar stock. They are a bit heavy which I like in this caliber and hold one extra round over others. In terms of finish, no CZ doesn't have stainless models but with your mentioned budget you would have more than enough to purchase the rifle and send it off to get a fantanstic finish much better than stainless steel IMHO. Also, CZ rifles plain work and like a wide variety of reloading recipes and in my experience are not at all finicky. Good luck and have fun with it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are they making the M70 375H&H stainless again? If so, work one over and add good sights. The CZ is a monster for a 375 and is better suited for a larger cartridge IMO. The Big Ruger Magnum is even more of a lead bulldozer for such a cartridge. I built a semi-custom copy of the 416s Phil Shoemakers built using a M70 416 Remington that shares the same barrel contour as the 375 H&H making the rifle lighter and handier than the 375 version. I'd not trade it for the world. The stock fits me perfectly and recoil is extremely manageable. Recoil on a 375 is even less and is no big deal. There is no need for a rifle built around a 375 to handle like a truck axle.

You could also just pick up a 375 or 416 Ruger and save the rest of your money for trigger time and hunting. I put a 375 Ruger in a light synthetic stock and it's not too bad. It's no equal to my Shoemaker 416, but it is a heck of a good rifle in its own right.

Good Luck!

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Considering the $3000 budget, go custom. Go with a stainless M70 (.375 Ruger unless you find a long magnum doner) or stainless MRC action (.375 H or Ruger). Have a smith chamber and install a stainless barrel of your choosing for contour and length and have sights installed. Put it in a McMillan. You'll still have $ left over for a scope and mounts of your choice.

You have very generous relatives!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
GaryVA - It looks like Winchester is only making the 375 H&H in the Safari Express in wood and blue. It would be interesting if they chambered it in their Extreme Weather. The largest diameter in that is 338 Win.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ruger Alaskan. Phil Shoemaker recommends them.

Goo enough for me.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Stainless Model 70. Put new sights on, a Williams extractor, Tally rings and bases, a McMillan Safari stock, Sunny Hill bottom metal and a Schmidt 1.5-6x42 flashdot.

The Ruger can't compare.

For reference, I've hunted hard with Ruger, CZ and Winchester rifles. If I need a .590 case head I will get a CZ. For .532 I will get a Winchester. I am done with Ruger.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with Ryan Scott.

1. Winchester Model 70 set up to your liking.
2. CZ with some kind of coating on the metal. I owned two 375 CZ's and there are too big for that cartridge IMO.
3. I too, am done with Rugers.

I have used all three in various calibers.

Last edited by CRS; 06/26/10.

Arcus Venator
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you have a can of gun oil and a rag kept in a ziplock bag forget about the stainless steel.
You should be able to find an old Browning Safari Grade that will feel much better than anything made recently! JMHO
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Go with a Winchester safari custom classic in 375 H&H, you can have a synthetic stock made for and you can get ammo anywhere in the world

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Gnumonic
Howdy all,

For my upcoming birthday, one of my affluent gun-loving relatives offered to buy me a big bore in order that I might some day fulfill a long held dream of getting to Africa (not that likely in the immediate future) or Alaska (more likely) for a dangerous game hunt. I've decided on a 375 caliber, but need some help picking a gun.

For starters, he has insisted (and if I plan on going to Alaska I'd tend to agree) that the gun be stainless and synthetic. While I'd much prefer a blued barrel wooden rifle, I'm not going to say no to an essentially free rifle based on that. He's also insisted that it be controlled round feed, and again, I'm not about to disagree with that - I've always been fond of Mauser actions anyway. The price range that I'm working with is around $3000 for the gun, and whatever for the scope (I don't anticipate that I'll need a particularly pricey scope). I would prefer that, if possible, the rifle have express sights.

The problem is, I'm just not sure what a good choice is in this price range. I'd be happy with either .375 Ruger or H&H, so the Ruger M77 Alaskan seems like the most obvious choice, but I'd really like a longer barrel, a Pachmayer decelerator (or equivalent), and folding-leaf express sights. I was looking at H-S Precision rifles as well, and they seem to be of outstanding quality, but I don't know that much about them (are they controlled round feed?).

Anyway, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!
...................A $3000.00 budget will simply buy you a fancier rifle with the same capabilities as one that is much less expensive.

As a 375 Ruger Alaskan (matte, but available in stainless) owner, I will vouch that this is possibly the best buy for the buck in a 375 caliber.

In the performance category, don`t under-estimate the Ruger Alaskan`s 20" barrel. Depending on the rifle, right on par with a 24" and 25" tubed 375 H&H. A handier, easier carrying, faster and more manuverable, 4" to 6" shorter rifle with the same ballistics.

From the box, extremely accurate and with my more accurate reloads, moas and a little less. They are an extremely durable go anywhere in the world and in any weather rifle. It`s not a pretty rifle, but instead is a no-nonsense, functional rifle, that can do anything that any $3000 custom 375 rifle can do. It is a rifle that you won`t need to baby in the field either.

If the bulkier Hogue stock is not to your liking (designed for larger hands), then it can always be swapped out.

Save your money and use the difference towards other things.

A lighter and more compact 1.5-5x20 VX111 sits atop my Alaskan!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My thoughts would be Kimber Talkeetna, Ruger Alaskan and or my fav and it doesn't fit his CRF mould but would be the 700 XCR, cut the barrel to 23", add Talley's and a 6x36 Leo with LR dotz. Shoot the dog beans out of it for all that moves!

Then go forth and fill up an ark or three... grin

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 06/26/10.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (44mc, 1eyedmule, 160user, 3333vl, 2UP, 308ld, 14 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.