Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Amen brother, it's the typical liberal BS way of thinking. We are brighter than the masses, hence we must protect unenlightened from themselves.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You guys are lucky.....in Indiana our minimum is .35 crazy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In Saskatchewan we have always had a .23 cal minimum restriction on big game rifles. Alas, perfect legislation is not possible. Some pipsqueek cartridges like the 25-20 are not reasonable big game cartridges, and perhaps the .220 swift is a wonderful deer round but there does not seem to be any desire here to change the law to allow .22 calibers.
I'm as looney as most gun nuts about the virtue of various rifles and cartridges for exotic applicatons, so I can agree with the point many are trying to make here, but this topic just doesn't matter to most hunters. Most hunters believe that big game calibers begin at 6MM, which seems reasonable to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dakota-in Montana one of the mainstay rifles is the 22/250. Each and every year I know of deer/elk/lopes and black bears taken with them. The rifles ride in trucks a lot, and they get shot a lot year round and when it comes time to fill the freezer they do just fine.

The people direct a bullet in a proper manner and good things happen.

Many times people get way too opinionated about things they truly know nothing about.

Take a close look at what Scenar has done with his old Sako/Swift and that will tell us about all we need know about how well the 22's do on game.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mark R Dobrenski;
Well said again Mark.

The BC Game Warden that I mentioned in my post who used to shoot moose with his Swift had a 600yd range off his back porch. He was also a good enough shot that he went a couple times to represent Canada shooting on the pistol team at Bisley.

When I met him, I was getting into shooting .22 pistol silhouette and he and his wife were in their early �70�s. What he could do with their High Standard .22 pistols at 75 meters still makes me shake my head. Those that knew him better than I said he could really shoot a rifle in his younger day too. whistle

Anyway, things are what they are here too as far as strange hunting regulations are concerned. As others have said, I�d be way more comfortable with the likes of my old friend hunting with a .22 centerfire than most of the folks who shoot half a box a year from their �06 before they head up the mountain.

I hope you and yours have a fine weekend Dober.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We will Dwayne, my Grandson is playing in a 3 day wood bat all star tourney so life is very very good. I'd mucho rather watch him and his buds smack hell out of a ball than sit and banter a bunch of "BG" (ballistic gack) around.

Have a super weekend yourself.

I'd find it very interesting to see what the world would think if we all had to hunt deer with a 22/250 and elk and moose with a 270 or 06. I'm pretty darn sure that people would come to have a very healthy respect for what the rounds are capable of. Most people are IMO way over gunned when it comes to what they're trying to do, and or way over trucked when it comes to what they need to do with a vehicle. End of rant...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I find much humor in folks thinking 10grs in weight and 19 thousandths of an inch is the difference between acceptable and unacceptable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

One of my 22/250 volunteers....grin

63 Sierra, 178 yds quartering away. Bullet went in about where a bruins love handle would be (just in front of his right hip) and exited his adams apple. I'd allow that's adequate penetration.

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
22/250's and swifts for big game? Do they really work?.....grin!!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a vicious rumor eh... wink

Dober

IC B3

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hmmm....I've got a Kimber 84 Classic 7mm-08 that's a 2" shooter on it's best day - been thinking for a while it would be a very cool fast-twist 22-250. Threads like these that push you over the edge and really hurt the Visa card. blush

I agree it would fit well with the Kimber 84L 270 that I ordered...and do all I need doing in BC.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I still have a few boxes of brass that were factory loaded with FMJ bullets. They are Hornady's Frontier Cartridges, 55 grain Full Metal Jacket. These were purchased at the old Gibson's store in Bozeman, sometime in the 1978-80 time frame. They cost $5.49 a box

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's why they have posted speed limits on the highways.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
22/250's and swifts for big game? Do they really work?.....grin!!

A freind of a freind whose cousin had a brother in law that did it told me it worked..... whistle

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Ingwe, think I now that guy!

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
And Sean, You can't legislate good marksmanship, Virginia like many other states are considering the hunting public as a whole when they make game laws, I'm sure many marksman worth their salt can take Whitetail deer with .22 cal cartridges (even .17 cal), but the game commission has to consider that if they make it legal for an expert shooter it will also be legal for the guy that maybe don't shoot so good and many more that are down right terrible shots, (A lawyer like You above all should know this )I think they are thinking of taking whitetails as humanely as possible considering the hunting population as a whole, and I agree with the minimum caliber law in Virginia, but no hunting on Sunday now that's a whole other can of worms, that law I don't agree with, You told Me a while back that Virginia was going to allow Sunday hunting and do away with the no deer hunting with .22 cal rifles, I think Your sources are bad cause nothing has changed and the Game Commission just met recently to set the laws for the next two years and it's still the same...........................Hillbilly.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

As I read the above posts, it sounds like at least half of you are fine with arbitrary restrictions on freedom in order to restrain the perceived stupidity of your fellow citizens.

I'm gonna pretend I actually read this entire thread........

I'm all for less government mandated restrictions--just ask the Campfire boys..... wink

Having said that, I'm not all that worked up over Colorado's minimum requirements for big game.

I can just see some idjit elk hunting with his 223 PD load.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd sooner have a minimum IQ requirement, that would lessen the number of hunters by at least 80%, many are here already.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can not believe anyone would even think to use a 22 caliber rifle for big game! Dripping Sarcasm!

The 53 TSX will so well also, though I did have one not open up on a lope out of my 223. The two other 53 TSX's that I found looked model perfecto.

I have never recovered a 53gr Barnes TSX out of my 22-250. That is after taking over three dozens critters with that particular bullet. I even tried a frontal shot to hopefully recover one. All I did was mess up everything from the neck to rear ham where it exited. I will never do that again. Wasted too much good venison.

I started using that cartridge specifically because of all the internet experts spouting nonsense about how they don't work and you shouldn't use them. What a crock! Just shows what little experience they have in that arena.

Then I read about guys like Dober, Ingwe, Scenarshooter, & Steelhead who have done all sorts of things above and beyond my experience with 22 caliber rifles. And their real world results mirror mine. It works.

Arcus Venator
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Steelhead, give us a number, so we can see what we're working with here.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (19rabbit52, 163bc, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,426
Posts18,528,411
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.