Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am wanting to buy a new Ruger #1. More than likely it will be a 30-06, but that decision is not final yet. I am also in a negotiation right now to have a custom stock built for the rifle.

I would like to have a rifle that has been "accurized", and want a good quality trigger.

So I am looking for recommendations from you guys as the best way to accurize factory barreled Ruger #1. Who is the best person to do the work?? To install a trigger?? Which trigger?? Factory trigger worked on or after market trigger??

I am not concerned about BR accuracy. But I would like to have a nice rifle that is capable of MOA, or slightly better. This will be a big game rifle for deer, elk, bear, and whatever else I might run into. Thanks, Tom.

West By God Virginia
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Why don't you wait until you have a chance to shoot the rifle before you go accurizing it? It just may shoot MOA without any tinkering.

I have several No.1s that shot MOA or better out of the box.

Most gunsmiths can do a decent trigger job on the factory trigger. Again, I have several that have nice triggers out of the box.

Last edited by mcknight77; 06/25/10.

Jim
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
HOGGHEAD,
I have a .270 that wasn't showing much promise. So I bought a Mould's speed hammer, which I can't say did anything for the accuracy, but cleaned up a lot of the slop in the action and the lock up in the action, due to the heavier spring.
Had the trigger worked by a "professional", which was no better than when it left my hands. Which was gauged at 6 pounds.
Found out that Jard makes a nice #1 trigger in different poundage, basically different spring tensions. http://www.jardinc.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26:ruger-no1&catid=13:no-1&Itemid=14
My dad and I put it together in an hour or so. But I'm sure you could find someone local to put it in for you. This is a really sweet trigger, no creep, crisp break. I chose the 2.5 pound model.
After these installations, maybe I got lucky, but found the right combo of GMX and RL-22 to shoot 1/2" groups consistantly.
If you do find a glorious piece of wood on a well taken care of used one, you'll get out cheaper than a new off the shelf one even after some modifications.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I definitely know which stock I want to get. And I am wanting it a bit different than the factory, so I am not looking for a decent stock. And as far as waiting to accurize-I do not want to do that either. I am sure there will be some minor fitting for the stock to fit properly. And I definitely want the trigger done before I shoot the rifle. I do not want to send it back and forth two or three times to two or three different smiths. So I want all the work done the right way, and up front.

The stock and trigger may be all I do to the rifle. That is why I am asking for opinions. As far as what works, and does not work?? And what is necessary, and not necessary??

The person I am getting the stock from is not installing the stock. Just providing the stock in a 99.9% finished condition. Maybe 99.8%. grin grin Tom.

West By God Virginia
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Do you have a #1 you've handled and operated? If not, how would you know the rifle won't come ready to satisfy? Just because there are horror stories about getting this model to shoot, doesn't mean you're getting a lemon right off the lot.
Give your rifle a chance with break in, load development, etc.
All I'm hearing is about the stock. Is there a rifle in works?

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am negotiating on the stock right now. And it is looking good. So basically-Yes-this is a work in progress. I will not handle the rifle first. I will probably have the rifle shipped directly to the smith who will do the work that I decide to do on it. This is just another way to save an additional $30 or so on shipping. I own and have owned a bunch of #1's. So I am not new to the #1. I am pretty aware of most of the problems of the factory #1. And the trigger is a problem that is apparent on every Ruger #1 that I have shot.

I do not want to ship a rifle back and forth 2 or 3 different times, just so that I can handle and shoot it first. I will have more tied up in the shipping than it would be worth.

That is why I am asking about recommendations that have worked out well for other guys. As I said above the only two things I may do at first is the stock and the trigger. But That is going to get done no matter what. So why pay the extra shipping?? Just so I can say I handled it first?? No need for that.

The rifle may need a second trip if accuracy is a problem. But if I can have some reassurance work done while fitting the stock for an extra $100 or $200--then why not?? Tom.

West By God Virginia
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
If I find the right smith I may even just buy a rifle or a barreled action from him directly. This might even save me some additional funds.

There has got to be a few gunsmiths out there that do this type of work. Or ones who just specialize in #1"s. These are the types of smith's that I am looking for. Any recommendations??

Heck I would not be above buying an excellent condition used #1 Sporter. Preferably in 30-06, But I am open to a few other cartridges. I just want one similar in performance to the 30-06. A 6.5mm or 7mm cartridge would also be acceptable if I found a good deal. I did have my mind set on a 30-06, but then I was looking at the Ruger web site and saw the 6.5 CreedMore was available in the #1. That started me thinking............... And I also saw some limited run's in 264 Winchester Magnum..........Man I got to breathe a little. grin grin Tom.

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 06/25/10.

West By God Virginia
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.a...amp;action=Single%20Shot&finish=Blue
That's the one I'd be buying.
I'm sure there's others that will chime in with their recommendations for a 'smith. Bricktop had some leads, but haven't seen him around in awhile.
Good luck

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by kcTbear
http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.a...amp;action=Single%20Shot&finish=Blue
That's the one I'd be buying.
I'm sure there's others that will chime in with their recommendations for a 'smith. Bricktop had some leads, but haven't seen him around in awhile.
Good luck

That would be a dandy!! grin grin

And I really have thought about it.

I wonder what a good price for that would be?? I do not know if my local guy deals with them or not?? I wonder if anyone knows a gunsmith who works and orders from them?? Or a gunsmith who just orders from them?? I do not have any problems with my guy just doing a transfer from a smith. I even have a few hundred rounds of new brass, bullets, and dies for the 264 Win. Mag. I reload the cartridge for two friends of mine. And they would not mind at all if I pilfered some of their brass!! And I do like the idea of a belted case in a single shot rifle. Should be pretty easy to get it to shoot. Tom.

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 06/25/10.

West By God Virginia
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I believe anyone who has one will agree... the Kepplinger single-set trigger in a #1 is "boss". You can shoot the rifle merely by pulling the trigger (unset), or by pushing the single trigger forward, you "set" the "set-trigger".

I had my gunsmith install a Kepplinger single-set trigger in my #1 RSI (aka "Ruger #1 International with a Mannlicher-style stock. 20-inch barrel) in 7x57 and I couldn't be more pleased. The "normal" trigger has an excellent, smooth, crisp 3 lb trigger while the set-trigger has a pull of only a few OUNCES. Of course, the trigger is completely adjustable in either mode.

I use the regular trigger for hunting and the set-trigger at my club's shooting range, especially if I'm working up "accuracy" loads.

The German-made Kepplinger single-set triggers aren't cheap (around $250 as I recall)... but they're the BEST... no doubt about it. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
I do not know if my local guy deals with them or not?? I wonder if anyone knows a gunsmith who works and orders from them?? Or a gunsmith who just orders from them??

Lipsey's has a Dealer Finder function, I plugged in my zip code and got 11 within 25 miles of my house. Give that a try.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I find the right smith I may even just buy a rifle or a barreled action from him directly. This might even save me some additional funds.

There has got to be a few gunsmiths out there that do this type of work. Or ones who just specialize in #1"s. These are the types of smith's that I am looking for. Any recommendations??

Heck I would not be above buying an excellent condition used #1 Sporter. Preferably in 30-06, But I am open to a few other cartridges. I just want one similar in performance to the 30-06. A 6.5mm or 7mm cartridge would also be acceptable if I found a good deal. I did have my mind set on a 30-06, but then I was looking at the Ruger web site and saw the 6.5 CreedMore was available in the #1. That started me thinking............... And I also saw some limited run's in 264 Winchester Magnum..........Man I got to breathe a little. grin grin Tom.
Unless you're asking for a trigger job ONLY, a gunsmith is likely going to advise you to shoot your rifle FIRST before commissioning any accuracy work.

I would get the factory trigger worked over instead of installing an aftermarket unit.

If you want a unique No. 1, consider Freedumb1's 1AE .30-06 in the classifieds. His is the version with Circasssian walnut and at $925 delivered, is a pretty damned good deal.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...S_Ruger_No_1_30_06_Centennia#Post4173689

If I wasn't already on the hook for a 1V in .220 Swift and a handful of other projects, I'd be on it like white on rice.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Brick Top that is a nice rifle. And probably is a good deal. But I am going to upgrade the stock. It would be a great deal if I cared for the engraving, but personally I do not like engraving when a factory uses it as an advertisement. But I will admit that is a good bit cheaper than I have seen those exact rifles in other places. But those rifles in other places have not sold.

The rifle does have the open sights. I have not decided whether I want open sights or not. But they are a good thing to have.

If you see any #1's anywhere else for a good deal, please pass it on. Thank you for the thought. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brick Top that is a nice rifle. And probably is a good deal. But I am going to upgrade the stock.
Huh? Upgrade in what way?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Brick Top that is a nice rifle. And probably is a good deal. But I am going to upgrade the stock.

I am in the process of selecting a high grade of walnut for a stock right now. I am just looking for an extra extra nice piece of wood. I like the wood. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am in the process of selecting a high grade of walnut for a stock right now. I am just looking for an extra extra nice piece of wood. I like the wood. Tom.
I don't think you know what you want.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I don't think you know what you want.

I may be a little confused as to what exactly I will buy. But I see no reason what so ever for you to make a rude remark like that. Mind your business. I offer you an honest answer and you run your jaws. Nice. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HOGGHEAD,

Here is what I see when Bricktop replies:

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

Maybe you should consider it too.

Now if there was only some way to block that nasty avatar...

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
HOGGHEAD,

Here is what I see when Bricktop replies:

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

Maybe you should consider it too.

Now if there was only some way to block that nasty avatar...

And you wouldn't be the only one doing so and having to have his drivel on your screen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
]I don't think you know what you want.
I may be a little confused as to what exactly I will buy. But I see no reason what so ever for you to make a rude remark like that. Mind your business. I offer you an honest answer and you run your jaws. Nice. Tom.
You asked a question and you got an answer. Pull your head out of your ass and you'll get a more helpful answer. It's not a difficult concept.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

374 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 1,990 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,373
Posts18,488,422
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.