Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Starting a new job Sept. 1, 90 mile round trip commute, almost all free-way. Looking for a small, light car and there's a number of Miata's for sale locally under $7k. Anybody have, or have had, one? If so, how'd you like it?

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
They are a great little sports car, but have very limited storage space. Decent mileage. If you get one, make sure to get one with a glass (not plastic) rear window. My wife bought the very first one in Oregon way back when. We drove it all summer and realized that it was a better second car. Ron Tonkin personally responded to our ad and actually paid more than what we originally paid for it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Cool story! Not too worried about storage space, just need enough for my briefcase and books.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice cars if you're under 6 feet tall. My uncle has one, which he loves. I can't fit in it at 6'4" and 250#.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a 99 model. Reliable, fun car although most do not have overdrive trannies, so the highway mileage isn't as good as you'd expect. Figure mid-20's in town, and low 30's on the highway.

I had a silver one, and found it was not noticed in heavy traffic. After several cases of people cutting me off, I decided it was only a matter of time before I had a big problem with it. If I got another, it would be a different color.

You can get a set of golf clubs in the trunk - if you take the clubs out of the bag first smile They are not uncomfortable, I drove mine from CA to Texas & back one Christmas, and it was fine. Putting the top up & down takes one hand, and about ten seconds, from the driver's seat.

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a similar commute for a few years, most of my co-workers settled on the Toyota Corolla. cheap, good gas mileage, and could car pool 4 adults (not NFL linebackers).

Others went with the Toyota Echo. (smaller than corolla)

Great college kid car when you are done with it.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
hate to say it, but most of the guys around here in miatas are gay. in fact it's a common "gay" car.

smile

not sayin...but...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Ha! I've seen that poster, but around here they don't seem to have that reputation.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mike762
Nice cars if you're under 6 feet tall. My uncle has one, which he loves. I can't fit in it at 6'4" and 250#.

When my friend got married, he wanted to drive my '68 Mustang convertible to the reception. I ended up riding with one of the other groomsmen who was about 6'2 and 260 in his mom's Miata. (I go about 6'6" and 340 or so.) The bride's brother said he didn't think the car was going to survive the trip.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Puts new meaning in lowrider grin

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I almost bought one and the salesman was already counting his commission when he made his big mistake. The top had been down when we test drove the car. Back at the lot, he decided to show me how easy it was to put the top up while I sat in the car. I'm only 6'2 and was probably a little under 250 at the time. I realized I'd been pushing myself up to get out of the car which was impossible with a roof over my head. The only exit possible was to tip sideways and walk on my hands until my azz followed. Buying a cool car didn't seem such a good idea when I'd make a fool of myself every time there were witnesses to see me make my exit.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If it is for 90 mile freeway trips, I'd get something else. Great little car for twisty highways, but long freeway commutes aren't where it shines.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the price is right I suppose. High gas milage compromises safety. You'd loose your life or be severely injured should you hit something larger than the tiny Miata.

I did it too. I had a original 240Z and rode motorcycles in the 70s. I am wiser now and will pay more for gas rather than take those risks.

Your choice.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Tony270WSM
If it is for 90 mile freeway trips, I'd get something else. Great little car for twisty highways, but long freeway commutes aren't where it shines.

My thoughts, exactly. My then-wife had a '99, and it was a blast to throw around in the corners. It wasn't a true screamer, but it had more than enough pluck to blast through the twisties & put a big smile on your face.

I drove it on a 200 mile round trip... once. With such a short wheelbase, it chattered forward and back over every expansion joint in the freeway: it felt like riding on one of those playground animals that sits on a big coil spring. Also, that model only had a 5 speed (I understand later ones had a 6th for OD), so it revved way higher at cruising speed than it needed to. It's hard to tell which was worse: the wind noise, or the drone of the motor. Anything over 40 miles left me feeling beat.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had sportscars all my life going back to a '58 TR3A whose engine was punched out to 150 cu in from the stock 121.5 and fitted with Weber sidedrafts as SU replacements. Owned a Miata from '96 to '99. Very forgiving car that could be thrown around without much fear of things getting squirrelly. My current sled is a S2000 which is more of an enthusiasts car. No where as forgiving but a lot more fun on the edge.

Even though I'm retired and collecting SS, I take long road trips in this. Can't stand RVs smile Probably what you're used to but I find the lengthy drives enjoyable and relaxing.

-=[Bob]=-
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Real nice girl/gay car.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
when i'm driving behind a miata or similar cars, it gets me thinking.
why, i cannot for the love of god understand why anyone would buy a car like that.

if they wanted their car to say, i'm cooler than everbody else they would drive a camaro 67-69.
and if they wanted a economical, small and practical car, the small model from various japanese and german manufactorers would be better.

i'm considering such an car for my next car, i'll go with a opel astra

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Friend of mine has had one for quite some time. Has been very reliable and pretty good fuel efficiency.

As an around town grocery getter or backroads driver, seems like an ok car. For open highway, I would think about a NON-convertible car. Even some of the better convertibles get a little noisy at 70 mph.

I don't like Mustangs, but what about a late model hardtop V-6 Mustang?? Somewhat "sporty". Decent fuel efficiency. Reliable and easy to get parts for and they are relatively cheap on the used market.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My exprience with Miatas is mostly from the back of a motorcycle. You'd be carving up a backroad in the Hill Country and having a good time when you'd come up on a Miata, the driver thinking he/she was going fast and "carving up a backroad". Good times over, until you got an opportunity to blitz by 'em.

I'd rather have the old Corolla (ours is an '02); not much bigger, probably better mileage, far more versatile, 280,000 miles and going strong.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,794
Posts18,516,128
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.