Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I used to enjoy his writing. He seemed to be level headed and had a pretty good outlook on all things "Gunny".

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
CoastieChief,
Welcome! I am also one of G. Sitton's biggest fans. Posted the same question around a year ago even. If I remember correctly he had gotten a divorce, moved and completely quit writing for the gun rags. Also heard he had a stroke. I sure do miss his work!!

Huntr

H
HBH Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I've asked before as well. And his health seemed to be the issue. For me he was one of the best of the best at taking you along and putting thought and feeling to paper. I haven't found anyone I enjoy as much. Maybe it was that his writing related to me a man who had had his ups and downs and having ridden the waves was better for it. I wish him well wherever he is afield.

HBH

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thats a shame....I heard he had problems from time to time and would stop writing, then make a return. I'd like to see that happen again. If he had a stroke he might not be able to though.
I miss his work too.
Mike.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm from Australia and used to enjoy his articles in the Pteresen magazines (where he used to write if I recall correctly). I think I remember that he was a Winchester M70 supergrade enthusiast too.

Shame about his personal and physical life if the rumor is correct.

Magnum308

Only accurate rifles are interesting
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted with Bill Bynum a couple weeks ago and he says that Gary is working on a book.

Bill says that he and Gary are close. Maybe we will get lucky and see some more from him.

Sitton could tell more in a 1000 words than most writers could in a lifetime!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That is great news! Sign me up for a first edition.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
I could not agree more... Gary Sitton is GREATLY missed.

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Among the many reasons why I've liked and admired Sitton's work is that he wasn't afraid to learn something either from others or from his own life experiences. When he found himself to be wrong about something he'd say so - and why. Good for him! And it's good for the reader, too. He's a class act.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A book from G. Sitton would be most welcomed. If anyone hears anything about a publishing date, pass along the good news. RS

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Whitetail,

That is great news. I liked Gary's work and miss him. Keep us posted about the release of his book.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Gary once wrote an article in Petersens "Hunting" called "Confessions of a riflemaniac". I can't recall how many times I read & reread that article. He perfectly described several of my friends through his own eyes.

Bob

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I spoke with Gary a few months ago and he told me he is unable to write, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a book. He is a hugely gifted writer, and used to be one of the funniest people alive. Hopefully, he will come back to us.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
WiseGeezer,
If at all possible, I would greatly appreciate your sending my (and our) very best to Mr. Sitton. I truly miss his writing!

Huntr

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
We don't speak frequently, but I'll be glad to. I don't think he has any idea how many friends he has, or how much he means to so many people.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Geezer

I think you're right. I often wonder if guys really appreciate how many of us really connect with them through their writing.

My best to Gary too. If I could type better I'd let him dictate a book to me. Everyone into working shifts on the dictaphone?

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr. Geezer-
Maybe you could show him these threads. I am sure that they are only " the tip of the iceberg " so to speak.

If folks knew that he might return to writing I am sure that he would receive PLENTY of incentive and encouragement.

Thanks.
Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll simply echo what the others have said -- if anyone here is in touch with him, I'd greatly appreciate him knowing I truly value his work and miss not reading it.

Anyway, make sure he knows that he isn't really alone...

He's got friends out here.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
While visiting my place in Idaho I came across a number of old Hunting Horizon magazines at a garage sale put out by the Handloader/Rifle folks in early '90's. Wonderful Sitton stuff there as well as many others. One titled something like "Things That Matter" that was just good reading. Now those were fine magazines....

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
WGeezer,

If it would encourage him or cheer him up, perhaps we could package up messages and you could forward? Even if Gary can't write, perhaps knowing that his fans are in his corner might be an encouragement?

Just a thought, not trying to obligate you to anything.

Mainframe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,590
Posts18,511,130
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.