Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
How much is a Jarrett rifle, say 30/06 or 7 Mag sporter?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Around $5000 - $6000

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
A Jarrett costs more than an NIB Ed Brown Savannah. About the same as a really good used (Don Allen era) Dakota 76, or Empire Mauser.

Those endorsing his firearms write of 500+ yard shots. I've no desire to hint with those guys, but YMMV.

Draw your own concluions. HINT: Ed Brown.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My Jarrett .416 is the most accurate big bore rifle I've ever fired. It consistently shoots ragged holes with Jarrett's 400-grain TSX load. It shoots the 400-grain banded solid to the same POI. It's an expensive rifle, but it would be darn tough to beat for a rugged, accurate working gun.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been to three of Kenny's symposiums (or symposia if you prefer), and he is very worth listening to if you have the opportunity. I especially like his stories on how he came to build his own barrels, and how he developed his techniques. He does label some of his bore internal dimensions as "secrets".

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well his customers seem to like them, or he would not have stayed in business as long as he has. So its a moot point on the subject of under priced or over priced. Would I write a check that big for one? Nope I would write the check for a NULA 28 in 7mm RM and take the difference to go hunt in the Missouri Breaks. But since I have a pretty good rifle in that chambering. I would just take that money and go to Namibia, Can shoot a lot of stuff there for the price of a Jarrett Rifle. To each is own on this. I was just looking at some eye candy on the Griffin and Howe sight, they got a very nice 20 ga. Side by Side Hammer gun, its 52,894 British Pounds or almost 80K USD. You can really go nuts if you want too!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If anyone would consider your or know where there is one for sale please send me a pm Thanks

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
2 things I know about Kenny. I spoke to him when the 7mm STW was wet, and asked if he would rechamber my 700 factory adl I put in a Mcmillan. He said shoot her first, and if it gets 3200 fps or more w/ 140 grn, and accuracy good enough, rechambering may well hurt accuracy and may not increase velocity as some STW's were slow. So I saved my money once I developed loads for my 7 rem.

Story #2, in the mid 90's a friend who had money to send many guns to many gunsmiths, decided he wanted a 257 ackley improved. He got a fireformad brass and seated a hvy bullet long, sent it and the gun to Kenny and instructed him to get a reamer made and build the gun for a hunting rifle. Initially got it home and fired some handloads, decided it was GTG and proceeded to ATTEMPT to load several rounds in the magazine, only to find out the magazine wasn't opened up to accept the ammo the chamber was cut for. Boxed it up and said gimme my money back, not sure if Kenny gave him the action back or not.....

One thing I know, he could have accepted my request and gotten to rechamber my gun, but offered a real suggestion before I sent her his way. Very honest, IMHO. Seemed like a good guy to me.

Allen

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a Pro-Hunter in 375H+H....cloverleaf accurate.

Kenny seems to be polarizing,frankly this may be the first thread I have ever seen with so many positive comments.They hate the guy on AR.

I like the guy,YMMV.

Worth the money? Hmmmm,I don't know.I had most of my gun except for the scopes paid for by a client as a tip on a job.I just bang nails for a living,what do I know? LOL

Fits me great,tough as nails stock and finish on the barrels.Hunted for 3 weeks in Africa and shot a pile of animals out to 325yds or so.Knowing the gun was good gave an eastern hunter like me confidence to make them(whitetails near me are shotgun slug close at 10-60yds)and a bunch of practice before I went.

That's all I got. smile

Last edited by dinsdale; 07/07/10.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"A Jarrett costs more than an NIB Ed Brown Savannah. About the same as a really good used (Don Allen era) Dakota 76, or Empire Mauser.

Those endorsing his firearms write of 500+ yard shots. I've no desire to hint with those guys, but YMMV.

Draw your own concluions. HINT: Ed Brown."

I could not let that reply go on without a rebuttal....Hell yeah it costs more than an Ed Brown Savannah.....I have never ever seen one of his rifles that could keep up with Kenny's in terms of accuracy! As many folks have noted on this thread, Mule Deer included, Kenny's rifles are/were the most accurate rifles they had ever fired. So true. I have seen review after review of Ed Brown rifles in magazines and they appear to be a fantastic 1 to 2 MOA rifle for all that money....and the ones I have shot have certainly lived up to that reputation!

In my opinion you are comparing apples to oranges with those two riflemakers.

Regarding the 500+ yard shots on animals and your desire NOT to hint (sic) with those guys..well, so be it. Where I hunt, not all shots are 500+, but you dern well better be prepared to make that shot should the opportunity arise. Practice like you should, and choose your shots, good rest, no wind, etc, and 500+ is not a problem.

Last edited by Godogs57; 07/08/10.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when Jarrett's beanfield rifles and the .257 100gr Nosler Btips were both fairly "fresh", read an article that mentioned how fond he was of that bullet in his 25-06 rifles. He professed that combination was #1 in his book, for one shot kills on whitetails/shortest distance of travel after being hit.

Kept that article in my truck for some time, primarily because I had several buds that thought the 25-06 might make for a passable rodent rifle, in a pinch.

Just a few years before that article appeared, I'd built a 25-06 on a M98 action, with a 24" #5A Douglass barrel. Been shooting nothing but 100gr Btips in it, since they hit the market. Unlike Jarret's 25-06 rifles, mine cost a mere pittance, but it still does what it was "designed" to do: Be consistantly accurate and consistantly kill things a fur piece off. ;O)

I have seen one Jarret rifle in my lifetime. It was a beauty and the guy that owned it, thought the world of it.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 1234567
Mule Deer, you didn't mention the calibers, but were any of them 7 STW or 7MM Rem. Mag?

The reason I asked, if they were, did you have any problems with erratic pressures as mentioned on other threads with some of the 7MM mags?

I read, somewhere, that one of the custom makers refuses to built a rifle in one of the 7MM cals., the 7STW I think, because of the difficulty of getting it to shoot consistantly, but I am not sure of this.

On the subject of 7 MMs, do you think it could get any better than taking the 7 WSM case and lengthened it 1/2 inch, or else take the 7 RUM and making the case about 2.5 inches long?

In my imigination, I have always thought that a 7mm in either of these configerations would be ideal.

I have been using a 7 MM Wby. since about 1963 and I always felt this was the best thing going for North America, but I wouldn't turn down a rifle built on one of the other cases mentioned.

A 160 grain or thereabouts 7mm bullet at about 3250 FPS should be awesume.

It would be ideal. It is known as the 7mm Dakota. And, I am sure that soon there will be a 7mm Ruger from the 375 Ruger case.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am just curious if anyone knows how he does the finish on his rifle stocks? It is very granular. Take a look at his website and you will see what I mean.I do not know of any other smiths that uses this type of finish. This is one of the reasons I like his rifles so much

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The finish coatings done on the stocks and metal are products made by the commercial coatings division of Sherwin-Williams Co.Application and curing equiptment are on a job specific design.

I attended a seminar for cabinet finishing and talked to the district salesman who covers SC and Ga.;and have talked with Mr.Jarrett about it as he also has an interest in woodworking.

The finish is terrific for handling, very comfortable for grip.

Sometimes I shoot with the brake,sometimes with out.Where I expected longer shots or multiple quick ones(baboon hunting) I screwed it on to give faster follow ups if required....it helps me alot.PH was cool either way and I hunted just with a PH so he could plug his ears and know it was coming.

Black with green fleck,green metal finish.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by dinsdale; 07/08/10.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the info

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Dinsdale,

Kudu Bellisimo !!!!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Beautiful 375

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If the opportunity ever presents itself and a nice used Jarrett is available I have a spot in the safe. In case a man hits a lick on an investment and is blessed to enjoy a nice profit a trip to SC would be in order to obtain a new one.
Have had the pleasure of seeing a 240 Catbird in action and of using a friends 300 Jarrett several years back on a Mule Deer hunt in NW CO. I cannot imagine anyone producing a rifle to hunt with any better than either of the two I have been around. The 300 would shoot 150's, 165's, and 180's into cloverleafs at 100 yards and I shot a Muley with it at over 400 yards across the sage flats sitting with elbows on knees and backed into a sage bush. Got to see the sweat halo when the rifle cracked with the brake on it. The Catbird would shoot 85's real fast and accurate. It struck like lightening right where it was pointed.
Kenny's guns are awful nice IMO.

Dave

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks...credit the PH as I just pulled the trigger wink

I took that gun on 20 days of plains game in SA and Namibia as a tune up for a cape buffalo hunt.

I have to admit when I shot an Eland,it was the first time I ever felt undergunned...damn they are big.Put him down in two shots;first a little low and broke his shoulder second thru the heart when he turned.That and a warthog were the only two that required more than one shot of 20+ animals and some management shooting.

I tried to get too cute and put the first one low and left;what a dope.Hit him on the other side mo' better;

[Linked Image]

Was very pleased....now I just need some work to get a buff hunt going! sick

Last edited by dinsdale; 07/10/10.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a .280 AI Beanfield rifle built in 1995 and a 300 Win Mag Series rifle built in 2000. Both are very accurate, sub .5 MOA. Both shoot better than I can hold. Are they worth what I paid Jarrett for them? For me yes. I could not be more pleased with the quality and accuracy. If either were stolen, I would order another one from Jarrett as soon as I settled up with my insurance company.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (308ld, 35, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 7 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,730
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.