Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I agree with starting with a 22 K-frame size revolver, because it's SIMPLE. 22s are relatively quiet, no recoil so it doesn't upset the new shooter. Revolvers - easy to see when it's loaded, easy to see when it's unloaded - just open the cylinder. K-frame (or Colt Police Positive Special size) - not too light, not too heavy (either extreme makes it harder to hold steady on target). Excellent single-action trigger pull, excellent double action trigger pull. Easy to load and unload. No worries about whether there's a round hidden in the chamber as with an autoloader. No concerns about jacking the slide back to load or unload. Unloading an autoloader you have to remember to remove the magazine BEFORE you jack the slide to unload the round in the chamber. Do it the wrong way around (jack the slide before removing the mag) and you have a loaded gun that you may not realize is loaded - bad juju! After the revolver fires, you don't immediately have a light single action pull that's dangerous if an untrained shooter waves the gun around unintentionally. IMHO an autoloader is for someone who is interested in shooting regularly so the "manual of arms" is, or becomes, automatic. If they develop the interest, plenty of time to shop for a semi-auto, but even then the revolver is a nice gun to have, and plenty of fun to shoot. They may not even want to move on to a semi-auto.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also agree with teaching both ladies on a .22 revolver! Then move up to the .38-spl (light loads) revolver, this is how my wife and daughter learned at first some years ago. Then wife stopped shooting and pistol stayed in safe. Now 10 years later she wants her CCW permit and we started all over again.

My daughter now has one of the airweight's Smith & Wessons. My wife went through several calibers and makes of pistols during last year after getting her CCW permit. Started with the .22-LR and protressed onward to the .308-auto, 9mm Luger and now shoots a Glock model 27 sub-compact in .40 cal. as her CCW permit pistol. It took her over 5,000 rounds to accomplish these moves over the course of a year. It does take time and good practice sessions.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Without reading the whole thread...pardon me if this has already been said or if you've already got a gun. One of the best handguns ever made is the Smith model 17, K-22. That's what I'd get. I'd look for a used model in excellent shape. Just a personal preference, but I'd first look for either a blued/walnut model before they put the lock on it or a 617 (stainless) also before the lock. The 617 might have to have rubber grips or big, funky Goncalo Alves. Replacing the grips with something more manageable for smaller hands is easy.

My second choice would be either a model 63 Smith and Wesson "Kit Gun" pre-lock, or a Ruger Single Six, preferably in stainless.

C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

PASS IT ON!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Forget about anything S&W is currently making. You want to only buy pre-1980 S&W revolvers. Get yourself a nice condition pre-1980 Model 18 and a nice condition pre-1980 Model 15. Much less money, and much better guns all around (and no key lock in the frame). I've got one of each. You won't be disappointed. Take a look at these two: Model 18 and Model 15

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How big are their hands? The square butt guns are not as comfortable to me as the round butt guns, and the J frame guns have smaller grips. Considering that you are looking at a .22, I would consider something like this:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/..._757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

By the way, buy used and save a lot of money.

Over the last 15 years, the only revolvers I have carried on a regular basis have been J frame Smiths and the Ruger SP101.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 07/08/10. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Man, I can't believe anybody would pay that kind of money for a .22 especially one of the key lock smiths.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 617 would work but IMO is way overpriced. I can't help but think you could get one much cheaper. Perhaps not.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=177962904

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
For the 38 a a S&W Model 10 is not a bad way to go either

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Red44spl
Agree with the Smith K frame 22 followed with the Smith K frame 38spl. That is the route I took with both my girls and it worked out quite well. Semi auto's can be complicated and, at times, finiky. Simple is good.

I also agree with the K frame 22 and 38. They are quality guns and accurate. I have a K22 and K38 target Masterpiece for my son and daughter to learn with.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Red44spl
For the 38 a a S&W Model 10 is not a bad way to go either
Excellent way to go, and lots of them in great condition out there at very reasonable prices. The men who carried them in police service are dying off and their widows and/or sons, are putting them up for sale all across the country, which is the only reason they are so reasonably priced. If they were only available new today (built like they were back then), they'd be selling for over a thousand dollars each. You can pick up very nice ones (pre-1980) for less than $500.00. If you don't mind a slightly worn finish, you can get a perfectly serviceable one for less than $400.00.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If when looking for a used Mod 10, don't turn down the Colt Police Positive.

The Ruger .327 DA revolver will shoot all of the .32's mentioned and the newer .327Fed that is just under a .357Mag.

I would think that a double action revolver would be the best. Even in a .22. I agree that "too little guns" are for experts. Good luck.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Go with a .22 unless someone else is paying for your ammo as centerfire ammo is around 10X the price of rimfire ammo. Two individuals who are serious about becomming good shots can go through a large quantity of ammo in a years time. Low recoil and noise are two great helps.

I say go with a Ruger Mk II or MK III and they are about half the price of many of the handguns alread recommended here, you can get one for the wife and daughter. Nothing like having YOUR very own gun.

You can load the Ruger as a single shot through the mag initially and it will help with fimiliarity of the controls and gun handling.

The Ruger autos are tough and you cannot wear one out.

I think it is great that you have two family members who are interested in taking up handgun shooting. It's something that can easily become a life long interest.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by croldfort
If when looking for a used Mod 10, don't turn down the Colt Police Positive.
I think the Police Positive is a neat little .38, but they don't shoot double action nearly as well as an S&W K-Frame. Now, an Official Police can be a really nice double action shooter. Especially with a little work, or a well worn in action.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

A basic blued and tapered barrel 'new' Ruger Mark III is fairly inexpensive and IMO- just about the most dependable and accurate .22 lr pistol available.

If your wife or daughter plans on 'carrying' the pistol, then the smaller Walther P-22 may be a good choice ...

Or a Beretta 21-A Bobcat .22 lr, with the 'tip-barrel' feature that eliminates the need to having to manipulate the slide in order to chamber, or un-chamber a live round.

Whether ones "1st Handgun" is a revolver (as is often recommended) OR, a semi-auto pistol, a responsible person young or old, only has that 'one' firearm to learn and fully comprehend all of its mechanical functions; and to safely handle and shoot that handgun.

Also learning, understanding, and practicing ALL of the basic Rules Of Gun-Handling Safety.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by C_ROY
What is the difference between a "K" frame & a "J" frame S&W?
I've been carrying concealed and shooting handguns of all types for over 30 years. In my judgment, the J-Frame is an expert's gun. Most people seem to intuit that, "Since this person has a very small amount of experience with handguns, he/she needs a very small revolver." This thinking doesn't stand up to a moment's clear headed scrutiny. Let me repeat: A J-Frame is an expert's gun. Not easy to shoot under the most favorable of circumstances. The ideal frame size for a combat revolver is the S&W K-Frame. J-Frames are cute to look at and hold, and are easy to carry, but they are a bitch to master. If you're buying a handgun for a novice who's not already a gun nut, the last revolver you want to introduce them to is a J-Frame S&W ... that is, unless it's a .22 Kit Gun. Those are awesome, but they too are special purpose guns.

+1

Absolute truth spoken here!

My wife loves a Ruger 22, but when there is a jam, she gets lost on clearing the weapon. She loves the S&W and Taurus 38's with a 3" and 4" barrel, 2.9g of Bullseye with a 148g Wad cutter is about like a 22rimfire(she says).

She has no problems with a 125g HP at 1000 fps out of the 38 special, 3" and 4". With the same load in a Model 60 with 2" barrel, I'm afraid all she could do is scare the bad guy.

Last edited by keith; 07/11/10.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
a ruger blackhawk 22 single action

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As posted several times, a K22 is an excellent starter gun. There is no downside to this one. Find a nice older one, it shouldn't be very expensive. Even if the Wife & Daughter decide they don't want to shoot. You have a nice pistol for plinking.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,539
Posts18,472,836
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.