Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Blew the guts out of a suppressor while shooting a .300 Win mag. Figure about 8 ounces of stainless went down range, some all of 100 yards. I took 7 stitches to my right eyebrow. It was later determined by the manufacturer to be a defective can. However, they didn't offer to pay my deductible.

Good times.....

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Gettin' shot in the ass by ya cousin with a Crosman 760 Powermaster count?

He always was a mean lil' bastard. Last I heard he was in jail.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Original 95 Winchester in .405, with that evil "Crescent Butt plate".

My bud's got one that he restocked with a steel "Shotgun Plate"
....a reasonably pleasant powerhouse to shoot.....though one does feel that he's accomplished something, on laying it down.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Gadfly
Having been pounded enough by 3" Turkey loads, I have never, and will never (knowingly) touch off a 3.5" shell.

ditto...

Smart guys. My wife, God Bless her, wanted to get me something good for Christmas back in my duck hunting days, so she went to Acadamy and asked for the "best" duck hunting shells. All she knew was 12ga. They sold her a case of 3.5" BB's. I had a Browning BPS that would shoot them, and they wouldn't take them back, so I shot them. It scarred me so bad I gave the gun away, just to make sure I wouldn't shoot any more. I don't even want to think about the one, magnum load of 00 buck I shot.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Strangely, the worst I've ever been beat up was shooting a round of trap with a pump .410. It fit my buddy just fine, but it beat my cheek to hamburger. Can't figure out why, he's 5'8" and a buck sixty, I'm 6'6" and 300+.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have benched as big as a .375 H&H in a Ruger #1 - which bucked and twisted a lot but didn't really hurt.

My first time to shoot a .454 Casull was a borrowed Super Redhawk. I fired 6 shots over the chrono, and the 300 grain slugs were making over 1600 fps. I bought a set of rubber lined PAST gloves after that point. I'd like to get a Freedom Arms in either .475 or .500 Wyoming Express but don't fancy a case of carpal tunnel. crazy

Saw one guy at the range years ago who had a 12" Contender in .45-70. He'd hand made a grip for it and was bragging it wasn't bad to shoot. He got no takers to shoot it, and I noticed he was trying to sell it at the next gun show a week or two later. grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Can't really say I've shot one that made me say ouch, but the worst handling rifle I ever shot was a bear bones pre 64 win. model 70 in .458 win mag. The gun weighed 8 lbs., at the most. I benched it for a guy to get the irons on at 50 yds. Fired it 16 times, and finally got the irons on. However it took a 1/2 bottle of canadian mist to get rid of the dee-doop-dee-doops....after the range sessiongrin

I might add, that the only time I was ever scope bit, was with my sons H&R Ultra Hunter. Had it on my bench, crawled the stock, fired, scope hit glasses on bridge of nose...blood everywhere!grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 07/10/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was about 12 or so I got an old single shot 20 ga. Stevens IIRC, that would just hammer me. I spent the next few years scared to give a 12 ga. a try -- 20 was enough. That sucker must of been choked hard or something because when I finally started shooting some 12s, I don't think that I've found one yet that kicked like that 20 did.

It sat in my gun case after that for 10 or 15 years until a bud asked me if I knew of anybody that had a 20 ga that they would make a good deal on. I guess he had this idea that he was gonna start bringing his grouchy wife along duck and pheasant hunting with us sometimes and wanted to break her in with a 20 ga. so she wouldn't get sore and want to stay home -- I had just the deal for him. Ha ha ha ha ha she never did come out with us. laugh

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A friend bought a Ruger #1 in 416 Remington magnum. He had a box of factory ammo and we both were just itching to shoot that beautiful rifle. Wow, a few shots scratched that itch. That rifle spent s lot of time in his close before he sold it.

μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
custum 378 wtyb is the worst I've ever shot.

I have a couple of 10 ga, and they are ok, even the single shot thats super light. I have all the sizes of 12 and they are ok

I've shot 375, 416s, 458s of both flavors and the 460 wtby and my 50 bmg... no big deal.

I shoot a 54 MZ with a 535 gn(I think its that, its 535 or larger) conical in front of 100 gns of real black.. it gets your attention, but then the first thing I ever did to it was take off the steel hook buttplate and put on a recoil pad.. no need in even trying that steel pad, the hooked one in my 45 will nab you if you shoot it in a particular position....

That 378 though....(and I have a 338-378 and have shot a30-378 doing load work and have a couple of various 300s....) I never want to shoot again at all. Ever... It was horrible. SO FAST. I handed it back to the owner after #1 and said nope. He had just got it. First shot broke his shooting glasses in half since he had a high thumb position and his thumb smacked the glasses...

I have not shot any of the big NE rounds... I'd love to though... just to see. My thoughts are I can handle a big shove, I cannot handle a big fast SNAP.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
378 wby, quickest, hardest ever in a 9.5 lb gun........but then again, I've never shot a 460 wby.

MM

MM,
FWIW, I have read in a few different places that the 378's felt recoil is worse than that of a 460Wby.
Now, I don't know if that is true,as I have never fired the 460 but I found it to be noteworthy all the same.
And I've never fired a 378 but had a 460 for about a dozen years. I really had fun shooting that gun, except for the 600 grain Barnes I had for it. Those hurt. The thing I've heard about the 378 vs the 460, is the 378 comes back quicker. Having had a Lazz Warbird, I can understand the concept. That Warbird deserved about as much respect as the 460 or it could leave a mark. Good form, good follow though, and remembering what you're shooting accounts for a lot of whether the rifle gets the better of the shooter or not, I believe.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm pretty recoil tolerant but I met my maker with a Heym Bolt action in 500 Jeffrey. Ouch. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If we're talking getting your bell rung, I had my .450 #2 NE double on me, twice! I developed a flinch and stopped shooting for almost a year. Got back into it with the help of several hundred rounds of .22lr.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Remington XP100R PISTOL in 350 Rem. Mag. w/14" bbl
62 gr. 4064, with a 180gr. Speer

Throws enough barrel flash to gut the deer by
before it dies out cool

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
had a Iver Johnson single shot 12 gauge

Same here, except I was patterning with turkey loads. Hoping a gobbler never showed, tell ya...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
If we're talking getting your bell rung, I had my .450 #2 NE double on me, twice! I developed a flinch and stopped shooting for almost a year. Got back into it with the help of several hundred rounds of .22lr.

Thanks a LOT bud.... now I need two asprin just from READING about that incident! Owie...

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy asked me to sight in his 870 slug gun for him since I was shooting anyway.I shot a box of 5 of his 3"slugs.
The same shells in my auto with the mercury recoil suppresor were not bad at all,but the short barreled,plastic butt plated 870 was a killer.
As bad or worse was a T/C hawken with brass crescent butt and 460gr maxi hunter conicals.As least the muzzleloader shots were a few minutes apart.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm pretty tolerant of rifle recoil, though most of my shooting has been with things 0.308 and smaller.

A Freedom Arms 454 Casull was handed quickly back to its' owner after one shot. I have RA in my hands and wrists that tolerate a full bore 44 mag load fine. That 454 crossed some sort of line.

I don't do 3.5" 12 ga. My momma never raised no foo.....

Got scope bit from a 788 carbine in .308 shooting Hornady Customs 165 load. Was shooting (awkwardly)from an improvised rest and things went very wrong

Cumulative damage:

Lyman Trade Rifle 50 cal. shooting sabotted 240 and 300 gr. XTP's, as well as some of the 385gr Great Plains bullets. A few dozen of those from a bench and I had a horribly sore check for a week or so.

Shooting a sporting clays event to benefit BSA with an 870 pump. Shells provided were AA Super Handicaps and I shot over 200 that day.
I was shooting way over my head that day on what was an extremely difficult coarse. One station had 3 different true pairs that would break at your feet if you did not get them in the air. I was the only person out of a couple hundred (including many pro's) that broke all six birds on that station. Several other stations had shots that were all but impossible with a pump gun and I paid a price. Many of my shots were taken with the shotgun nowhere near my shoulder. I think a lot of my second shots were taken with the butt over my breast.

I was shooting on a company sponsored team that day and won some tremendous bragging rights, though the pain I endured is much fresher in my memory. I spent the next three days flat on my back barely able to breathe. It seems those repeated shots with the butt plate against my ribs really did some damage.

The first day I could really walk after that I went and bought a Beretta sporting clays gun in the semi-auto config.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh I got scope bit, but it didn't bother me any... 338 win mag and 210 tsx... same awkward position.... and the next morning (it cut and bled even with a rubber ring on the eyepiece of the zeiss..) I took 3 shots at a doe, 2 at her head at long range and then moved to the lungs to kill her.. first 2 were awkward and took flesh off my finger from the bolt knob... literally a chunk of bloody flesh but no big deal there either.

But back to this 378... nope, no way no how..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone ever fired an M1 with a grenade launcher?

I have heard the recoil from one of those is pretty bad.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 300jimmy, 28 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,539
Posts18,531,120
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.