Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cwh Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Presumably this action changed over time and there are some variations that may be more desireable than others. What are they and how do you identify the different versions? Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Receivers haven't changed that I am aware of. Bottom metal has, you'd want the one with the release in the bow. Whitworth's are a wee bit smoother, but just a little bit of elbow grease will make any one of them better. The less expensive models didn't have adjustable triggers (Cavaliers).

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Basically, there are two types of Mark -X actions- early and late. The dead giveaway is the Floorplate release. If it has the Oberndorf style tab inside the trigger guard, it is an earlier action about 1987 or earlier. If it has the cross button release right behind the rear end of the floorplate, it is a later action. Those were imported until about 1991 when the civil war broke out in Yugoslavia. Most of the later actions were marked "Whitworth" as well. Within the early actions, there are also two trigger types.

The very first ones had the older FN style military two stage trigger. While the later ones had the fully adjustable units. Again, there is an easy way to tell this at a glance. It the trigger face is SMOOTH it is most likley the early trigger. if it is grooved vertically(sort of like steps) it is the later unit.

Any Action Marked "Whitworth" is worth a bit more to some folks even though they were basically made in Yugloslavia at the Zastava plant. They have no British proof marks. "Whitworth" was just a trade name owned by Interarms. Interams had offices/wearhouses in Manchester England and Alexandria,Va so the actions were marked with those adresses. Even the non Whitworth Rifles were marked "Manchester"..

The first time I ever ordered Mark X many years ago my particularly stubborn FFL holder proceeded to argue with me for about an hour about "that English rifle" because it have "Manchester England" marked on the action. Of course, he ingnored the fact is ALSO had Alexandria VA marked on it as well and NO British proof marks.

It was hard for him to accept that someone 20 years his junior might actually know more about a gun than he did. So, in frustration, I removed the stock and showed him the "made in Yuguslavia" stamp along the rear tang of the action.. He finally shut up about the "English rifle"

Last edited by jim62; 07/10/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have had the same basic conversation with a dealer in expensive firearms!

Some of the very early Mark X's were finely finished, as well as FN's. But I haven't seen many of those.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not germane to the Mark X part of the discussion, but "Yugo" commerical M98 actions can turn up in other situations.

I have a minty H&R 30-06, that sports such an action. Guessing it was marketed in the late 60s or early 70s? The floor plate release is in the front of the trigger quard. Originally had a two stage trigger/side safety, now has an aftermarket adjustable trigger.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The mark X is basically a Mauser, Its a very good action IMO for a custom rifle but even the early guns might require a lot of polishing and I recommend most be surface ground, but thats a $50. job so no biggie..Bottom line is what suits you.

Add a new trigger, a new safety, maybe a new bolt handle, same applies to the comm. FNs, Sears FNs or monkey Wards FNs or any good milsurp Mauser IMO..The mark 10 need not be softened and brought back up to specs IMO..Most Milsurps do.

Just do everything you can to make it better is what I do..I also normally redo the bottom metal completely or replace it with a Grisel, Blackburn, or one of the custom bottom metals. I also restock it.

You can have a great hunting rifle at whatever step you decide to stop at and that is what suits your needs, but the sky is the limit when it comes to tricking any gun out...

You can also just load up a Mk 10 and go hunting without any modifications..It's a good one for hunting.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What do you mean when you say "surface ground'? I see that being mentioned a lot.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
C
cwh Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Great information, guys. Thanks. Is there more than one Mark X action size?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30-some years ago, a buddy picked up a Mark X action that had a new 28" SS Hart bull screwed onto it, in 7mmx300 Weatherby. Got it for a song. Guy that started the project, needed money.

Installed a trigger (Timney Sportsman, IIRC) and another bud whittled up a chunk of walnut for it. Looked like a pipe on a fencepost to me, but the owner was mighty happy with it.

Never would've won a "looks good" contest, but it was one helluva great shooting rig.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mule Deer,

Yep- it is impressive how many gun dealers will latch on ANY connection to or mention of English or German mfg to claim a gun they have for sale is worth more $$, even though the gun itself was never made in those places.

And Ray, yes the polish on many later Mark x actions had some pretty overbuffed/polished surafaces on the outside of the action. The recent Charles Daly/Remington snd USSG imported Mark Xs pretty mauch HAVE to be survace ground to get true contours for a custom build. They seem to require a bit of handwork/polish work inside to get them truly "m98 slick"..

To me , the Mark- Xs are like a peice of clay- you can build them into about anything you want and the action will fit right into the program.

One trick to dating Mark- X actions (and Mini- Mark Xs) is the 4 digit year code along the right side of the rear reciever bridge. It is stamped just above the stock topline right between the two factory drilled holes for a peep sight.. I have a 1978 vintage Mark-X. It has "0778" which means July of 1978. The first two digits are the month built and the last two are the year.

The Yugoslavs do not put a year date along with their breech proofs like the Germans etc. That is the way they mark the date of MGF since many of those actions left the factory without barrels on them- sold as actions only.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I remember back in the late 80s and early 90s every
pawnshop and gunshop you went into had 4 or 5 MK Xs
on the shelf.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently sold a really nice Mark X in .270 with a Simmons 3-9X40 on it for $200.00. I liked to have never found a buyer.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I recently sold a really nice Mark X in .270 with a Simmons 3-9X40 on it for $200.00. I liked to have never found a buyer.

Thats a shame.

You gave that gun away.

I bet you did not list it on the classifieds here and it lasted long at that price..

To all gunmaker critics-
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Padler,
Basically and in yeomans terms "surface grinding" is done with a surface grinding tool set up on a base, and you install the action body in the tool and then make a number of passes lenthwise over the top and patially down each side of the action and that will level the surface and it will be true to the world so to speak. It also leaves very clean shape edges in the correct places...Then when you mount your scope, usually with hand fitted bases, there is no bind on the mount and you can set your scope in the center of its focal plane and it will be very close. A scope btw is more accurate near the center of its focal plane and such an install will return to zero much more accurately than rings and bases just mounted on a factory or milsurp mauser for instance..It also enhances the workmanship and looks of a finished Mauser..Cost is normally very reasonable at about $50 to $75 and its a good investment on a custom rifle IMO..Thats about the best I can explain it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
doesn't it have to be reblued afterwards?

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well....I jumped:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=177669633
I estimate that I paid fair market value - if the gun shoots as well as y'all say it does, this should be a keeper.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One trick to dating Mark- X actions (and Mini- Mark Xs) is the 4 digit year code along the right side of the rear receiver bridge.

That was some new info! Learn all kinds of stuff here at the fire! Mine is a June 1990

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Where the bolts matched to the recievers by serial number?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If it has the Oberndorf style tab inside the trigger guard, it is an earlier action about 1987 or earlier.

While the later ones had the fully adjustable units. Again, there is an easy way to tell this at a glance. It the trigger face is SMOOTH it is most likley the early trigger. if it is grooved vertically(sort of like steps) it is the later unit.

One trick to dating Mark- X actions (and Mini- Mark Xs) is the 4 digit year code along the right side of the rear reciever bridge. It is stamped just above the stock topline right between the two factory drilled holes for a peep sight.. I have a 1978 vintage Mark-X. It has "0778" which means July of 1978. The first two digits are the month built and the last two are the year.

Mine has the trigger guard release, and the serrated trigger. Where Jim speaks of the date stamp mine is stamped 330 ???

Charlie

Last edited by chas05; 07/11/10. Reason: 380???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
Where the bolts matched to the recievers by serial number?

Yes. The serial number is on the tang in the cocking piece slot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (1_deuce, 3333vl, 308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 20 invisible), 14,662 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,966
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.