Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shakari Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fellow Hunters, as you may have hear, PH John Greeff as well as his stepson Dustin were seriously injured in a leopard mauling in Tanzania recently. In an effort to support the family The Boddington Fund in conjunction with something More Safaris are conducting a fundraising drive.

It is important to give a brief explanation of the incident and John's injuries in order to understand the impact this has on the family. On July 6th John was the PH on a Safari in Tanzania and had to sort out a wounded leopard. In the follow up the leopard made his stand in some tall grass and unexpectedly attacked the group singling out Dustin, Johns stepson . Even though mortally wounded by this time the Leopard attacked Dustin and John Greeff physically grappled it from Dustin. The leopard then proceeded to bite John around the head and neck creating severe injuries to his optic nerve, facial nerves, and breaking his jaw. There is a likelihood that John will lose the use of his eye and will require extensive facial plastic and nerve reconstruction as well as simply healing. Not only does this result in tremendous physical pain and discomfort but it puts quite a financial burden on the family. In spite of insurance coverage, the family both deserves and needs our support. The Greeff family has a long history in the Safari industry, has been a staunch supporter of Zimbabwe Professional Hunters, and has three family members making their livelihood from the Safari hunting industry. Simply stated, they really need our help. Whatever you can do to support them is greatly appreciated no matter how large or small.

We are hopeful that all hunters will support our efforts and the Greeff family. It is highly unfortunate that two members of the same hunting family have been injured and your support is appreciated. All funding will be managed through "Something More Safaris" which is an organization designed to "give something back" in the hunting industry. A component of Something More Safaris is the Boddingon Fund established to provide need to anyone injured in the line of duty regardless of their role in the hunting industry.

As part of this fundraising, you are now able to make donations direct to the Boddington Fund where all monies are paid to the Greef family and/or you can take part in a limited sales raffle (150 tickets at US$100 each) with first prize of Butch Searcy custom double rifle and second prize of an Eastern Colorado Mule Deer Hunt to be taken in 2010 or 2011 as a second prize. If you're a US citizen all donations are tax deductable.

Full details here: http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/5011081631

Make your donation direct to the Boddington Fund/Greef family appeal here: http://somethingmoresafaris.com/donate.php

I'll do my best to keep you all updated as things progress and we'll also be publishing news updates etc on our own website.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the monetary exchange rate? Me sending $100 to him = roughly what over there? Is the cost of medical treatment comparable? Do you have a rough idea of what they're needing to come up with, after insurance coverage?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Shakari Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm afraid I don't but am sure that Something More Safaris/Boddington Fund would be able to give you accurate details if you contact them directly.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Two people from one family...........not good.

Thanks for posting this up Steve.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ain't too smart to mess with such critters. Hanging them in your trophy room aint that important.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B2

Shakari Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Once that finger squeezes the trigger there's no bringing it back and someone has to clear up the mess.......and that's just the way it is.

One thing I will say is it takes a VERY brave man to pull a leopard off someone else and bring all that trouble and pain onto yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Ain't too smart to mess with such critters. Hanging them in your trophy room aint that important.

You miss the point completely. Hunting dangerous game is exciting BECAUSE IT IS DANGEROUS. Some like and need such, others do not and are happy enough shooting at backyard deer or the grasschompers, to each his own.

Back on topic, we will be sending support through the web site mentioned. Thanks for posting it here.

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Really?

Send more money to Africa to help out foreigners? We have folks hurt and killed everyday day in this country....

Hope he recovers but GMAFB.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Posted Jul 13, 2010 3:44 AM
Originally posted by craig boddington:

Guys, Larry Burgin (BigBBear) jumped through some incredible hoops getting this organized for his friend and PH John Greeff...he was in the middle of leaving the country on business, and got it done anyway. Can't tell you how impressed I am by the effort he put in making this happen. As you know, this was (another) terrible incident with really bad injuries, and this family can use all the help they can get. After our own disaster last year, it seemed fairly obvious that some kind of permanent situation was needed to provide assistance when (unfortunately, not "if") things like this happen. Brittany and I worked with Something More Safaris to create the "Boddington Fund" with the sole purpose of providing relief to safari industry workers (any job/status) who are injured in the line of duty. Something More Safaris is a 501.c.3 charitable foundation, and this is just one of the cool things they do for hunters and for local people. All contributions are fully tax deductible, and contributions marked for John Greeff will go directly to him and his family. Really appreciate all of your help on this!
Regards, Craig
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/5011081631
-----------------------------

Bold and Underlining added by me.
-Bob F.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just sent them a small check to help out.GMAFB.... jorge

Last edited by jorgeI; 07/17/10.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Send more money to Africa to help out foreigners? We have folks hurt and killed everyday day in this country....

You are correct in that we have folks hurt and killed here every day. Some I help, some I don't, but never begrudge others for helping out who they want to. If you don't want to help, don't, but your post makes you look small. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Miles----Small is begging to help a guy that has made his living sucking off the rich.

I don't begrudge others for helping another person out but pleading for donations for a guy that chose a profession with inherent danger...who has insurance but would like to supplement his lost income seems pretty [bleep]' pretentious.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see a man asking for help for a friend. I do not see a person begging for himself. There is a difference. miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
milespatton,

You handled the antaginistic poster with dignaty. You are to be commended. If I had any extra I would help a fellow hunter no matter what country he is in.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Shakari
Fellow Hunters, as you may have hear, PH John Greeff as well as his stepson Dustin were seriously injured in a leopard mauling in Tanzania recently. In an effort to support the family The Boddington Fund in conjunction with something More Safaris are conducting a fundraising drive.

It is important to give a brief explanation of the incident and John's injuries in order to understand the impact this has on the family. On July 6th John was the PH on a Safari in Tanzania and had to sort out a wounded leopard. In the follow up the leopard made his stand in some tall grass and unexpectedly attacked the group singling out Dustin, Johns stepson . Even though mortally wounded by this time the Leopard attacked Dustin and John Greeff physically grappled it from Dustin. The leopard then proceeded to bite John around the head and neck creating severe injuries to his optic nerve, facial nerves, and breaking his jaw. There is a likelihood that John will lose the use of his eye and will require extensive facial plastic and nerve reconstruction as well as simply healing. Not only does this result in tremendous physical pain and discomfort but it puts quite a financial burden on the family. In spite of insurance coverage, the family both deserves and needs our support. The Greeff family has a long history in the Safari industry, has been a staunch supporter of Zimbabwe Professional Hunters, and has three family members making their livelihood from the Safari hunting industry. Simply stated, they really need our help. Whatever you can do to support them is greatly appreciated no matter how large or small.

We are hopeful that all hunters will support our efforts and the Greeff family. It is highly unfortunate that two members of the same hunting family have been injured and your support is appreciated. All funding will be managed through "Something More Safaris" which is an organization designed to "give something back" in the hunting industry. A component of Something More Safaris is the Boddingon Fund established to provide need to anyone injured in the line of duty regardless of their role in the hunting industry.

As part of this fundraising, you are now able to make donations direct to the Boddington Fund where all monies are paid to the Greef family and/or you can take part in a limited sales raffle (150 tickets at US$100 each) with first prize of Butch Searcy custom double rifle and second prize of an Eastern Colorado Mule Deer Hunt to be taken in 2010 or 2011 as a second prize. If you're a US citizen all donations are tax deductable.

Full details here: http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/5011081631

Make your donation direct to the Boddington Fund/Greef family appeal here: http://somethingmoresafaris.com/donate.php

I'll do my best to keep you all updated as things progress and we'll also be publishing news updates etc on our own website.

Miles---Perhaps you could show me where he said they were personal friends. I saw links to other websites and pleas for money for a guy that was charged by a wounded Leopard that he had a hand in. You pays yer money yous takes yer chances.

The OP only has an interest in promoting his and his friends African business.

We lost 3 great Coastguardsmen here 2 weeks ago how much did you Afrikaners send to them?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Shakari Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Miles----Small is begging to help a guy that has made his living sucking off the rich.

If that's your idea of what a Professional Hunter does for a living then it's unlikely you've ever met one and even less likely you've ever seen one operating professionally....

Miles---Perhaps you could show me where he said they were personal friends. I saw links to other websites and pleas for money for a guy that was charged by a wounded Leopard that he had a hand in. You pays yer money yous takes yer chances.

The OP only has an interest in promoting his and his friends African business.

If you'd read the links, you'd see that I actually say I only know the guy by reputation and that we have mutual friends. Also that my part in the excercise is minimal. I was actually very flattered to find my name mentioned in the thanks.

The same links tell you that the major players in the planning are mostly friends and past clients of John Greef.

As for promoting my own business...... I don't think so. We've been in the business for 3 decades, don't have to and don't advertise (other than a website), don't donate to conventions and don't use agents or pay commissions.

Before you suggest we don't put anything back into hunting, our own company website comprises something like 20 odd pages but our other site which doesn't market at all but gives free African hunting info on everything from initial planning to taxidermy to health to education in 13 African countries comprises over 500 pages.

I fully understand if you choose not to donate to any charity. That's your perogative but to criticise the attempt to raise funds to pay for such a worthy cause, is (IMO and probably in others) extremely small minded.

In the meantime, I wish you luck in your hunting.

Last edited by Shakari; 07/17/10.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Really?

Hope he recovers but GMAFB.

Sheeze! If you don't know how to play with others, could you please not crap in the sandbox? Wrong forum for anti-African diatribes, coz.

Last edited by agazain; 07/18/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man alive - it is getting rough around the fire.

milespatton put is down correctly.

If you do not want to help, then don't.

There certainly is no need to turn such thread of all into the usual guide/outfiter/PH/ promotion bashing.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have friends right here on the internet that I have never met. I have helped a few of them out. I do not regret it. Did you or anyone ask for any help for the Coast Guardsmen? I do not recall it. If you do not want to help, fine. But why disparage another person if he does. The country that a person lives in has no part of my decision when I am making up my mind as to what to do. We have people from all over the world right here on the campfire. Some I would help without a moments hesitation. Some not so much. miles

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't begrudge others for helping another person out but pleading for donations for a guy that chose a profession with inherent danger...who has insurance but would like to supplement his lost income seems pretty [bleep]' pretentious.

Sounds to me like the only {sic} begrudging is done by you. Your "living off the rich" speaks volumes about how you really feel and you couldn't be more wrong. Most of the posters here aren't rich including myself and we hunt Africa. Then of course it all depends on what your definition of rich is.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (Amos63, 7887mm08, 44mc, 3dtestify, 35, 8MMX57JS, 8 invisible), 993 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,207
Posts18,524,265
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.