-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To the original question.....257 Weatherby, scope, etc.

Though I typically use 2.5X or 4X scopes, on a flat shooter like the 257 I'd scope with a 6X - no question. Make mine a Leupold, an older 6X36 would be fine.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of good points and I guess some clarification is needed.

Here in N IN. if the deer is 75 yards or more away from me its standing in a picked bean or corn field. I KNOW there is nothing between me and the deer and know the barrel isnt blocking a thing.

For LONGER shots I worry about what is BEHIND the deer since as mentioned, there is nothing but air between me and it.

The only exception might be if the deer is coming out of cover and is slightly inside it, less than 10 yards....if that.

While not the case, obviously, accross the country FEW hunters here use binoculars WHILE hunting but craploads use them "road scouting".

My furthest shot to date was a measured 267 yards and a real freak and only taken because it was a deer dragging it's back quarters just enough it could amble along. I discovered later that it was obviously hit by a vehicle and feel I made the right decision.

Again it was accross a picked corn field. Zip between me and it, same way with the stand I have set up for a long range pistol this year where deer move from woods to creek to thicket and back and forth.

Between me and the deer there wont be a single limb and if I cant TELL it's a deer without the scope, it's too dark, too far or isnt a deer and I wont even raise my gun. WITH the scope I will verify if buck or doe, if something I want to take etc etc, double check behind the critter through the scope, even though I already know WHAT is back there but still double check in case someone is out running about in the field (does happen).

Sure. A GOOD set of big buck, high power binocs might be easier to look around with but I dont feel any of the 50 plus hunters I know not using them are endangering anyone. All (but the moron mentioned previously) I know enough about are VERY careful hunters.

No complaints. 60plus deer taken to date over the years and hundreds passed up.....after viewing them through the scope making the shoot/dont shoot decision and Im hardly any kind of rarity here. I know hunters who have more than doubled that number is less time who just shoot about everything wearing hide for meat.

Perhaps I am not making things clear on the situation and terrain but I cant come up with a single incident where binocs would have aided me enough to justify them. If out looking for game in the sage brush etc, other cover in the west? You bet!

My old eyes are NOT that good.......LOL!

NO offense to anyone, as always. Just hoping to clarify it a bit.
I use a high power top end variable for DEER identification before the shot. Do I need it to make a killing shot?......nope, but it's sure handy while taking a GOOD look.

I cannot tell you how many stories Ive heard about "I thought it was a doe", "I thought it was bigger", etc. With my choice of scope power any such result of a hunt is no one's fault but my own for not taking a few seconds to really LOOK! Antlers, the shorter snout on "bambi" and the mostly tell tale white ring around MOST buck's eyes are pretty obvious for those looking.......when you can see them up close and personal.

Again, works for me and just my 2 cents but I'm not yet convinced I'm "missing" a thing nor endangering anything or anyone. I can see a LONG ways behind most deer I shoot and if not....it's in the woods.

EVEN IF, I pre glassed a shot WITH binoculars before picking up my gun......Id STILL be doing the same ol, same ol, CHECK NOW RIGHT BEFORE SHOOTING (things change) and IF something meandered into the shooting lane behind the deer....my gun would STILL be pointed at it.

Look before you leap is always true but the less time between the "look" and the "leap" is also important. Binocs or not, I'd still be looking again with my scope before shooting. Nothing gained there IMHO (for me and my use, my area) and what I DID use was MORE TIME. Sometimes a few extra seconds wasted will cost you a shot that WAS a safe one to take. Some meander around abit allowing for all the time in the world but during the rut my ducks had better be in a row, set up and facing upwind or I'll miss an opportunity for a shot that presented itself. Might be a RARER for instance but if it's some hog buck I've been watching, I wont be wasting ANY time after target and a safe shooting lane is verified. He wont be standing around waiting on me.

If I were hunting a grown up field with various cover....yep, binocs would be handy finding deer but it's still through the scope that last verification is made that all is still "go".

God Bless

Last edited by Steve692; 07/18/10.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (06hunter59, 160user, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 270cowboy, 22250rem, 55 invisible), 1,777 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,134
Posts18,523,194
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.