Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BigD Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
In May ! I apologize to JJHack for taking so long to post my hunting experience.
My wife and I book a Hunt with JJHack for our first trip to South Africa. He was great as he guided us through the process and worked around the World Cup schedule. My wife, Linda, and I arrived in SA on May 13th and were by a guide that was sent by JJ's PH. Unfortunately, JJ was not able to attend on this trip. The guide took us for two days of sightseeing at Pilanesberg and Sun City. We then headed for Baltimore for seven days of Hunting.
We were met at the Farm by our PH, Hanno Van Rensburg - it was a little late - so we ate dinner and just got to know each other. We were excited to start hunting the next day.
Sunday morning we checked the zero on my rifle. Nothing moved for the flight over so we were ready to hunt. I brought my Model 70 with pacnor 338 Win barrel. I was shooting 200 acubond handloads. We didn't make it 15 minutes and spotted a 50 inch Kudo. This would be the first of many animals we would see while hunting with Hanno. We hunting all morning without seeing anything I was ready to take at that time. After lunch, while walking thru the bush, an Impala buck was spotted bedded. Hanno set up the shooting sticks and I had my first African animal.

[Linked Image]

Later the same afternoon we came across a heard of Wildebeast. Hanno and I made a short stalk. Hanno picked out the oldest and largest male in the group and the sticks go up again. I shoot him, as he was quartering toward me, in the right shoulder. He spun and ran into the trees. Hanno and I returned to the truck and retrieved his Jack Russell Terrier to help track the Wildebeast. Hanno got the dog on the blood trail which went about 100 yards to the very dead animal. When we arrived at the Wildebeast the dog was latched on the back leg and growling. The dog was definitely not afraid of an animal larger than itself. In Africa then do not bring the animal to the truck - the truck comes to the animal. After the photo session, ten minutes work with the winch and the animal was loaded.

[Linked Image]

The Kudo was spotted in the road and Hanno was very excited and said "Shoot it now if you can." I shot from the truck and he ran off into the bush. The trackers and the dog got on the blood trail and after a short sprint we came up on the Kudo. He was down, but as we approached he raised his head and shook it, with the dog attached to his neck. After Hanno called the dog off, and finishing shot was placed behind the shoulder. I had the biggest Kudo taken off the farm in the last five years. The Kudo's horns were 58 inches long with the tips worn back with age. They figured he was at least 12 years old.

[Linked Image]

The warthog, which I figured would be the easiest animal to get -would be the hardest. Due to late rains, the grass was very high for this time of the year making it hard to spot the animals. We caught this hog in a small group. I made a less than perfect shot and into the bush he goes. Wonder dog is turned loose and the chase is on. We run thru the bush following the barks of the dog. When we came upon the animal a shot between the shoulders finished him.

[Linked Image]

This was a trip of a lifetime. Hanno and his crew were great. My wife and I had a great time- the accommodations, the crew, and hunting were all wonderful.

GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Great story. Still saving for my first trip.

Founding member of the 7MM STW Club
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great report and trophies. Planning another trip yet? smile

The grass was high and the brush thick in May this year. That really makes Warties more of a challenge. Also we saw lots of Warties that we passed on because of size or they were sows with pigs.

Thanks for report.

Charles

Last edited by CharlesL; 07/18/10.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is really an awesome kudu........have made three hunts over there trying to find one like that....enjoy it!

Tim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a heck of a time and got some really nice animals.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
REALLY nice Kudu! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you had a freat time, but of course you did with JJ at the reins. Really nice kudu, you'll need exra wall space for him.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the report and I count the days till I can go with my son.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Big D - looks like you had a GREAT time! Cool.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Those jack russels are something, arent they?

I dont know about you, but I found the Impala rams to be surprisingly beatiful. I thought they were "plain" until I put my hands on one and was very surprised at how truely beautiful they are!

I also didnt realize I was really in Africa until I settled the crosshairs on my first African animal.. A Kudu, but we let him walk.

Congrats!

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrats on a nice hunt! That kudu is a toad!

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 07/19/10.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Great kudu! I know how hard warthogs are. I didn't get one last time but I have two safaris this summer, ( & one in 2011) & warty is on the list again. Africa is addicting!

Those blood dogs are the bee's knees! When I got back I got a jack russell for the same reasons. The one that helped me at Steyn Caracal, Leeou, was an Irish terrier and he's saved lives turning wounded cape buffs.

Karamojo Bill

When I die, I want to come skidding through the pearly gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, That was one hell of a ride"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
BigD - you and your PH related? You two look like you could be brothers in those photos!

BigD Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
Thanks everyone. The PH is not related to me. He is a seven foot tall ex SA UFC fighter. Onr of the nicest people you could meet, just stay on his good side smile. The Impala are very good looking animals. I actually shot two, one was a cull that the PH wanted removed.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"He is a seven foot tall ex SA UFC fighter." eek

Got out while he can still get around. Good call.

Again, looks like a great trip. I've got to make an African hunt happen...

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
koedoe and wart-hog my two favourite game. congrats

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the reports, start saving now, because you will start going through withdraw! I am headed back in 2012!

Still need to put up a hunting report, damn I hate work!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great report. Good to hear everything went well. Easy to get hooked on Africa, isn't it. JJ came through once again.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That Kudu is amazing!

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks and sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for posting.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 45 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,133
Posts18,483,919
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.