Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have $600 to build an AR. This includes shipping, mags etc.

What I want is a AR flat top. I dont want any sights, sight posts etc. I want to be able to mount a scope on it.

Can it be done? Further more, can I build a $600 AR that is decent?

Sorry for such a novice

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We all have different ideas of what "decent" is. To my way of thinking, the answer is no.

However, you can buy a good quality upper starting in the 6 bills range and be well on your way.

BTW, no need to apologize. There are no "all knowing" individuals out there. I learn every day. It is a life long process.

Cheers

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brandon966
I have $600 to build an AR. This includes shipping, mags etc.

What I want is a AR flat top. I dont want any sights, sight posts etc. I want to be able to mount a scope on it.

Can it be done? Further more, can I build a $600 AR that is decent?

Sorry for such a novice
I don't know about building one. If I was to build one, I know I'd go over that because I'd get into it and want better parts and the project would go over the original estimate.

OTOH, I think you're only about $100 shy of being able to buy a very decent version of what you want.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CDNN has them for sale for $599 after the $100 S&W rebate.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
From my experience, it would be quite challenging to put a complete rifle together for $600. My builds have ranged from about $1000 to $2000 and that's before any scopes or mounts showed up. I've never attempted a bare bones, cheap parts build though as I expect quite a bit out of my rifles as far as accuracy goes.

One thing I can tell you though is to start adding up prices on parts and see for yourself. It is fun and addicting. I have seen some ridiculously cheap stripped lowers lately. I have also seen some really good buys on basic flat top uppers lately and that might be your best approach. The lower half can be assembled with common hand tools as long as you go with the A2 style stock. When you start talking about assembling the upper yourself, add in some tooling costs.

I've always went with pretty good parts and built rifles that cost more than you can buy something similar in the stores, but I also learned a lot from assembling them. One thing that is worth a lot, is knowing what every little part's function is and putting one together teaches you that.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NOPE either go with the CDNN or plan on spending about 2-300 more and build a very decent AR.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brandon--since I started putting together AR's the last 6 months, I started looking into all the prices, especially putting them together from scratch.

In my latest endevour, I've been researching assembling a QUALITY upper from individual parts (barrel, handguard, reciever, BCG, etc.). For a nice, quality (WOA for example) upper, I can buy a complete upper for $100-$150 less than I can put one together for. And the Upper will run 6-650.

Now, if you're just talking a cheap beater, that's a different story...

In my mind, putting together a quality AR, out of quality parts, that runs and runs and runs, without any hiccups, is worth the few extra bones. My 2 cents.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Plus for a build, you will have at least a couple hundred bucks tied up in the proper tools you will need.

Another option is watch the auction sites for a complete upper of your liking, which you can sometimes find complete in the 4-450 range and then build a lower which will run about 250 with just standard parts, nothing fancy.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Check this out:

http://cdnninvestments.com.p2.hostingprod.com/CDNN-Catalog/CDNN2010-3/index.html

Don't know how long S&W will take to refund the $100 rebate, but I have had fairly decent service from a M&P myself.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Here is the actual page. It's the one on top, right-hand side.

http://cdnninvestments.com.p2.hostingprod.com/CDNN-Catalog/CDNN2010-3/index.html

Not a bad deal. A friend and former professor of mine in Virginia ordered one this morning. It's his first AR. He was planning to get a AK until I showed him this deal.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah I am ordering mine tomorrow sometime.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
One of my former professors ordered the one for $699 (sights included?) a couple of days ago. I'm waiting for a range report. He is new to BRD and AR's in general. I warned him. he's already talking about a dedicated 22 LR build! he's hooked. He does have 7 children, and he wants the 22 to train them for the AR platform.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just picked up the S&W "optics ready" carbine. Haven't shot it yet but I am impressed with the little rifle. Fit and finish beats everything I've looked at, now I just hope it shoots the same.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I went and handled one at a local gun shop while waiting for mine to arrive. Fit and finish looks great, although supplying this thing with a scope looks to be quite a task.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Some good advice on this thread. If you are wanting a quality AR right away, buy rather than build. But if you are patient you can pick up parts at much better than retail. That's what I did and ended up with a new DPMS 20" SS bull flat top complete upper, new billet lower and 2 stage trigger plus a Sully stock all for about $300-400 less than retail. It shoots lights out too. Hope you like yours Brandon!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, AdventureBound, 9 invisible), 4,131 guests, and 713 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,810
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.