Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
What kind of Devcon do you use?

This is the same stuff that Brown Precision used to send along with their stocks, used to come in 2 small tubes instead of the syringe, works OK, IMO, (but they now use AcraGlass):

Devcon Plastic Steel

This is what I use now if I use Devcon:

Devcon Steel Putty

Have you ever tried AcraGlass Gel either with or w/o powdered metal?

It's my 1st preference..........

MM

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About the most durable bedding system that stood up to the most abuse I've experienced is that used on a previous issued Chandler M40. The USMC 2112 built the rifles using Titanium Devcon with a skim coat of Marine Tex. I've found nothing better. It is a difficult bedding as the majority of the 2112s were fired and only a handful were able to master the system.

As to the original poster in this thread who was asking about bedding a plastic stock:

I'm of the opinion that Marine Tex would be the best choice and would be superior to the Devcon. I believe you'd have greater success at adhesion over the Devcon. Marine Tex will stand up to a great deal of battering from recoil without becoming loose. I've used it on very heavy recoiling rifles up to a 416 Remington Magnum built on a light bear rifle which is lighter than most sporters. With proper bedding techniques, it holds up to a ton of abuse with little maintenance. It will not go soft or go brittle. After a ton of use and many, many rounds, you may need a skim coat if you pull the rifle down for a LTI or maintenance.

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used Devcon and AcuGlas. They'r good.

I now use Marine Tex. It is just as durable as Devcon and weighs less. Just as easy as AcraGlas and cost less. To me its a no brainer.

Just make sure its Marine Tex GREY and not the White. White is no good, never gets hard.

Thanks
Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (AdventureBound, 7mm_Loco, 79S, 673, 44automag, 17 invisible), 1,982 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,438
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.