-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Let me see if I can get the picture posted and then I'll explain .

[Linked Image]

The range was only 142 yards , but his head was all that was visible and the breeze was blowing a weed back and forth in front of him so I had to time the shot right .

And I did !

This is the town

[Linked Image]

This is my setup where I spent 36 hours straight

[Linked Image]

And this is the 244 AI which sent the 70 gr. B T past the weed and into the little feller's head .

[Linked Image]

I was attemting to eradicate this small town for a friend . I left 4 or 5 last Fall as best I could tell . I killed 23 this trip and yesterday morning only three came out . I killed one of them so I know there are at least two left .

I'll be going out there dove hunting in Sept and maybe I can finish the job . I been on it three years !!!

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

A
AlC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Impressive shot. Good setup.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Extincting is fun!
I've chopped nearly 13,000 digger pines on our place. Only 987,001 to go!

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Curdog,
Tell me more about your rifle please. How do you like a sporter weight for varmint shooting? At what range do you get to spot your hits/misses after recoil? What range are you good for with it? I�m not convinced I need a designated heavy weight for colony varmint work with my limited gun funds but they have a lot to offer.
Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Actually , I have four rifles I use on PD's : 204 Ruger in a Ruger 77 , 22 Hornet in an A Bolt , 22 250 AI built on a 722 Rem with a Pac Nor barrel , and a 244 AI built on a SA REm 700 with a Shilen barrel . All are sporter weight .

I see the hits at around 150 yards or less with all except the Hornet . Beyond that , unless the shot knocks them up in the air and I see 'em on the way back down , I don't see the impact .

The 204 and the 22 250 AI both have 12 pwr FX Loopies which has a limited FOV so I'm not able to see them running off after a miss , either . Even though my hearing is really bad , I often hear the impact with the 204 and Hornet .

As far as effective range , the wind is the limiting factor in most cases when hunting alone . If you can't see the bullet strike on misses , you can't correct .

When shooting in a party , both the Ackleys shoot for a really high percentage out to 250 yards or so absent a really bad crosswind . First shot hits at 300 yards are fairly common and the critters are still in danger well beyond that , but it requires some bad luck on their part .

This little eradication project is not typical PD hunting . I could have done just fine with only one rifle . There is a larger town about three miles from this one where the dogs are plentiful [ and wild ] and that's where the extra rifles are needed . There is almost always a target available there , but their comfort zone is about 300 yards or so .

I've never owned a heavy barreled rifle but I've shot a few .I always figured they would heat up slower but also cool off slower but I could be wrong .

I don't know if I just lucked out and got a good one , but the 204 right out of the box is as accurate as my custom rifles . I hasten to add that it wasn't that good with factory ammo but it's really accurate and fun to shoot with handloads .

If I were you , I'd look real good at the Ruger 77 . I'll see if I can post a picture later on .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now that is Redneck! Poison is a lot more effective but, it ain't nere as much fun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,681
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.