Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have had a few people email me on my setup for Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. I am in terested on how some of you pack your MRCC for a 4+ day hunt?

Thanks,
W.B.

Keep the wind in your face!
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3 load cells in an army water-proof bag. I use the side pockets too and the top lid. I don't carry a water bladder per se but use 2 platypus bags. I got some extra straps from MR as well to help suck the load tight. I used my CC the first year I got it to haul out my camp and 1/2 a boned out elk. I came to the conclusion, that I needed a bigger rig and got a 6500.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm... That sounds familiar....

4 days, hell, 3 days is when I hang the 6500 on the NICE frame.

Overnights, 2 dayers, and a daypack that kicks ass when you need to haul meat is where the Crewcab shines.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
conrad101st and DanAdair, thanks for the input! I was looking for specifics as to what is loaded into each load cell, side pockets and day lid. I want to give them options, not just my way.

Keep the wind in your face!
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well...

For short trips, the two side pockets are loaded with the Nikon 50ED, and the tripod goes in the other (Now a Slik Sprint Mini II, with the Manfrotto fluidhead) I usually toss in a couple industrial trash bags (5 mil or better) in the long pockets too. Also, usually about a litre Platypus bag (empty and rolled up) There's usually a Benchmade straight knife in there too...

In the expandable section, I toss in the bag, tent, and food and other goodies. It depends on how close I'm going to be to water, I'll either pack MREs, or Mountain House. There's usually some granola bars and GORP in there too, as well as Hammer Gel (Mmmm, huckleberry) and a dose or two of Recoverite. I used to use their products quite a bit when I was into the mountain bike scene, they were one of the sponsors of Race League up on Big Mountain. All the food and other loose goods get put into a Sea to Summit dry bag (usually an 8 or 13 litre depending on how many [bleep] tickets I take) Another goody, pack some Gatorade powder, or EmergenC packets. I toss in my Mammut downie, and a Sawvivor too. Also, the Jetboil (if I went the dehydrated chow route) I usually load the big 2+ litre "weapons grade" Camelback bag, and stuff it in its hole. Most of the time, I've got a Big Aggy insulated air core matress along too.

The main panel, maps go in the section that looks like there should be maps there. The narrow little pocket, holds a lenspen and crock stick. The one next to it holds ammo, and there's usually a Spyderco clipped on there too. The rest of the big pocket seems to attract various junk and such, it depends on the season (summer scouts are a whole different deal than Spring Bear, or mid November) But a Bic lighter, and Fire Steel, and tinder picked up along the way are pretty standard. The little pocket on back usually has a 1st aid kit and Aquamira water tablets (now you know why the Platypus bag) GPS, compass and a Quad Tool.

Sometimes (okay usually) that litre platypus bag has some dehydrated beer (okay Scotch) in it laugh Once you drink it up, you can dump whats left of your potable water into it, and then use the big Camelback bag, and the Aquimira's to purify water overnight.

I'm Irish...

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Sometimes (okay usually) that litre platypus bag has some dehydrated beer (okay Scotch) in it

Packed the 6500 for 9 days of sheep coming up at the end of the week....Looked pretty hard at the dehydrated beer too......grin

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glenlivet Nadura....

Good for what ailes ya'

I've got nine days, 3rd week of September, up around your South border. There will be at least a 5th going along.

I'm Irish...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (300_savage, 7887mm08, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,882 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,490
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.