Hop To
J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Guys,

Here is a special one of a kind 17hmr rifle.

This gun is a full custom first year(2002) Marlin m17VS built by a late gunsmith freind of mine for his own use as a 17 HMR Prairie dog rig. I am listing it here for his widow.

He was a master machinist and did all the metalwork- Trigger tune at 2 lbs, Badger style bolt knob and the custom stock screw escutcheon. I think he may have polished the crown as well.

I designed the stock and did the woodwork for him. It is a milled from a blank of "Desert camo" Rutland birch laminate in a minturized Winchester Marksman/Rem 40x style Varmint prone style. The shape is sporterized a bit for quicker handling and better looks.The pull length is 13.75"

With this handle on it, this rifle reminds me of the old SAKO Vixen Varminters at 7.25 pounds. The wood to metal fit is nice and tight-as good as any Kimber or Cooper rimfire. The barrel is bedded for the first inch of the breech and then fully floated.

The forend on this is wide 2.4" at the rear and rides the bags great.The bottom is relaively flat, but it as a rounded trapazoid shape in cross section, so it is very comfortable in the hand as well. I have made several of this stock style and everyone who owns one raves about how they fit and feel.

The gun has always shot lights out from the time he first shot it. It likes Hornady 17g Vmax loads and never fails to shoot under an inch at 100 yards with them. It has gone under 1/2" at 100 with certain ammo lots.

This is a sweetheart of a rifle and not much more $$ than a factory Marlin and less than the stock work alone would cost.

UPDATE---ALSO INCLUDED- is a BKL #261 milled Bridge Mount for this rifle. These mounts run $55 new.

The price is $395 SHIPPED in Conus to any dealer who will accept shipments from individuals.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jim62; 07/26/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful. Nice work. Free bump.
Lee

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Ebby
Beautiful. Nice work. Free bump.
Lee

Lee, thanks.

It is a cherry rig for anyone who is in the market for a great 17HMR rifle. You'd have to spend 3 times the dough to get a better 17HMR bolt gun.

BTW, the above listing was just updated to include the BKL #261 Bridge mount.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bump for a very nice looking rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man if this came up next month I would be all over it.SWEET 17!!!!
BBJ

IC B2

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the Kudos on the rifle, guys.. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim62,
PM sent. I just can't take it,this gun showed up in my dreams. I will take it.
Thanks
BBJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am glad someone bought it so I could quit contemplating it!

NRA Life Member
Shoot Straight-Shoot Often (my thoughts on deer drives)
J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BareBack_Jack
Jim62,
PM sent. I just can't take it,this gun showed up in my dreams. I will take it.
Thanks
BBJ

BBJ,

I just sent you a PM with the contact info etc.

Thank you.

Anyone else who wants to be put on the backup list for the rifle- please PM me.

To all gunmaker critics-
J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
As of now, the gun is sold to Bare Back Jack ,pending reciept of funds .

thanks wink

Last edited by jim62; 07/28/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PM's recived and yes it's sold.
Thanks Jim62
BBJ

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
No problem. I am glad it is getting a good home in Montana. wink

To all gunmaker critics-

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (270cowboy, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 264magnum, 51 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,066
Posts18,521,520
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.