Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RyanScott
1000 yards matches have nothing to do with fighting whatsoever. Nor does the 7.62 produce wounds more serious than the 5.56mm. In fact I have a friend who is thankful that his enemy shot him with a 7.62 rather than a 5.56mm.

But the 308 produces those wounds at much longer range and will go through things the .223 only dreams about. The .223 was made to be a wounding weapon.

NRA Lifetime Member
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by BMT
True . . . .

But beyond 600 things get much more dicey (even in 308).

As one sniper friend stated about the sandbox: "nobody is ever really zeroed at 600."

BMT

500 and 600 you really can more or less be zero'd in if its a fixed distance... its beyond that.. 800 is usually fairly easy... but beyond that it gets iffy for me.

Folks will say I have wind flags and they don't.... but if you use what you have,there are a TON of windicators out there to call the wind... and you can usually get that within 1 moa of being right out to 600... that usually leaves enough error room for a hit...

I don't necessarily disagree. But it is almost impossible to zero for conditions that change constantly. My friend was referring to being Deployed from lower elevation to Highlands, to flat desert (mirage), to valleys, etc.

He and his unit eventually decided that a 100 yard zero with a good dope book was more useful.

If I Understand his assignment, he spent 14 months in 18 places, doing Scout/Security/Countersniper work for engineers who were repairing roads, etc. They would finish a repair and move 100 yards to 100 miles.

If a guy is stationed at a base and shoots (practice) to known registration points regularly, the opinion will be different.

Good Shooting,

BMT

A good palm pilot program takes a lot of the variables out.... Its all really math, there is nothing vodoo like in shooting. Especially for elevation issues.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by RyanScott
1000 yards matches have nothing to do with fighting whatsoever. Nor does the 7.62 produce wounds more serious than the 5.56mm. In fact I have a friend who is thankful that his enemy shot him with a 7.62 rather than a 5.56mm.

But the 308 produces those wounds at much longer range and will go through things the .223 only dreams about. The .223 was made to be a wounding weapon.

Feel free to stand in front of a 223 and pray to recieve only a wound.... generally good folks don't shoot that poorly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
At close range using military ammunition 5.56 is more dramatic than 7.62.

My brother had a sniper in his OCS class. He asked about caliber and was told that it was essentially unheard of to shoot through anything with an individual weapon at any range. Their targets were either in the open or behind hard cover.

But hey, it makes a great argument on the internet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ryan. Exactly. Mud walls will catch A lot of rounds, including 50 cal in some situations.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rogue
I don't think everyone here quite realizes how much firepower an infantry platoon of 30 some guys have.

An infantry platoon of has a minimum of Two javelins, two M240B's, six M249SAW's, six M203's and six M14's. Not to even mention they probibly have a FO calling fire for them. If they're in Helmand or Kandahar they most likely have been plussed up two M2 50 cals and two M19 grenade launchers. The PL, PSG, SL's, TL's, assistant gunners, medics, FO and the rto are the ones with M4's. They pretty much have other stuff to worry about than doinking bad guys at 700 meters.

And I promise you first hand a M4 kills shat as far out as you can hit with them. Which realisticly is over 500 meters with issue optics.

Spec ops use pretty much anything they want. Which if you are there you'll see many, many, MANY chose the M4.

Some REMF Major writing a BS paper for his CASQ course means nothing to me.

Mike,

thanks for your service!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That is freaking funny!

And what is even more funny is that the Army and Marines followed the Air Force lead in buying the M16. A rifle designated to defend Air Force bases. That is totally hilarious.

This is funny too! LOL! Those stupid Air Force people don't know what they are doing!

"Air Force Revives .45-cal Handgun"

http://defensetech.org/2007/04/18/exclusive-air-force-revives-45-cal-handgun/#comment-207332

bs

Why do you think the Marines are switching bullets, again?
Why is there a push to change the gas system from the M16 to a H&K 416 type system?
Why was the 6.8 developed?
Why do we consistently read of M16/ammo failures to function at crucial times?
Why was I testing 5.56 ammo in gel blocks for
SOF who were looking for a "better" bullet?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1Minute, an accurate appraisal on this subject. Sooner or later, the needs of the actual users in the field will coincide with the day's "political" concerns (with all its baggage)to produce a useful military round. Until then - set your phasers on 'stun'. Regards, Homesteader.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495

A good palm pilot program takes a lot of the variables out.... Its all really math, there is nothing vodoo like in shooting. Especially for elevation issues.

I understand. My reference to a "dope book" was more to having good data.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

Mike,

thanks for your service!

Yes Sir. Thank you!

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Homesteader
1Minute, an accurate appraisal on this subject. Sooner or later, the needs of the actual users in the field will coincide with the day's "political" concerns (with all its baggage)to produce a useful military round. Until then - set your phasers on 'stun'. Regards, Homesteader.

Interesting to know that the well trained forces have zero complaints with whats available to them...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SU35

bs
Considering M80 vs. M855 and M193, yes. Most M80 doesn't fragment. Now, if you opened the selection up to 155AMAX, you've gone about as close to the hammer of Thor as you'll have in an individual weapon. But that isn't legal.

Why do you think the Marines are switching bullets, again?M855 is junk, particularly through auto glass, which is one of the most likely barriers, as houses there stop bullets.
Why is there a push to change the gas system from the M16 to a H&K 416 type system?In short barreled suppressed weapons it makes sense. In anything longer than twelve inches, it's mostly ignorance.
Why was the 6.8 developed?Because some don't feel the 5.56 adequate. Certainly other calibers will, EQUAL BULLETS CONSIDERED, cause more damage. I maintain that with few exceptions, they don't make enough difference to make the weight, size and recoil trade of worthwhile.
Why do we consistently read of M16/ammo failures to function at crucial times?Because it sells copy, makes some people look bad, etc. Also misses are often mistaken for bullet failures.
SOF who were looking for a "better" bullet?Because it would be irresponsible for them not to look.

We do need better bullets in 5.56. 6x45 would make sense, as a caliber swap. A better caliber makes more sense in belt fed applications vice individual weapons.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In CQB I'll take the 7.62 every time, not to mention it shoots through walls a lot better than a

SOF who were looking for a "better" bullet?Because it would be irresponsible for them not to look.

That's not what they told me. They told me the 5.56 was inconsistent in killing bad guys . Black Hills believed them and developed a new round for them which I believe they eventually went to.

Why was the 6.8 developed?Because some don't feel the 5.56 adequate.

Those "some" were enough for a major manufacture, Remington, to spend 10s of thousands of dollars to develop the 6.8 cartridge.

It's time for a new cartridge and a new rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why carry all that brass around.
http://remtek.com/arms/hk/mil/g11/caseless.htm

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23:the-g11-caseless-military-rifle&catid=11:rare-prototypes&Itemid=5

Just shows what can be done.

dave

[Linked Image]

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Woo hoo! an 18 caliber rifle!

I recall what Clint Smith has said: "There is no technology good enough to overcome the operator."

BMT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep,a select fire BB gun. cool
Wouldn't want to get hit with it.

dave

[Linked Image]

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Yep,a select fire BB gun. cool
Wouldn't want to get hit with it.

dave

No doubt.

Thinking out loud . . . . "can that caseless ammo get wet?"

BMT

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In CQB I'll take the 7.62 every time, not to mention it shoots through walls a lot better than a

That's not what they told me. They told me the 5.56 was inconsistent in killing bad guys . Black Hills believed them and developed a new round for them which I believe they eventually went to.

Why was the 6.8 developed?Because some don't feel the 5.56 adequate.

Those "some" were enough for a major manufacture, Remington, to spend 10s of thousands of dollars to develop the 6.8 cartridge.

An acquaintance of mine spent 28 years in SF, mostly in first and seventh groups, and told me he prefers 5.56mm because he can shoot people twice as much in the same amount of time. He doesn't like the new 5.56mm ammunition and likes the old M193, which is better than M855 in almost every way. He also tells me that he hasn't seen a caliber that will drop someone every time.

The origin of MK 262: AMU had a pallet of 5.56 pressure ammunition in 77 and 69 grain. There were more 77s so they sent them over to be used by SF guys with MK12s. SF guys started using the ammunition in their M4s because it is more effective than M855. Black Hills later developed the Mod 1 variant with an eye towards terminal effect.

The BH load developed specifically for terminal effect and SF is the 70gr TSX. I forget the name for it, but it's characterized by a brown tip. A friend gave me some, and some MK262, but I haven't tried it yet.

Remington, or specifically one or two people at Remington, have done nearly everything in their power to kill 6.8 in its cradle. And if it wasn't for Hornady and SSA, they would have succeeded.

If we were to select new rifles, 7x46 for LMGs and riflemen, and 6x35 for RTOs, officers, SNCOs, medics, fire and maneuver units. Tilting bolt, like an FAL, would be preferable. Or a three lug AK style bolt.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Funny thing is a lot of guys will accept that fact the even huge hunting rounds (338 Win, 375 H&H, etc) will not absolutely positively knock down a deer. Even with solid COM hits. They accept that the deer might run off and die 20 or more steps down the trail.

But when this fact of Mammalian Physiology occurs in combat situations, its somehow surprising.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 07/28/10.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (16gage, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,958
Posts18,519,418
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.