Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
A couple weeks ago there was a thread somewhere on this site that "implied" that CZ Rifles, Sako Rifles and Kimber Rifles were somehow comparable to the Winchester pre-64 Model 70's!
Yeah, if YOU can believe that.
I of course defended the fine, accurate, strong, handsome and SAFE pre-64 Winchester Model 70's (as I have for decades now).
Then, today, I get wind of Field & Streams "50 Best Firearms Ever Made" list/article!
I mosey on over to that site (link enclosed at end of my post) and what do I see at THE very TOP of the list of "50 Best Firearms Ever Made" - YES at THE top, at #1, numero uno, THE BEST FIREARM EVER MADE is the pre-64 Winchester Model 70!!!
Then, I peruse the list in its entirety and NOT ONE Sako, CZ or Kimber firearm is listed on that list!
Now one can disagree with the learned folks at Field and Stream over the contents and order of the list - but for them to recognize the "Riflemans Rifle" as the #1 Best Firearm Ever Made certainly lends creedence to and confirms MY contention that the pre-64 Model 70 is a VERY FINE and very popular Rifle!
The list is rather interesting and the folks at Big Green (Remington!) had 4 (four!) arms IN the top ten of their list of Best Firearms Ever Made!
Link to follow:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/kentucky/2007/09/50-best-guns-ever-made

Or if this does not work just "search" for: Field and Stream.com

Long live the Riflemans Rifle - the pre-64 Winchester Model 70!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if Remington is a big advertiser with Field & Stream?
And I would agree that a Pre 64 is at the top.

Edited to add:

Pretty good read. Nice to see the Freedom Arms, Nula, Model 12 and even the Tikka T3. Kinda suprised the Savage 110 was way ahead of the 99, but it is Field and Stream. List is just like rating guitar players. Everyone has there favorites and not one person will agree on all them, but you gotta have Hendrix at #1 or you'll get slammed for hating a dead black guitar god. LOL From now on I'm calling my Pre 64 FW Jimi.

Last edited by Higbean; 07/28/10.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah, Winchester spent a ton of coin designing the BEST.

Didn't Oliver lose an eye making the '70?

Just an opinion, but number two should get the nod for safest, best, most prolific; but evidently the 70 is an "improvement" over a 98 and '03 but a Kimber 8400 or a Model 700 is not over a 70?

I find it intriguing that the very best, safest bolt action firearm in existence has not been made for 46 years; that and the fact that the Kentucky or Pennsylvania rifles didn't make the grade.

I guess the sages at F&S must all be way past their sixties and very successful in their twenties; imagine how that list would read if they were all 120.....or maybe only 30.

MY contention is that CZ's, Sakos, Kimbers and Remingtons are fine rifles and just a lineage over the fine ones that preceeded them.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Who still reads field & stream?

I have owned and shot alot of rifles in my time. I can't help it I like to trade and shoot new rifles.

I did not own a true 1/2 inch (3 shots) rifle until I bought a Sako 75 in 300 ultra. I have carried and hunted with that rifle all over the mid-west and west for the last 10 years. Just in case you wanted to know it will stop charging prairie dogs and jack rabbits...grin.

I now own five sako rifles. ALL of them will shoot 1/2 (3 shot) groups. Most will do it with several different loads. I have yet to own a sako that I could not make shoot.

I have owned piles of Remington and Winchesters rifles though I have never really played with a pre-64. Most of my Remingtons will shoot in the .75 to 1.25 inches (3 shot). I do have a sendero II in 300 ultra and a 223 in varmint that will approach the 1/2 inch but load development for them has not been as easy as my Sako's.

I don't know if I have been un-lucky with winchester rifles or just did not try the right load but if I can get them to shoot a true inch that is about the best I can make them shoot. Maybe there stocks just don't fit me some how..

I will always believe that a Sako rifle is better than any Remington or Winchester standard production rifle. This goes for there rimfire,varmint or big game rifles.

Dink

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Firstly, I've been a long time fan of Winchester, Browning, Remington, Kimber and Sako rifles. I liked them all and have many different models over the years.

Having said that, none compare to the Blaser R93 or the new R8 when it comes to the number one spot. smile

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Who still reads field & stream?" Guy's like my Dad, who have been reading it for 60+ years! He still drops them by for me when he is finished - there are some good articles in them occasionally. Last year they had one on practicing for field shooting - it had some good ideas in it.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Those that read and don't do and the dreamers with 1 day of experience likely make up 98% of FS readers.

Only makes sense that the M70 came out on top to keep the readers happy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try reading guns and ammo...

The [bleep] print is so small you have to break out the microscope

It came yesterday with a paper cover that said, your next issue will be your last. I threw it in the trash.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
F&S beats the hell out of Redbook and most offerings at the DR's office but past that there ain't much there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello
What, No Eye candy in this thread, I can change all that with The Swiss watch quailty rifles made by Husqvarna of Sweeden. Here's one I recently Landed a 1967 Model that was Importerd to S&W in 30-06 Caliber.....I Plan to Bust a Razor Back's Azz with this in the early winter Month's.... grin Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd read Jet before I got another subsciption to G&A.

I like Craig Boddington, but you can almost predict what he'll say on any given subject.

Reading about Garry James shooting some worn out antique gun is about as painful as airing up a tractor tire with a bicycle pump.

Then throw in all the AR bullschit and Pat Sweeney shooting some plastic pistol using the highest grip in the firearms world and you have the makings of a puke fest.

Trying to be all things to all people seldom works.

JM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
generalstuart,

Nice rifle, but that scope is gonna pop you in the eye pard. wink

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
One thing to remember is that shooting 1/2" groups isn't the only criteria to define a rifle as "the best ever" .Much more has to be taken into account such as asthetics,weight,balance,reliability and affordability.I would however put the Model 70 at or near the top of the list.Curious though,are handguns included cause if so,the Colt Python would undoubtably be in the top 5.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The FN Brownings were a better rifle than the Model 70 in almost every way. They just weren't as affordable.

The Best and Most Popular are often confused.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think they should change the title to the 50 best sporting firearms ever made, instead of the top 50 guns. Out of the 50 only 2 had a military heritage. The Mauser 98 and the '03 Springfield.

Otto is my co-pilot.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I agree the Model 70 is #1. The thing I found issue with is this isn't a top 50 list. It's a most popular list.

They listed the model 94 above the Marlin 336. This doesn't make sense to me.

Even the author says the following:

"Marlin's 336 is not as famous as the Winchester 94, but that is about the only way in which it falls short. It is the other Deer Rifle Supreme, and I believe it is a considerably better gun."

If it's a better gun it should have been farther up the list.

Tom

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ok they lost all credibility with me. The Tika came in at 49. To even whisper that name in a top 50 discussion should get your balls stomped into paste.

What a total load of crap.

I'm claiming paid advertising.

Tom

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by statjunk
Ok they lost all credibility with me. The Tika came in at 49. To even whisper that name in a top 50 discussion should get your balls stomped into paste.

What a total load of crap.

I'm claiming paid advertising.

Tom

+1000

To mention Tikka but not Sako , and to have a Mossberg..........Mossberg 500 in the top 15 along with a POS Salvage 110 throws those FS opinions tot he curb and lets not even mention the Remington xp100

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'd take a Montucky over and Pre or Post '64 Winny.

The S&W 41 is something I'll nominate,if only to mix things up..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thought I might see a Shiloh and perhaps a Holland and Holland or two.

1Minute
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,596
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.