Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm bck, typed a big reply Boltman after you posted the link, darn thing just disappeared. As did my reply here a few minutes ago. Don't know whats wrong, some fine fire arms i that auction. Anyone want to take a guess on the value of the marlin pump in 250?

darn shame you missed that rifle after waiting all that time, is is the one in your last picture? Looks to be an all metal .

Gene was that link to sav 99, a pump action design on a sav 99? Can't get it to open for me.

Surprised this thread generated so much interest, it has certainly been enjoyable for me and a clearly a lot of others

Johno

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
it has certainly been enjoyable for me and a clearly a lot of others

John,

Don't know if you can visualize an early 20th century American country store with an old potbelly stove and a bunch of chairs around it filled with good ole boys sipping coffee and telling tales. That's pretty much what you've got here. Everybody's got an opinion and everybody gets their chance to get listened to. Some know, some want to know and some will never know. There's bluff and blow and true knowledge with favorites and whipping boys. Its all free and most of its worth what you pay for it. Its up to you to snatch those little pearls of wisdom and squirrel them away. The companionship is what makes it work and for the most part we're all better for it.

George

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Is this the one you didnt get today?

Yes - that is the one I didn't get this past Saturday. The bidding was jumping in $100 increments as quick as a fully automatic rifle. As I was phone bidding I had the disadvantage of not being able to examine the rifle in the flesh. Later, through a friend who knew the winner I was able to obtain better pictures. That would have made a difference and I would have bid more had I seen those pictures or held the rifle. Oh well, maybe another one will come up for sale in another 35 years frown

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by boltman
Gary - here is an off-topic rifle for you to puzzle over. Here's an initial picture:
[Linked Image]

Here's another shot of the forearm. It's ironic as the main reason I didn't blow through with a winning bid was the forearm. The picture I had to work with (prior to the auction) of the forearm was quite dark. I made the assumption that the brass exterior (i.e. moose/bear) sleeve was missing. I was unaware the forearm was checkered and obviously original. I had never seen a forearm like this and expected either brass or wood. That's what happens when you search for a rifle for over 30 years yet had never seen one or even a picture.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by boltman; 08/03/10.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
George,

Good words! I liked them so much I put them up in the "Misc. Good Things" sticky. wink

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve, at least you know what you are looking for, now.

The cartridge is just listed as a .50 cal, buckshot or ball. Do you know what cartridge it shot? Have you seen one?

Last edited by Rick99; 08/03/10.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One time at the Saratoga NY gunshow (pre 2000)..Chas Yellott had a 'Peerless' engraved Rem 14 on the table for sale...it was like new and unfired. After the show,I went home and told my Pop about it. The next day Pop and I went to Chas to look over and buy the Mod 14. It had belonged to Harry Uhlein of Schlitz Brewing,and came from his estate in Lake Placid NY. Traded it for an 1899 SRC in 38-55 in the same condition and some cash and catalogs. Should of taken pictures of that one.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Rick - as best I can tell, the "camp rifle" sometimes referred to as a, "camp carbine" shot a variation of .50-70 cartridge. What a caliber departure for an action developed around the .30 Remington, .35 Remington, etc.

Jed - that peerless engraved M14 Remington sounds like an exceptional find. Of course a like new Sav. .38/55 SRC is nothing to sneeze at either. Both would fit in nicely here.

As Gary Grogel referenced in an earlier thread, I have been very enthused about this stuff since a young age. I still have the various free catalogs I picked up at gunshops and hardware stores as a young child. Vintage repeating rifles have had strong appeal going way back. My Dad hunted with a M1886 .33 Winchester when I was very young. I had an uncle with a Sav. .250 and I recall the year my cousin (who was a year or two older than me) used it to shoot a monster Minnesota whitetail. My grandfather used a M1886 .45/90 and I recall my grandmother mentioning that even though she would hear a lot of shooting during the course of a deer hunting season, she also new when it was the .45/90 that had been touched off. Also, my great uncle used a Winchester M1876 .40/60. As I started researching firearms I was enthralled to learn about the .50 caliber repeating rifles. First I learned about the .50 caliber M86's and then came awareness of the '76 Winchester in .50/95 and then the Bullard in .50/115 and the Colt Express pump in .50/95. Oh, and the Whitney-Kennedy in .50/95. Speaking of the Whitney-Kennedy in .50 caliber, I have located two in 30+ years and neither were for sale. And finally, the elusive Standard Arms .50 caliber camp rifle. I pined away for all of these - and the pining hasn't let up much. I guess this is just like George described, sitting around the potbelly stove with the good ole boys smile

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
George.
It must have started raining, I had us outside. Sitting beside a nice trout stream, listening to the red deer roar in the hills. Thats ok we can go in by the fire and pass one of them jugs around filled with the elixer the hill people make on dark foggy nights.

Steve, must be a heart breaker to miss that. I made a similar mistake on a 250-3000, still had the gunstore sticker on the side. Had a friend at the auction check it for me. He said it had a poor re finish job. Turned out to be what Jedd refers to as crocodile skin, it was all original the finish had just gone bad. It went cheap and was in top condition. Never look after the auction, only hurts ya.

Johno

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Johno -

Never looking back is good advice, but I have trouble following it. I haven't given up on this rifle. I know the winning bidder got a bit carried away and went over his planned limit. He may have some buyer's remorse. He may find something else he wants more. I may even find another one. A friend had a lead on one in the last couple days.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It must have started raining, I had us outside.

Sitting beside a trout stream would be nice. I probably picked an indoor scenario, as you suggested, because I live in an area where it rains or is overcast close to 300 days a year. Either place would make for good conversation.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm getting thirsty just reading this.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to have buyers remorse when they only go for 20.00

[Linked Image]

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Gary - leave it to you to find a photo! This is the first advertising photo I have ever seen. Thank you much. I also now know that it held three shots total - I never knew that. It makes sense how much fatter the .50/70 cartridge is. I had expected they would have a wood forearm and that is what I expected on the rifle I bid on. Although the metal forend looked original to me. I understand some of these guns were made up from parts after the factory went under. Interesting that the ad states it is .50 caliber but gives no information beyond that. Also interesting that they don't specify it was a smoothbore. We know for sure the rifle didn't catch on and I am not surprised.

Johno - this is one heck of an interesting thread you started.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found a website that says only 25 to 30 camp guns where ever made. Is that still the believed production number?

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, that's the number I keep hearing for production. One would think surviving specimens would be particularly low for a rifle that basically wasn't good for much and for which ammunition was likely extremely hard to find.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I made you a shirt to wear to gun shows smile
Wanted shirt

grin grin

Do you have any Idea how many are accounted for in collections?

Last edited by Grogel_Deluxe; 08/03/10.

Remembering The 99
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That's a pretty attractive and sporty T-shirt Gary. However, I guess if I happened to walk up to a table at a gunshow and there was a Camp Rifle laying there, it would be difficult for me to play the, "barely interested" angle wink. Some years ago - ten or more - I talked to two different guys who collected these and had multiple specimens. Those were the only ones I had heard of in collections, until this one came up for auction.

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Its sure been a fun thread, wandered all over the place. Now T shirts, and its a beaut. Buyers remorse, somehow I don't think ya should hold your breath on that, but you never know.

Johno

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Gene, is it just me or does it seem that when the task of entering all that pat. info was done, many of the firearms related items where miss spelled in such a way to make them hard to find.

Maybe if I searched for other types of patents I would find its not just gun stuff and I could put my tinfoil hat away.

Steve, I hope you havnt run out of OT guns to show us, Ive been enjoying your pictures and thinking about what you said at the fest about how as a child you ate gun catalogs.

Gary - nope I am not out of O.T. interesting rifles to show. As you know, I like antique/vintage big bore repeating rifles a lot. Here's a teaser photo. A pair of American made big bore repeating rifles with round barrels and full length tubular magazines mounted underneath. These load in the bottom.
[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 50 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,107
Posts18,502,189
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.