Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am going on a 12-day hunt in SW AK from Sept 5-17--just me and my guide. We will be landing on a lake, floating a few miles, and setting up camp at the primary hunt site. There are several sites we may camp at down river the remaining days. Get picked up at the end about 40 miles down river.

Question: For a hunt like that how many of the follwoing would you bring?

Socks?
Sock Liners?
Boxers?
T-shirts?
Lightweight long underwear bottoms and tops?

I want to keep the weight down, but we will not be carrying the stuff very far.

For example, a stack of 12 ExOfficio boxers weighs about 2.5 lbs. How often do you all change you base layers on a float hunt where there can be the potential for significant rain at times?

I've happily gone long periods between clothing changes in the military in the past, but part of me thinks on an expensive hunt, having a dry change of base layer every night would be worth the extra few extra pounds. Part of me thinks I am being excessive. What do you all do?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seperate daily wear from night wear/camp wear.

Have a change of clothes that are comfortable in camp. They will last for many, many days. What you hunt in and sweat in is a different story.

Elimiate the cotton, except for camp use. For hunting use synthetics or wool. Elimating cotton entirely isn't a bad idea either. wink

fish head

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll add to what I said.

Socks. Merino wool or synthetic equivalents.

Sock liners. Yes, a couple of pair. Depends upon what works for you and your boots.

Boxers. Not my first choice. I prefer tighty whities or better yet, synthetic underwear. It doesn't matter so much whether they are boxers or briefs but it does matter what material they're made of. Cotton underwear wiil glue to your azz in two days. Synthetics, not so much.

Cotton t-shirts are are great in camp, but for hunting use in wet weather - no, no.

Yes on the lightweight underwear. It's what I use. Medium or heavy weight just ain't for me. I hate over heating. That's the first mistake you'll make going to Alaska. It's not that cold.

fish head

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One more thing. What you wear on the outside is the MOST important layer of clothing. Goretex only works for a limited ammount of time. When you have a chance to dry everything out it's OK but it falls way short when compared to 100% non- breathable 100% waterproof rainwear.

I'd take a complete set of each type.

Just MYHO.

fish head

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a few beers tonight.

blush blush blush

OK?

fish head

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
12 pair of boxers for 12 days is way crazy..
3 pair at the most.
If your thinking about taking that many boxers, I cant imagine the rest of the pile that has to be trimmed.

Socks, 4 pair.
Sock liners, 2 pair. If your boots are broke in and you have good socks(Bridgedale), you really shouldnt need liners on a float hunt.
T-shirts, 3 or 4.
Long undies, 1 set.
You are on water so things can be washed/rinsed if needed.
All synthetic as usual. Ken

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by fish head
I had a few beers tonight.

blush blush blush

OK?

fish head

You're still talking sense, tho. Have a couple more. smile

This ain't a back-pack hunt, after all - so take at least one set of dedicated camp-only clothes . To me, dry socks/underwear worn in the sleeping bag (be sure THAT is synthetic fill for this hunt!) are pure ecstasy. I'd take a half-dozen sets of sock changes (light ones inside, 2nd pair heavy.) But you could get by with 4 complete changes. Different colors to help keep them straight.

With synthetics, you can wash them out in the river/lake, shake them nearly dry, and if necessary, wear them the rest of the way dry while hunting. I'd take an extra set of outer clothes - besides the camp ones - you might catch a break and they'll actually dry in camp while you are out hunting in the other set. Don't forget a watch cap or balaclava for going to bedin, also- better yet, a neck gaiter or balaclava that pulls well down on your neck for sleeping in.

3 rules to a successful hunt:

1. Enough calories
2. Sleep well (not necessarily even dry- that's where the synthetic bag comes in)
3. Take care of your feet. That means several complete sock changes, moleskin, stopping several times a day to take the boots off and air the feet, tend hot spots (at the very first sign!!!), wash the feet, change socks, etc.

All else is managable, no matter how miserable it gets.

All clothing should be synthetic - ditto on fishhead's rain gear advice.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kenneth
12 pair of boxers for 12 days is way crazy..
3 pair at the most.
If your thinking about taking that many boxers, I cant imagine the rest of the pile that has to be trimmed.

Socks, 4 pair.
Sock liners, 2 pair. If your boots are broke in and you have good socks(Bridgedale), you really shouldnt need liners on a float hunt.
T-shirts, 3 or 4.
Long undies, 1 set.
You are on water so things can be washed/rinsed if needed.
All synthetic as usual. Ken

I think on liners you are thinking waterproof... and he is talking wicking liners... I tend to carry liner socks for every other day and only a couple of pairs of main socks... 12 day hunt I'd carry 4 liner socks and 2 regular socks... carry 4 pairs of underwear... wear in a set of layers and keep a nylon outer layer as a spare adn one spare set of insulated(being that we are used to 100 plus... our insulated spare is a set of silk and a set of heavy or medium merino. Also carry a heavier jacket just in case.... usually a wool one...

Don't use goretex on purpose any more... carry HH or similar RAIN gear not goretest .... goretest will get you wet.

2 pairs of gloves.... we are not able to lounge in camp.... our camp time means get in at dark, take everything off basically and crawl under the tarp etc.... and boil water for supper... eat in the sleeping bag, sleep in the bag etc.. I'm talking backpacking mostly..

I would have another change of camp clothes if we had a bigger tent though... and some crocs to lounge in and a wood stove....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Underarmor boxer briefs work great, they fit snug enough to prevent inner thigh chaffing.

You don't need 12 of anything, you need to learn how to do laundry in the bush. Take a roll-rop dry bag, put your dirty stuff in it, add some biodegradable soap like Dr Bronners, then fill the bag 1/3 full (warm water wouldn't hurt if you can heat it over a fire). Then, shake like hell for a while, then let it set for 20 min, then shake it again. Dispose of the sudsy water 100yd from any stream. Wring clothing, then repeat with water only. Your clothes will be clean. If you have a heated shelter, drying is easy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just re-read what I posted last night and I'm not gonna change a thing.

A couple of years ago I bought some synthetic briefs at REI ($18.00) that are great. No more monkey butt for me. smile

Just wearing polypropelene long under didn't offer any support and cotton briefs sick to you're azz when you sweat and don't dry out. The synthetic undies eliminated that problem. They're good for a couple of days without washing too.

fish head

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never did get used to HH's raingear, I keep trying the latest stuff, and by danged, the Gore-tex has gotten better, and eVent fabric is great too. The latest Goretex costs crazy money, but I'll take it over the HH, but that's just me.
Don

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd take 3 pair of the Ex-Oficio boxers, a change of socks for each day, something like Lorpen or Merino wool would be a good choice.

I'd also bring along 2 pair of some sort of moisture wicking long underwear, I normally wear poly pro but lately have been using the Sitka stuff.

Bring a pair of comfy camp shoes, preferably something you can slip on and off easily. Trust me, you'll be glad you have them after a long day chasing moose or whatever it is your hunting.

For rain gear, your still not going to get any better than HH Impertech IMO and since your doing a float I see no need to worry about weight when it comes to rain gear.

Keep a dry set of clothes in a good dry bag along with your sleeping clothes.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good point about the float vs the BP type hunt! As far as camp shoes go, I found CROC ,makes a boot. I got that for the last goat hunt, thinking that camp is usually about ankle deep in mud, and it was heaven to be able to take off those heavy Meindls at the end of the day. Of course the guide was wearing Extra-Tuffs, so he didn't need to change

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
All good advice. One suggestion would be a small pack of unscented "baby wipes". My time spent in back country,(not AK, but wet is wet and cold is cold), worse case, you can usually dip your underware in something wet to get rid of the crust. A small ziplock with some of the wipes will go a long way towards stalling off baboon-azz, and you can toss em in the fire. Just not while your cooking over it....upwind is a good place to be too...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10-4 on the baby wipes, certainly a staple for any camping

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"...upwind is a good place to be too..."

laugh yes, that is way true in this case....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll add in one bit of advice on a float/trip hunt based on my one experience doing it.

A float trip falls somewhere in between a backpack hunt and car camiping as far as gear in general goes. The one sorta pain to contend with is having to break camp and move many times. Bring everything you will need and use, but don't go overboard on the gear. The closer you get it to a pack to a backpack hunt the better. It makes packing up and moving a lot easier and quicker.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
12 day hunt---(non-backpack)

6 pr Underarmour briefs
6 pr Cabela's Outfitter synthetic socks
6 pr light poly-pro socks (under the others)
2-3 Underarmour T-shirts
2 Cabela's Micro-Tex shirts
2 pr Cabela's Micro-Tex pants

You can always rinse out the briefs and socks, hang up to dry in the alders, and they'll be good as new.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys for all the helpful comments and advice! I�m shipping stuff out in the next couple of days. Talked to my guide last night and he is on board with what I�m bringing, which is set out in the list below.

FWIW, every molecule of fabric is synthetic. I highly prefer the exOfficio boxers to any other UW I have ever worn either in the city or in the wild. I like the material better than the UA stuff, and it has the opening to let you pee without unbuckling your belt and unbuttoning your pants (my rain pants also have zippers).

Note the chemical warmers listed below are not for warmth, but they can dry out boots and socks when you put them in the boot and a damp sock loosely in the top overnight.

Guide has pretty much anything else not on this list, including fly fishing gear, food, head nets (he�s never had to use them where we are going); cooking stuff, tent, cots, pads, raft, etc �

Note that the guide was expecting to take both me and my father, but my dad had to cancel. So, even with my eight socks, etc � the raft will be loaded much lighter than if my dad was coming with all his gear.

Here�s the list:

LUGGAGE: Two changes of clothes for second leg of trip and return.

WEAR WHILE HUNTING/FLOATING:

Clothes: 1 pair underwear/t-shirt/fleece (all synthetic); thin lightweight synth. long UW (if necessary); ExOfficio Neo Amphi pants; rain rants; Boots (800gr insulated; waterproof gators; Smart Wool socks/liner); wool brimmed hat.

Backpack: Includes: Waders (Neos River Trekker); insulated/waterproof hunting gloves; extra layers as needed from below.

782 (Deuce) Gear (Cartridge belt/H-harness):
* Front Chest Pouch (Eberlestock A2MP MultiPack): binos (10x42 Geovids)
* L-F Pouch: Emergency Food 4 Cliff Bars); water purification tablets
* R-F Pouch: Compass; headlamp; small knife; lip balm; GPS/extra Sat. phone
* L-M Pouch: Camera (Olympus 8010 in waterproof bag); sunglasses; light waterproof gloves
* R-M Pouch:.375 Wby Cartridges
* RM: G20 in holster; knife in sheath
* L-R Pouch: Reserve gear bag w/ zip lock inside containing: batteries (3 AAA; 2 AA; 1 CR2); box of waterproof matches (REI); Headlamp (extra); insect repellent; lighters (2); lighter fluid (for making fire in difficult times in emergency of away from camp)
* R-R Pouch: Cigars; toilette paper
* Canteen Pouches (2) w/ full 1-liter bottles
* Fanny Pack: First aid kit � small (incl. a few Excedrin & Tums); fleece cap; face mask; fleece vest; poncho (lightweight); rain jacket (strapped on the back); waterproof gloves (uninsulated)
* On Harness: Whistle.

EXTRA CLOTHING IN E-VENT COMPRESSION BAGS INSIDE CABELA�S WATERPROOF BAGS:
Sleeping Bag (synthetic)
8 underwear/t-shirts (lightweight synthetic)
8 Smart Wool socks/liners
2 pants (lightweight ExOfficio Nio Amphi)
2 lightweight synthetic tops & bottoms
1 mid-weight synthetic top & bottom
Fleece jacket (zippered)
Jacket Liner (insulated)
Synthetic Insulated bottom
Extra lightweight rain jackets & pants (I know this sounds excessive, but I�m bringing them)
Gaiters (extra pair).

HYGIENE BAG: Ear plugs; camp towel (2 lightweight); deodorant (A&H � i.e. scent-reducing); lip balm; liquid camping soap (tiny bottle); pills (Ibuprofen, Excedrin, vitamins, Tums, Imodium; Cipro antibiotics); liquid nasal decongestant; toilet paper; toothbrush & paste; washcloth; wet-wipes.

RESERVE GEAR BAG: AAA batteries (9); AA batteries (8); bags (6 trash & 6 large zip lock); waterproof matches (2 extra boxes-REI-in zip lock); cord; electrical tape; extra straps; flashlight (tiny single AA, extra); knife sharpener.

GUN KIT: .375 & 10mm brushes; gun oil; patches; rod; solvent.

OTHER: Small/light GoreTex brimmed hat; chemical warmers (12-hr large; 10-hr small); extra cigars; boots (extra pair, light hikers); book; playing cards (52); Emergency food (energy bars (12), jerky); laundry bags (3 mesh-allows clothes to dry to some extent); note pad and pen; radio (small S.W.).

RIFLE CASE: Wby Mk V DGR (.375 Wby w/ safari sling & Bushnell 6500 1.25-8x32mm); Glock G20 SF; 2 boxes of Wby 300gr NP loads; waterproof gun sleeve; box 10mm 200gr HC rounds).

Too much? Too little? Just right?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your missing camp shoes, something I never float hunt without anymore and 8 t-shirts seems like a lot to me but there really isn't a weight concern so that's not a big deal.
Why all the trash bags, your guide/outfitter should have them. Suggest you bring a pair of gloves too. Other than that, your list looks pretty solid.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,486
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.