Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another view of the WikiLeaks scandal, from Ron Paul:

Our foreign policy was in the spotlight last week, which is exactly where it should be. Almost two years ago many voters elected someone they thought would lead us to a more peaceful, rational co-existence with other countries. However, while attention has been focused on the administration�s disastrous economic policies, its equally disastrous foreign policies have exacerbated our problems overseas. Especially in times of economic crisis, we cannot afford to ignore costly foreign policy mistakes. That�s why it is important that U.S. foreign policy receive some much-needed attention in the media, as it did last week with the leaked documents scandal.

Many are saying that the WikiLeaks documents tell us nothing new. In some ways this is true. Most Americans knew that we have been fighting losing battles. These documents show just how bad it really is. The revelation that Pakistani intelligence is assisting the people we are bombing in Afghanistan shows the quality of friends we are making with our foreign policy. This kind of thing supports points that Rep. Dennis Kucinich and I tried to make on the House floor last week with a privileged resolution that would have directed the administration to remove troops from Pakistan pursuant to the War Powers Resolution.

We are not at war with Pakistan. Congress has made no declaration of war. (Actually, we made no declaration of war on Iraq or Afghanistan either, but that is another matter.) Yet we have troops in Pakistan engaging in hostile activities, conducting drone attacks and killing people. We sometimes manage to kill someone who has been identified as an enemy, yet we also kill about 10 civilians for every 1 of those. Pakistani civilians are angered by this, yet their leadership is mollified by our billions in bribe money. We just passed an appropriations bill that will send another $7.5 billion to Pakistan. One wonders how much of this money will end up helping the Taliban. This whole operation is clearly counterproductive, inappropriate, immoral and every American who values the rule of law should be outraged. Yet these activities are being done so quietly that most Americans, as well as most members of the House, don�t even know about them.

We should follow constitutional protocol when going to war. It is there for a reason. If we are legitimately attacked, it is the job of Congress to declare war. We then fight the war, win it and come home. War should be efficient, decisive and rare. However, when Congress shirks its duty and just gives the administration whatever it wants with no real oversight or meaningful debate, wars are never-ending, wasteful, and political. Our so-called wars have become a perpetual drain on our economy and liberty.

The founders knew that heads of state are far too eager to engage in military conflicts. That is why they entrusted the power to go to war with the deliberative body closest to the people � the Congress. Decisions to go to war need to be supported by the people. War should not be covert or casual. We absolutely should not be paying off leaders of a country while killing their civilians without expecting to create a lot of new problems. This is not what America is supposed to be about.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Stan V
Originally Posted by Bristoe
You-uns-is need to get behind Obammer own this war against them Africanstans. I seen a movie about how the English damn near got run out here while back and them Africanstans was rough as a cob,...hollerin' out ZOOLOO ZOOLOO, stompin they feet and a carryin' own. And they women didn't wear no brazeers either. In fact they didn't wear mucha nuthin. They'd do summa that ZOOLOO hollerin' too,..be jumpin' here and there,...big ole hooters just a floppin.

LMAO!

I got it! You sound like Will Smith in Men In Black....

Every now and then I feel a peculiar need to try and fit in.

I think my above post makes about as much sense as any of the those from the good "conservatives" on here who are jabbering in circles while trying to manufacture some reasonable justification for Obama's war.

It's one of the more ridiculous things I've seen on this forum (and that's saying something),..but the same people who believe that Obama is a foreign born, Marxist, Muslim subversive,.support his war initiatives in the middle east!

Like I said,..the warmongering mentality is a sickness,...it's serious bent noodle shiit when it reaches the level witnessed on here.

Goob, O ain't on the ground leading the troops, he's not leading anything/anyone except dims over a cliff.

I hear tell Mexico/Syria are the places to be, heads up for someone that never outgrew the 60's.....drop acid, not bombs!

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barak
Incidentally, it means that a consistent libertarian can't advocate laws against libel or slander either. Your reputation doesn't belong to you: it consists of thousands of individual opinions that each belong to the individuals who hold them. Thus, when somebody adjusts those opinions, he can't be said to have committed any offense against you.

(However, depending on circumstances, he may have committed fraud--against the folks whose opinions he adjusted, not against you--which is actionable.)

A strict libertarian, perhaps not. But what of the Christian?
The good Lord calls it bearing false witness. It can in fact leave a victim if his reputation among his peers is falsely shot full of holes.
And, that the unwise listener believes a rumor is as much his own fault, if not more, than the guy doing the telling. The good Lord speaks of that as well, that one is called rumor mongering. The wise liistener doesn't necessarily believe but remembers and watches just in case.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Incidentally, it means that a consistent libertarian can't advocate laws against libel or slander either. Your reputation doesn't belong to you: it consists of thousands of individual opinions that each belong to the individuals who hold them. Thus, when somebody adjusts those opinions, he can't be said to have committed any offense against you.

(However, depending on circumstances, he may have committed fraud--against the folks whose opinions he adjusted, not against you--which is actionable.)

A strict libertarian, perhaps not. But what of the Christian?
The good Lord calls it bearing false witness. It can in fact leave a victim if his reputation among his peers is falsely shot full of holes.
And, that the unwise listener believes a rumor is as much his own fault, if not more, than the guy doing the telling. The good Lord speaks of that as well, that one is called rumor mongering. The wise liistener doesn't necessarily believe but remembers and watches just in case.

Don't confuse morality with law. The two are mortal enemies: morality turns law into injustice, and law corrodes morality into nonexistence.

You would agree with me, I suspect, that laws against the use of marijuana are unjust and should be repealed. Does that mean, then, that we should all go out and smoke marijuana? No, that would be silly.

Similarly, the assertion that laws against slander are unjust doesn't imply that slander should be compulsory.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Don't confuse morality with law. The two are mortal enemies
============

Laffin'...you see things through a most peculiar kaleidoscope,Barak!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's right, Bob.

Look how much legalized theft goes on. All with rubber stamp and nodded approval of legislators, courts and enforcers.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ps
And that's just this country.
Some others are far, far worse.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Suppose a bunch of Syrian civilians get murdered, and the Syrian government blames it on a group of Brits in the UK and demands that they be handed over for prosecution, and the British government refuses to extradite them.

Does that mean Syria is justified in invading England?

Or does it only work that way when it's brown people?

You make some good posts sometimes, but all I can say about that one is "F.U."

War is a terrible thing requiring terrible acts. The American people can barely stick hamburgers in their mouths without feeling guilty about it.

This leak was meant not only to expose intelligence, but to put Americans on another guilt trip and thereby derail the war effort. If Americans were strong, we'd just brush it off and call for more. But America is a pussified state without any resolve or stomach for reality.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Semantical word games coupled with bizarre thoughts and concepts don't make anyone right or wrong, just bizarre!

Remember,stealing from the government isn't wrong in Barak's world!! So, he's either a hypocrite or attempting to validate his thought processes with sophomoric,child-like concepts and opinions. You know, stuff you hear in the psych hospitals.

Last edited by isaac; 08/04/10.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To some folks protecting one's self from theft is a theft from the one intent on doing the taking.

Particularly when it's been scribbled on a piece of paper by someone that one perceives to be his ruler.

Very convoluted world we live in...

smile

My initial post on this little side track from the thread topic was in reference to God's judgments. They are just. And it behooves us all to align our lives with them.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BarryC

War is a terrible thing requiring terrible acts. The American people can barely stick hamburgers in their mouths without feeling guilty about it.

This leak was meant not only to expose intelligence, but to put Americans on another guilt trip and thereby derail the war effort. If Americans were strong, we'd just brush it off and call for more. But America is a pussified state without any resolve or stomach for reality.

Very true and very well said!

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Some Congressional leaders are now speaking of the PFC's execution, if convicted.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
jorge, what you don't seem capable of comprehending is that I deny the Founders were isolationists, i.e., it is my contention that it amounts to propaganda for your side to characterize their foreign policy as such. It is therefore your burden to argue that they were, if you wish to contend against my position.

Your lack of comprehension amazes me sometimes. The FFs were the complete OPPOSITE of isolationists as Pugs pointed out, they enjoined a multitude of treaties and alliances to PROFFER an aggressive foreign policy, and without such policies, Manifest Destiny (and the Monroe Doctrine) maybe would have never happened. You on the other hand, want to stick your head in the sand behind some imaginary wall and forgo any sort of foreign policy that is in the National Interest.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Another view of the WikiLeaks scandal, from Ron Paul:

Our foreign policy was in the spotlight last week, which is exactly where it should be. Almost two years ago many voters elected someone they thought would lead us to a more peaceful, rational co-existence with other countries. However, while attention has been focused on the administration�s disastrous economic policies, its equally disastrous foreign policies have exacerbated our problems overseas. Especially in times of economic crisis, we cannot afford to ignore costly foreign policy mistakes. That�s why it is important that U.S. foreign policy receive some much-needed attention in the media, as it did last week with the leaked documents scandal.

Many are saying that the WikiLeaks documents tell us nothing new. In some ways this is true. Most Americans knew that we have been fighting losing battles. These documents show just how bad it really is. The revelation that Pakistani intelligence is assisting the people we are bombing in Afghanistan shows the quality of friends we are making with our foreign policy. This kind of thing supports points that Rep. Dennis Kucinich and I tried to make on the House floor last week with a privileged resolution that would have directed the administration to remove troops from Pakistan pursuant to the War Powers Resolution.

We are not at war with Pakistan. Congress has made no declaration of war. (Actually, we made no declaration of war on Iraq or Afghanistan either, but that is another matter.) Yet we have troops in Pakistan engaging in hostile activities, conducting drone attacks and killing people. We sometimes manage to kill someone who has been identified as an enemy, yet we also kill about 10 civilians for every 1 of those. Pakistani civilians are angered by this, yet their leadership is mollified by our billions in bribe money. We just passed an appropriations bill that will send another $7.5 billion to Pakistan. One wonders how much of this money will end up helping the Taliban. This whole operation is clearly counterproductive, inappropriate, immoral and every American who values the rule of law should be outraged. Yet these activities are being done so quietly that most Americans, as well as most members of the House, don�t even know about them.

We should follow constitutional protocol when going to war. It is there for a reason. If we are legitimately attacked, it is the job of Congress to declare war. We then fight the war, win it and come home. War should be efficient, decisive and rare. However, when Congress shirks its duty and just gives the administration whatever it wants with no real oversight or meaningful debate, wars are never-ending, wasteful, and political. Our so-called wars have become a perpetual drain on our economy and liberty.

The founders knew that heads of state are far too eager to engage in military conflicts. That is why they entrusted the power to go to war with the deliberative body closest to the people � the Congress. Decisions to go to war need to be supported by the people. War should not be covert or casual. We absolutely should not be paying off leaders of a country while killing their civilians without expecting to create a lot of new problems. This is not what America is supposed to be about.
As usual, Ron Paul has it right.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The FFs were the complete OPPOSITE of isolationists
Then I've convinced you? Excellent! Who are the isolationists, then?

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Your lack of comprehension amazes me sometimes.
==============

Sometimes?? There are times he understands, I'm sure, but wallowing in ignorance and fighting untenable positions long after he's been thrashed still continues to suit him.

He's just one of those guys who has determined it's best not to admit the awkwardness of the illogical positions he asserts as it would be too time consuming a effort.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Suppose a bunch of Syrian civilians get murdered, and the Syrian government blames it on a group of Brits in the UK and demands that they be handed over for prosecution, and the British government refuses to extradite them.

Does that mean Syria is justified in invading England?

Or does it only work that way when it's brown people?

You make some good posts sometimes, but all I can say about that one is "F.U."

That was good. I'm going to try and remember that when this subject comes up with my left leaning friends.

Carpe' Scrotum
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
Don't confuse morality with law. The two are mortal enemies
============

Laffin'...you see things through a most peculiar kaleidoscope,Barak!!

Think about it, my friend.

In a moral society, what need is there of laws? People in a moral society will interact morally with one another without reference to law. What happens if a law is broken in a moral society? Obviously, any law that prohibits moral behavior or mandates immoral behavior is unjust; but that's the only kind of law that could possibly be broken in a moral society. That's what I mean when I say that in the presence of morality the only effect law can have is to introduce injustice.

Similarly, in a society of laws, morality is minimized. Wherever morality and law address the same behavior, the motivation for committing or avoiding that behavior will corrode from the sort of self-sacrificing pursuit of a higher abstract standard that comes from morality to the sort of self-centered avoidance of a penalty that comes from law. A man who does the morally right thing merely for reasons of self-preservation is not acting in a moral manner; therefore, law destroys morality.

This isn't my peculiar kaleidoscope: this is something men have understood for at least hundreds of years, possibly thousands.

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

That's certainly the spin that is disseminated by the ruling class. You're to be commended for swallowing it so effortlessly and regurgitating it so accurately.

Another view is that Americans by and large hate the Bush/Obama wars and think they're stupid, immoral, wasteful, dangerous, and counterproductive; and that this outrage--rather than fear or pusillanimity--is where their lack of support comes from. In this view, publishing additional evidence of atrocities and other criminal behavior committed by the US government and its henchmen, then, would serve to reinforce the existing popular contempt for the ruling class's war drums.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

That's certainly the spin that is disseminated by the ruling class. You're to be commended for swallowing it so effortlessly and regurgitating it so accurately.

Another view is that Americans by and large hate the Bush/Obama wars and think they're stupid, immoral, wasteful, dangerous, and counterproductive; and that this outrage--rather than fear or pusillanimity--is where their lack of support comes from. In this view, publishing additional evidence of atrocities and other criminal behavior committed by the US government and its henchmen, then, would serve to reinforce the existing popular contempt for the ruling class's war drums.
+1

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.