Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I've had hundreds of hours at dog parks, and all that ever goes on, just about, is dogs chasing each other and rough playing with each other. Any idiot can tell the difference between rough play and a fight. Even if it were a fight, which it was not in this case, the thing to do is cooperate with the owner in separating the dogs, not draw your weapon and open fire on the dog your dog is fighting with ... that is unless you're a god ... I mean a cop. In that case, you can get away with just about anything.

Had I done this, the minimum charges I'd receive would be public endangerment, property destruction, discharging a firearm, animal abuse, and probably a couple more thrown in for good measure. Why wasn't this cop charged with anything?

Story Here

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tragic.

I wonder what the officer's report has to say, as opposed to the report of the dog's owner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
had a dog owner once tell me and a cop his dog was "just playing with me" [bleep] holes i had in my calf kinda told the cop and i different......some dog owners are idiots and unless i actually see how things went down im not quick to pass judgment on the cop from an owners story....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RWE
tragic.

I wonder what the officer's report has to say, as opposed to the report of the dog's owner.

Uh...would it really matter? Does not an intelligent person who DOESN'T think he has carte blanche to do as it likes, come to a dog park with certain expectations of possible trouble with interaction between dogs? Wouldn't a reasonable person expect that a German Shephard and a Husky might engage in rough play or even a fight? And wouldn't a reasonable person therefore, avoid the park altogether if he was so concerned about it or perhaps, resolve to "assume the risk" when he takes his dog into said park?

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
When you enter a dog park with your dog you are by implication accepting the possibility of a dog fight. It's rare, but it does occasionally happen. The thing to do is to work with the other dog's owner, and/or other dog owners there, to separate the dogs and remove them. Shooting the other dog your dog's in a fight with is not within the ordinary list of reasonable options. Maybe we need a ban on cops in dog parks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but what if the other dog owner is an idiot or in some cases ive seen thinks its funny watching them fight and lets them go?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by rattler
but what if the other dog owner is an idiot or in some cases ive seen thinks its funny watching them fight and lets them go?

Then he should take his dog and leave.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rattler

First of all, I've been to several dog parks and have never seen anything like that happen. But short of your dog being in risk of imminent death, and nothing else tried has been effective, I cannot see a rationale for drawing a handgun and shooting another dog in a dog park. They are typically very friendly environments filled with people ready to assist in such situations.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
TRH you have no idea what happened there. The cops dog was on leash and the husky was not. The cop asked the owner or guardian or dog sitter to do something about the dog and he did not.

I would not let a dog bite or rough play with one of my bird dogs that I have $1000's of dollars invested in because some dog sitter can not keep there dog under control.

I do agree when you enter a dog park you are asking for trouble but if the cop has his dog on a leash he was at least trying to maintain control of his animal.

I don't know if the dog deserved to get shot or not and neither do you.

Dink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The real question is should cops have guns if they can't behave with a gun?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if the fights already going its to late and until the fight happens you have no clue how the owner is going to react......at this point i could flip a coin and side with the cop or owner.....need a hell of alot more info before passing judgment....know to many good cops, know i would kill another dog to protect mine, know to many dog owners that think their dog is ALWAYS in the right and shouldnt have a pet rock let alone something breathing to start jumping up and down and scream at the cop....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

A dog fighting with another dog in a DOG PARK almost by definition does not deserve to be shot.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Should be a sign outside the gate that says "Police Officers Are Required To Leave Their Firearms Outside This Enclosure."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
According to this article here;

Link to Story

There's been such an uproar over this that the department has changed its view, and plan a full investigation.

Yea Right!

[bleep], god damn it Hawkeye you just had to go and ruin my day.

Brings to mind the case of the fire chief who beat the crap out of Karly and then finished her off with continuing to beat her with a 10 pound rock.

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Should be a sign outside the gate that says "Police Officers Are Required To Leave Their Firearms Outside This Enclosure."

that include an average guys concealed carry piece, cant leave one without the other being left aswell as both are being carried legally....

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Sure . . . . where the gang bangers and kids have ready access to it. eek A lot of departments require their officers to carry off duty. One dog under control. One dog out of control. Very little known other than a newspaper clip, and we all trust the press to be accurate and unbiased right? RIGHT!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe

A dog fighting with another dog in a DOG PARK almost by definition does not deserve to be shot.

Dogs even in a dog park has to be under control. If this was not the case then we could take three or four good fighting pitbulls and turn them loose and listen to the screams. Just think of all the little kids and grown ups crying and carrying on. Don't shoot my 100 pound fighting pit for eating your poodle he has a right to....we are in a dog park.

If the dog sitter or whatever there title was would have kept the husky undercontrol this would not have happened.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 08/05/10.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Derby show me proof the officer mis-behaved?

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not going to take sides here, but a while back I had a couple of Wolf/Husky hybreds, that I would have never consider taking to a Dog park.
I had enough problems keeping them from killing other dogs when I took them to the vet. grin
Commercial kennels were out of the quetion after one experience and the only way I could go hunting was to return them to rhe breeder I got them from and put them in with the wolves. (all the amimals were caged) After a few minutes of growling everything setteled and they were happy.
My female was the problem, she couldn't stand yapping little mutts, and would do anything to get to them. Around serious animals she was fine.
Any owner should know how his animal reacts to other animals and take care to avoid incidents.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
It's pitiful the way some of you take up for cops! Tell you the truth I'm surprised he didn't reload and unload on the dieing dog again!

Phil

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (6mmbrfan, 907brass, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 15 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,893
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.