Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wooooot ! ! !

He just showed up at my door with a brand new (well,sort of) 1980's vintage Orvis 7'9" 2wt Ultrafine Grahite flyrod. I got this rod, which had a broken tip, about twenty years ago from a druggie in my apt complex along with a bunch of other tackle for $50.00. Along with the rod was an Orvis CFO III little bitty cute reel spooled with line.

It flexes really nice. For the first time in 20 years I finally got a chance to see what's like. It's schweeet!

The reason I procrastinated so long on sending in was I spent a good part of the last twenty years in Alaska. Never had the need to use it there.

I'm outta here to go catch some dink cutthroat on the upper Poudre River. laugh laugh laugh grin

Fishies; fish head is comin' to getcha' grin

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sweeeet, good huntin' bro !

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A sweet rod on small streams. My only complaint is it seems to take forever for a hook set motion to reach the fly. About like fishing with a ballon stick. Should be fun.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Update: fish head's fishing report.

Fish head got skunked. cry

But, that's OK because Scout and I had a funtastic day on the river. I spent more time dinking around and playing with my dog than I fished. Scout got to go swimming in the river and he also went mousing in the meadows (he didn't catch one but he sure had fun trying).

The rod is incredibley nice. It cast so smooth and effortlessly it's now my favorite dink rod. The only shortcoming is that will only roll cast a limited distance. Other than that it's oh so nice.

I wanted to see if I could get a fish to rise to a dry. No luck there. During the entire day I had only seen one fish rise and I stayed until the sun went over the mountains. There was a great hatch going on with BWO's, small cream colored midges and I even saw one rusty drake. Nada fish were rising though. It was the first time I had fished that section of river so I don't know if it was a lack of fish or what. I could see that the river had been rising and falling with all the thunderstorms we've been having lately. ??? I should have tied on a dropper but I never took the time to do it.

In my excitement to go fishing I left my hip boots that I had laid out in the garage. No biggie, it was just like the old days wading in tennis shoes and Levis'. I did manage to forget the change of clothes I had also set out so it was a wet ride back home. blush

All in all is was a great day. Catching fish isn't always the most important thing. smile

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Your original thread title????

grin

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've got a Far and Fine (7' 9" 5 wt.) It's an excellent rod. I say it's an excellent rod, though I've never fished this one, had one before I did fish and it was good.

Slow rod, lightweight. Orvis dropped the Far and Fine a few years back for some reason. It was the rod Orvis used to use in its flyfishing schools. I don't know what they use now.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.