Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
So where does it say in the law that your dog has to be mangled and at the point of death before you can take action? If kids and dogs are the same, would you let someone badly mangle your kid before you took some action to stop it? Or would you step in at the first sign of danger and do something about it? Not saying you'd off the person, but obviously, you'd intervene. . . . . . . . . . unless of course you don't have kids or a wife, and you don't have clue one what you're talking about.

Some of the arguments here are serious stretches of reality in this event.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
TRH - didn't you used to post here as JasonB???

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I have no idea what happened there, I wasn't there and I'm not going to judge the cop or the dog owner.

I will say that even as a dog owner and dog lover, that perhaps dog owners would do a better job of controlling their dogs if there was a greater chance off their off leash out of control dogs would be taking a dirt nap when they attacked other dogs or other people.

Something to consider.
You may not be familiar with the concept of dog parks, but they're enclosures where dog owners take their dogs so they can romp around loose with other dogs. The regulars usually do an excellent job of policing the place on their own in terms of making it clear to folks with poorly behaved dogs that they are not welcome back unless it's with a profession trainer who's come to address their dog's issues. The dog that was shot had an excellent reputation among the regulars. It would appear that the cop was a first time visitor.

As a sign that Anchorage is going to the birds, or liberals, I'm familiar with dog parks.

I don't care what the regulars do, or how their dogs typically behave. A dog that attacks another dog, or a person should be put down, whether in a dog park, or not. Pretty damn simple concept. Kinda similar to the nice boy that rapes somebodies daughter. Doesn't matter what a nice boy he is, wrong is wrong.

But alot of people have completely skewed views on the relationship between man(human beings) and animals.
Dog parks are different. You walk in with your dog with the assumed understanding that a dog fight is a possibility, and that you are to make use of all possible non-lethal procedures, with the cooperation of others at the park, to break it up. Deadly force is a last, not a first, resort under those circumstances, e.g., your dog is being killed by a larger dog who actually attacked. This case didn't even come close, as it was a case only of typical roughhousing, which is mainly what dogs do at dog parks. If you claim it was more than roughhousing, it would be your burden to show us the images of bloody holes in the skin of the German Shepherd. Roughhousing leaves no bloody holes. Fights do. Easy bright line distinction.

PS The cop keeping his dog on the leash was a problem. That's not appropriate inside the enclosure as it tends to attract attention from other dogs, and leashed dogs in that situation feel disadvantaged and vulnerable, and are more apt to respond to inquisitiveness with aggression. If you're dog is going to be on a leash, you and your dog belong outside the enclosure.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by NH K9
And giving two schits about a guy with a CCW popping somebody's pooch, after not being there when it went down, is laughable.

Agreed, but if everybody is setting up to lynch the cop they need to be prepared to do the same when Joe Citizen does the same.

George
Well, the thing is that Joe Citizen doing exactly the same as this cop would have been cuffed, stuffed, and charged with something quite serious. Why the double standard?

Not true. In fact, the last time I had a similar issue (no dog park involved as we don't have them) I praised the shooter and issued the deceased dog's owner a summons.

George

That experience schit is incredible huh?

Travis

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Dink, I'll answer your question with a question. What makes you and some others so sure that the dog or it's owner was in the wrong.

From any of the story's I've read. It's pretty clear to me that you don't have a story from the officer, other than it was reported that some officer said dog attacked and he shot!

That line is pretty typical of any cop shooting.

Hell the story doesn't say anything about the officer. Not even if he was a resident of the community or whether he even had a right to be there in the first place mush less coming in shooting up the place.

It is obvious that the killed dog was a resident of the place and a regular at the park, and well liked.

Phil

greyghost to answer your question is my point. No one knows who was right or wrong here. The dog owner could have been in wrong or he might not have been in wrong.

highcountry I read the part about the owner of the dog not being able to do anything before the dog got shot but I think the owner of the dog thought it was alright for his dog to act to like that.

I also read the part where the cop tried to get the dogs apart and the husky tried to bite him. Some people think there dogs can do no wrong.

Dink

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had I been the cop I probably would have done the same. I no doubt would NOT go to a dog park however when I had dogs. Come to think of it, the Malonois My daughter had would have handled the light work himself!

Robi, CCSO K9 track & attack dog 1987-1995

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have no idea what happened there, I wasn't there and I'm not going to judge the cop or the dog owner.

I will say that even as a dog owner and dog lover, that perhaps dog owners would do a better job of controlling their dogs if there was a greater chance off their off leash out of control dogs would be taking a dirt nap when they attacked other dogs or other people.

Something to consider.
You may not be familiar with the concept of dog parks, but they're enclosures where dog owners take their dogs so they can romp around loose with other dogs. The regulars usually do an excellent job of policing the place on their own in terms of making it clear to folks with poorly behaved dogs that they are not welcome back unless it's with a profession trainer who's come to address their dog's issues. The dog that was shot had an excellent reputation among the regulars. It would appear that the cop was a first time visitor.

As a sign that Anchorage is going to the birds, or liberals, I'm familiar with dog parks.

I don't care what the regulars do, or how their dogs typically behave. A dog that attacks another dog, or a person should be put down, whether in a dog park, or not. Pretty damn simple concept. Kinda similar to the nice boy that rapes somebodies daughter. Doesn't matter what a nice boy he is, wrong is wrong.

But alot of people have completely skewed views on the relationship between man(human beings) and animals.
Dog parks are different. You walk in with your dog with the presumed understanding that a dog fight is a possibility, and that you are to make use of all possible non-lethal procedures, with the cooperation of others at the park, to break it up. Deadly force is a last, not a first resort under those circumstances, e.g., your dog is being killed by a larger dog who actually attacked. This case didn't even come close, as it was a case only of typical roughhousing, which is mainly what dogs do at dog parks. If you claim it was more than roughhousing, it would be your burden to show us the images of bloody holes in the skin of the German Shepherd. Roughhousing leaves no bloody holes. Fights do. Easy bright line distinction.

PS The cop keeping his dog on the leash was a problem. That's not appropriate inside the enclosure. If you're dog is going to be on a leash, you and your dog belong outside the enclosure.

Sounds like a blast. Wish kids parks were like that....

Travis

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Something to consider.

Hawkeye please tell me about policing a public dog park. When you tell someone there dog is not welcomed to come back do they just say ok because the hawkeye said so......laffin. I think if tell people not to bring there dog back to a public dog park you get told the F word alot.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 08/05/10.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Nebraska
He's a newcomer to this topic here at the fire. I've been covering this issue (and many others) here for many years before anyone ever heard of JasonB.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Not true. In fact, the last time I had a similar issue (no dog park involved as we don't have them) I praised the shooter and issued the deceased dog's owner a summons.

George
For playing rough in a dog park?? I call serious BS.

Reading comprehension still trips you up, huh?

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Nebraska
He's a newcomer to this topic here at the fire. I've been covering this issue (and many others) here for many years before anyone ever heard of JasonB.

So, why did JasonB mysteriously stop posting, after Rick corrected you as to him being banned?

Perhaps a multiple log-in/same IP address issue?

Or, is he just living vicariously through you now?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chit,....they're getting married.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Damn! Three blank screens in a row.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Am I on ignore? Cause your argument that this shooter did wrong has yet to be reasonably established.

Travis

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
So is this just an argument with Hawkeye, or are their people here who feel that the officer was right to discharge his firearm in a public park full of people? Why is it OK to use deadly force to protect your dog, but your a whining crying pansie if your dog gets shot by a police officer?

Its hard to claim it was an attack if there was no blood or injuries even mentioned in the article.

Getting back to the orginal topic... can anyone say that this wasnt a real poor choice on how to handle the situation?

I understand that we dont know the entire story... but lets use the facts that we have from the articles posted. If more evidence comes around later... then we can look at that.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I could give two happy damns about the incident; that's irrelevant, and EXACTLY why both criminal and civil courts exist.

What is interesting and revealing is TRH/Chris' hatred for LEOs, as he's taken over for his lover-boy JasonB on the "all cops are bad/all he posts all the time" beat.

You'd figure that we'd almost have to rewrite the old saw about "a woman scorned", just for TRH to get over being turned down, repeatedly, by law enforcement agencies....

But, it's likely a bit more than that, and more of a cover to what he's doing with and within his own profession....

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Aw, isn't that cute... he's got me on ignore again.

Go figure why, as hitting close to marks has a reaction fairly well guaranteed.

Which mark is it that hurts, Chris? Is it the "they turned me down and hurt my feelings, so I hate them" line you run, or is it that you're covering for what you don't want folks to find out/know about you? Or, both, perhaps?

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave

Am I on ignore? Cause your argument that this shooter did wrong has yet to be reasonably established.

Travis
Nope. You and I have always managed to be civil with one another, whether or not we agree on a given topic. I don't believe I've ever had you on ignore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dogs, kids......may not be exactly the same....but ill take my dogs over most adults....

This.

Apparently it's okay for dogs to "play rough" at a dog park (whatever the [bleep] those are). I guess nobody will have a problem if I take my old man there and let him "play rough".

You'll all jump on the dude with the CCW that shoots him after he works his way through a few "playing", right?

George

you do realize im one of the ones that said i would like to see how the whole thing actually played out before i was gonna pass judgment and depending on what actually went down i was all for the cop shooting the dog......been around enough idiot dog owners who could not or chose not to control their dog and i would be just fine if the cop truly decided the other dog needed shot......as i said at this moment i could flip a coin to choose sides on the original incident....

and for the record if my dog took off after someone or tried to kill someone elses dog without just cause i would shoot my dog just as fast.....

but owners that dont control their dogs are a sore spot of mine......every [bleep] problem dog ive run across is cause of some dumb ass owner that thought it was either fine not to control their dog or thought it was funny when their dog got into fights with other dogs....and quite frankly i would rather shoot the person than the dog...... so yeah for the most part ill put dogs, especially my own over most adults....

Last edited by rattler; 08/05/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The so-called cop apologists can't hold a candle to dog apologists.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (280Ackleyrized, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 3040Krag, 1936M71, 45 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,046
Posts18,521,156
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.