Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Amazes me the wealth of information on the internet.

LOVE reading posts like this, guess all of you (and me) that carry a .308 and/or a 30-06 are really missing something and ruining a lot of meat while doing it.

This author likes the .270, guessing his grand pappy or someone in his past set him straight.

Post from another site:

Same here i have never liked the .308 or the .30-06. They ruin too much meat and are too slow with hunting rounds. I have all three guns and refuse to shoot the .308 or .30-06. I will take my remington 700 with 110gr. handloads anyday of the week before i touch my .308

Life is just one damned thing after another
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
To loosely quote (is that an oxymoron?) Ken Howell; Today's U.S. populace puts a high value on ignorance as a form of independence."
Sounds like the guy on the other site is really independent. whistle smile

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think he should give me his .308 and '06. laugh

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
i use a 30-06 BAR for California Mulies. There is some thick brush in some parts and wide open areas (Forestry Guys cut trees down) so i want a caliber that can push through branches but knock them down from across a couple hills. I have seen a light grain 270 bullet bounce of branches and miss the deer. But that is where i hunt. He might be hunting in Montana where long shots are a must. Who knows?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by outdoorcali
i use a 30-06 BAR for California Mulies. There is some thick brush in some parts and wide open areas (Forestry Guys cut trees down) so i want a caliber that can push through branches but knock them down from across a couple hills. I have seen a light grain 270 bullet bounce of branches and miss the deer....

Yea, I'm sure that 30-06 wouldn't have bounced off those same branches.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Did that just happen?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
"Independents" abound...........

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
i use a 30-06....i want a caliber that can push through branches but knock them down from across a couple hills. I have seen a light grain 270 bullet bounce of branches and miss the deer.

See there?

Actual in the field experience, proving the guy in the first post was wrong.

The original guy needs to put the 270 away, get the 30-06 out, and start killing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just wish I had oudoorcali's eyesight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

...and the desire to shoot thru a bush?

wink

Last edited by sactoller; 08/05/10.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by sactoller

wink

I was trained on the buck with binoculars when the guy i was with took a shot with a 270. The bullets grain was 130 pointed soft point Remington factory load. The branch deflected the bullet up and over the mulie. And sometimes shooting through brush or losing the buck are your choices.

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
cali, somewhere on here there's a real world test of someone shooting through brush with various rifles/loads.

Some targets were directly behind the brush, others were placed some distance away. None of the results were pretty.

Some so called brush busters are worse off than those tiny bullets going at warp speed, but the truth to the matter is there really isn't any such thing as a brush buster cartridge.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

wink

I was trained on the buck with binoculars when the guy i was with took a shot with a 270. The bullets grain was 130 pointed soft point Remington factory load. The branch deflected the bullet up and over the mulie. And sometimes shooting through brush or losing the buck are your choices.

And the problem with letting the buck walk?

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

wink

No no no. It was a branch.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by cal74
cali, somewhere on here there's a real world test of someone shooting through brush with various rifles/loads.

Some targets were directly behind the brush, others were placed some distance away. None of the results were pretty.

Some so called brush busters are worse off than those tiny bullets going at warp speed, but the truth to the matter is there really isn't any such thing as a brush buster cartridge.

No better brush buster. So true. I was point out what i had seen in the field. Every one has opinions on 30-06 vs 270. I like the 30-06 caliber. And there is nothing wrong with letting a buck walk. Thank You for all your input on what i experienced first hand. I never want to take a shot through thick brush for the sake of the animal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So how about that liberal queer judge down there...wasn't that something that he thinks one queer judge knows better than 7 million California voters?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
So how about that liberal queer judge down there...wasn't that something that he thinks one queer judge knows better than 7 million California voters?

I saw that in the news and i thought Damn. What is the point if voting if it can all be changed by one liberal? The governor said it is one more steep to equality. Are they going to open the borders next? If they do open the borders. I will sell Alien Hunting Tags. Be rich and become a judge. Then make gay marriage illegal. Because marriage is between one man and one women.(I am conservative)

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A great example of taking a once noble concept, equality, to an ridiculous and irrational level. What ever happened to common sense? What the hell! Where the hell did these moronic liberals come from anyway!? Why these stupid #$%^ing dumb @$%$^d's are RUINING this once great country WHY @#% and @$^#$ AND )(*^&^%!!! and furthermore !#$!!%...#@$%^$$...*&^%$%!!!
Whew!... okay I'm better now.
Oh, and I'll take all them worthless 308's and crummy '06's for you guys. Heck I'll even pay for the shipping. (these elk around here are dumb and don't know enough not to fall over dead when they're shot with one)

Last edited by cobrad; 08/05/10.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by cal74

No better brush buster. So true. I was point out what i had seen in the field. Every one has opinions on 30-06 vs 270. I like the 30-06 caliber. And there is nothing wrong with letting a buck walk. Thank You for all your input on what i experienced first hand. I never want to take a shot through thick brush for the sake of the animal.

You, are a complete fuggin' idiot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i use a 30-06 BAR for California Mulies. There is some thick brush in some parts and wide open areas (Forestry Guys cut trees down) so i want a caliber that can push through branches but knock them down from across a couple hills. I have seen a light grain 270 bullet bounce of branches and miss the deer. But that is where i hunt. He might be hunting in Montana where long shots are a must. Who knows?

You guys both need an M60 and a couple of cases of ammo - let enough rounds loose and that combo will shoot right through brush, branches, limbs, etc., and kill stuff just fine.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (19rabbit52, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,271
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.