Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Hawkeye will you video the next time you make it clear to someone to not come back to your dog park?.....

Dink

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
If the facts are anything like what was reported...

Aye, there's the rub... WAS what was reported even factual?

This started as an anti-LE rant and continues with each piss-n-moan post by you THR.
The only reason his being a cop was relevant (and therefore mentioned in the title) was the double standard that exists. Were there no double standard, I would be no more likely to mention his profession than if he were a plumber or a brick layer.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Hawkeye if the guy had been a plumber there would have been no story. If there was story you would have never posted a link to it because it does not fit your ant-police attitude.

Dink

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Who in your town told you that you cannot shoot to defend yourself?

Why would you have a need to shoot a deer in town?

Who told you a CCW is solely for the purpose of defending yourself from another human being?

Travis
I've never shot a dog in town, or for that matter anywhere. I had two I thought I might shoot come along with some trailor trash who moved into the house across the street from us. A St Bernard and a huge wolf cross. They had two St Bernards and both looked about the same except one was particularly mean. You could tell the mean one quickly because it would be snarling and actually foaming at the mouth when it got crossed which could include me and it being in my yard at the same time. The wolf was a coward and would run towards home and wait to see if the St Bernard took anything down. I'm sure they each went 200# plus or minus a few and believe they worked together before and well.

So I talked to a few people including LEO and an attorney or two. They all told me not to let my family or self get hurt, but shooting someone's dog could often mean trouble and likely cost a lot of money or more.

The ccw trainers I went to were very clear that even display, of a firearm very often came with unwelcome consequences. Use of one as a tool to kill would always bring close scrutiny and often a high price tag, monetarily or otherwise.

I never shot one of the moron's dogs though one was less then 2 feet off the muzzle of my 10mm. If the woman in the house hadn't heard me yelling for someone to come out and called the thing in, I could tell you first hand results. There was only a few ounces left on the trigger. The womans old man saw that Glock come out one time too when he stormed into my garage talking trash a few nights later. He was smarter than his dog and stopped in his tracks and got religion at the sight of it. It never rose above my side or pointed anywhere but down but it never got put away until he left either. Things got a little better after that but never so good as when they left in the night.

Not that I care if you disagree or not. I just don't want impressionable people believing they can go shoot somebody's dog with no consequences like some cop might be able to. It won't often work out that way.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If a dog attacks you,CCP or not, you can shoot it,period! You might have some foolish prosecutor levy charges but you'd never get all 12 to convict if the facts proved a dog attack was occurring.

Dog comes at me with teeth bared and unleashed, he get's a Kimber 45 compact unleashed on it!! It's really not even a significant debate and I'm surprised it went this many pages till I saw who the OP was coupled with his usual,confused antics.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Funny, I don't need permission or input from anyone to determine when and what I should do in a given situation.

Lots of folks went back to work in the second tower after the first was hit because they were told it was ok. I'd not have been one of them.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But then Scott you are not a Lemming any more than I am.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I did the psych. eval. for the courts

It appears TRH could help you people that are not thinking correctly about this....any takers?

All American

All the time
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Laughing, hard, at Travis putting TRH in his self-painted corner.

That he's got the real reason for the post (Chris' hatred of cops; because they turned him down when he tried to get hired on as one), and TRH/Chris can't address that point is telling.

I wonder what a psych eval of TRH/Chris would reveal? Well, beyond what those agencies already found out during the screening process......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Laughing, hard, at Travis putting TRH in his self-painted corner.

That he's got the real reason for the post (Chris' hatred of cops; because they turned him down when he tried to get hired on as one), and TRH/Chris can't address that point is telling.

I wonder what a psych eval of TRH/Chris would reveal? Well, beyond what those agencies already found out during the screening process......

AND, how does one get an evaluation of a court that wouldn't laugh TRH out of court?

All American

All the time
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If a dog attacks you
The issue was not a dog attacking a person but another dog and the attack was questionable. Had the St Bernard in my yard came any closer I would most certainly have shot it. But it didn't and I didn't need to be concerned defending myself from charges or suits and the expense those could bring.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
You also have the legal right to protect your personal property against attack with sufficient force available to repel the attack. As for a dog, once wouldn't be required to use a part of his body(fist/leg)to repel such a attack.

I believe you were the one who at one point began addressing a dog seemingly coming after a humen. I responded to that but my thoughts above cover the segue,as well.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
And I had posted that I was told to do what was necessary to protect myself and family as I would have, not that I need permission to do so or was asking about that situation. I also have two chocolate labs and was asking regarding them and that is where I began to get conditioned information that included the potential for charges and suits. My initial post on this thread was to simply say a ccw holder or any non-leo could receive different treatment in shootin someone's dog than a LEO would. I fully believe that and find the contrary silly.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
With due respect to isaac and the other lawyers here, Iowa is not a particularly self-defense friendly state, despite the recent reform of the CCW law. Although the legal issues involved in shooting a dog are presumably less than shooting a human, I can envision an array of sticky problems that would require the services of an attorney. For example, it is my understanding that Iowa courts have held that a homeowner's liability insurance carrier is not required to defend the policy holder in the event of a self-defense shooting. Don't know where shooting a dog would fit in.

Having the potential of thousands of dollars of legal fees, even absent some sort of penalty, is nothing to take lightly.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Now we're getting to it. This has nothing to do with CCPs and the validity of shooting dogs...it's all about having to pay a lawyer.

Well folks...I get to make a living too, ya' know!!

By the way...what would one do if he/she saw a fox in the henhouse, a cougar,wolf or coyote in the cattle pasture? Thought so!!

Bottom line...folks are saying what they would or would not do, far removed from the actual dynamic. It's why things get sorted out. Speculation and gossip make bad facts!!

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by deflave
Who in your town told you that you cannot shoot to defend yourself?

Why would you have a need to shoot a deer in town?

Who told you a CCW is solely for the purpose of defending yourself from another human being?

Travis
I've never shot a dog in town, or for that matter anywhere. I had two I thought I might shoot come along with some trailor trash who moved into the house across the street from us. A St Bernard and a huge wolf cross. They had two St Bernards and both looked about the same except one was particularly mean. You could tell the mean one quickly because it would be snarling and actually foaming at the mouth when it got crossed which could include me and it being in my yard at the same time. The wolf was a coward and would run towards home and wait to see if the St Bernard took anything down. I'm sure they each went 200# plus or minus a few and believe they worked together before and well.

So I talked to a few people including LEO and an attorney or two. They all told me not to let my family or self get hurt, but shooting someone's dog could often mean trouble and likely cost a lot of money or more.

The ccw trainers I went to were very clear that even display, of a firearm very often came with unwelcome consequences. Use of one as a tool to kill would always bring close scrutiny and often a high price tag, monetarily or otherwise.

I never shot one of the moron's dogs though one was less then 2 feet off the muzzle of my 10mm. If the woman in the house hadn't heard me yelling for someone to come out and called the thing in, I could tell you first hand results. There was only a few ounces left on the trigger. The womans old man saw that Glock come out one time too when he stormed into my garage talking trash a few nights later. He was smarter than his dog and stopped in his tracks and got religion at the sight of it. It never rose above my side or pointed anywhere but down but it never got put away until he left either. Things got a little better after that but never so good as when they left in the night.

Not that I care if you disagree or not. I just don't want impressionable people believing they can go shoot somebody's dog with no consequences like some cop might be able to. It won't often work out that way.

Yeah, cause that's what I've been saying dude.

I need to get some of these cop friends that never suffer consequences. I don't like my neighbors dog and I have an ex that is a real pain in the azz. Maybe a "boy in blue" can fix these problems for me with no regard to the law? [bleep]' hilarious!

This thread just keeps getting better.

Travis

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It's a amazing mind set,to be sure!!

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Paul39
With due respect to isaac and the other lawyers here, Iowa is not a particularly self-defense friendly state, despite the recent reform of the CCW law. Although the legal issues involved in shooting a dog are presumably less than shooting a human, I can envision an array of sticky problems that would require the services of an attorney. For example, it is my understanding that Iowa courts have held that a homeowner's liability insurance carrier is not required to defend the policy holder in the event of a self-defense shooting. Don't know where shooting a dog would fit in.

Having the potential of thousands of dollars of legal fees, even absent some sort of penalty, is nothing to take lightly.

Paul

If you carry a gun, be ready to pay lawyers. Shoot a dog, cat, person whatever. Even a displaying of it could land you in a civil court.

They're ALL "sticky" situations. If folks don't like it, don't carry.

Travis

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep. Your first sentence says it all. Just saying that's one of several considerations, but not one to be taken lightly.

Also that the law varies from place to place.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Agreed sir.

Travis

Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (280Ackleyrized, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 3040Krag, 1936M71, 45 invisible), 1,677 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,046
Posts18,521,156
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.