Hop To
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Have you been to a dog park George?

I've never been to one and don't think they even exist around here. Rochester, the "city" (I'm not sure what you folks that live around actual cities would call it) next to where I live has a "town square" where I've seen people walk their dogs. That would be about it.

A dog park is something I hope I never have the misfortune to experience.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Have you been to a dog park George?

I've never been to one and don't think they even exist around here. Rochester, the "city" (I'm not sure what you folks that live around actual cities would call it) next to where I live has a "town square" where I've seen people walk their dogs. That would be about it.

A dog park is something I hope I never have the misfortune to experience.

George
Oh yeah. They're just terrible places. Goodness me, they ought to be outlawed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If my dog had been "attacked" seven times at the dog park(s), don't think I'd be going back, but that's just me.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The avoidance of the "double standard" continues.

Typical....

Why is that, Chris? Your point's been countered and check called. I'd say "check mate", but the latter when in conjunction with canines might just be a bit much for ya....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by NH K9
Real fights break out at dog parks from time to time. Most normal people manage to handle them without guns being drawn, let alone discharged into a dog.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess (see how I preface that and don't generalize) that you've never witnessed what a "real" dog-fight looks like when two alphas are involved.

I have had to break up a few and got, literally, torn to schit doing so. Experience....

George
You'd be wrong. My dog has been attacked by hard core alphas on several occasions at dog parks. Unfortunately, Pitbulls tend to attract attacks by hard core alphas because they don't have it in them to 1) be the least intimidated by them, or 2) give the "proper" attack-preventing submissive signals in response. I believe he was attacked seven time, twice by the same dog, in all the years I brought him to dog parks. Only once did I receive an injury in the effort to break them up. My dog was easy to handle. I simply told him to stop and he did. When there was a problem breaking them up (only twice), it was always a problem in getting the other dog to release his hold on mine. In those cases, my dog would stop fighting on command and patiently wait for me to remove the other dog from his face or neck. One time, in my efforts to remove a Boxer from his face, the Boxer bit my hand and punctured my skin. He also bit the hand of his own handler who, after first punching his dog in the face for refusal to release on command, he attempted, as I had, to pry his dog's mouth off. Between the two of us, we finally managed to unlatch the Boxer's grip. He gave me the number of his vet so I could call and confirm that his dog was up on his rabies shots, and that was that. I was armed at the time with a Kahr P9 in an IWB but, for some strange reason, drawing it and killing the Boxer never even occurred to me. Perhaps because I realized going in that I was assuming the risk of a dog fight.

In other words George, no. He has not been involved with two true alphas in a fight.

TRH,

What's up with the citizen in Washington?

Travis

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
George I have a serious question for you. What happens if you get a k9 that will fight with other dogs? Do these wash out before they make it to the street or do you just deal with it?

In a perfect world we pick it up in testing and the dog never makes it into training. We generally have enough good dogs to pick from that we don't have to work with a dog fighter. Our contact in Germany has done an outstanding job of not sening us dog-aggressive candidates.

My old man, however, is one of the exceptions. His drives were off the chart and he was sent over for me. Some handlers can deal with it, some can't. A handler that isn't 100% on top of his obedience can't do it. Ditto for a handler that lets his dog walk on him at all.

In some ways it handicapped me as I couldn't work a tandem track with another dog, etc. In other ways it made my life easier. If I'm on a track and a dog fires up in a yard and he just keeps tracking, I know he's DEEP into odor.

My new dog has no such issues and is going to be much less stressful.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
If my dog had been "attacked" seven times at the dog park(s), don't think I'd be going back, but that's just me.

Then again, you didn't "almost get runover" by a crazy black guy in a truck either....

Or, well.... you get the idea.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Oh yeah, I forgot you have VA on ignore.

Here is his link: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/93031524.html

Travis

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
If you think I'm completely on ignore, well..... he's peeking, and he knows it.

He's just pissed that he's gotten pegged so squarely.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Never said they should be outlawed or that they were terrible, I just have no desire to go to them. I don't care about/enjoy going to the beach either but could care less if anybody else does.

If you like dog parks, enjoy them. I have too little spare time to waste. I don't have to go farther than the woods behind my house for my dogs to get exercise.

George

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by DINK
RWE I knew better than to read you post while I was eating lunch....damn near choked to death.....

Dink

You should try actually having lunch with him some time......

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by DINK
RWE I knew better than to read you post while I was eating lunch....damn near choked to death.....

Dink

You should try actually having lunch with him some time......

I don't know how the two of you could have lunch together....you are guys are funny.

Dink

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave
In other words George, no. He has not been involved with two true alphas in a fight.

TRH,

Travis
If you own a dog with the physical power to cause real harm, YOU MUST BE THE ALPHA, regardless of the dog's natural inclinations. He must submit to your commands instantly, regardless of circumstance, or you're doing something wrong.

As for Washington, could you elaborate? Not sure what you're referring to.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
It's normally a long lunch. Beer don't hurt... much... except when it comes through the nostrils.

If you think we're funny, though, don't EVER get near ltppowell when he's had even a couple. That [bleep] had me laughing so hard I had to sit down on the ground.... and the rest of the crew on the TN pig hunt last year wasn't far behind me in guffaws. Pat, is a FUNNY bastid.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And a hell of a cook!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

TRH,

Travis
If you own a dog with the physical power to cause real harm, YOU MUST BE THE ALPHA, regardless of the dog's natural inclinations. He must submit to your commands instantly, regardless of circumstance, or you're doing something wrong.

As for Washington, could you elaborate. Not sure what you're referring to.

MUCH being said there; if you've the stomach to follow the sign.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Oh yeah, I forgot you have VA on ignore.

Here is his link: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/93031524.html

Travis
laugh Being that I have him on ignore, what would be my motivation to follow said link?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AND he carries "cocked & locked! smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by T LEE
And a hell of a cook!

Yep, that half-Texican coonass Lt can put on a MEAN BBQ, no doubt.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T LEE
AND he carries "cocked & locked! smile smile
Me too.

Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (264mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,059
Posts18,521,394
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.