Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
From other posts, I'm led to believe there are experts here who might be able to ID this rock. I found it on a hike about 6-7 years ago, on a trail leading up to a hillside overlooking a large creek that was well-used by native Americans. Over the years lots of arrowheads have been found in the valley, and within three-quarters of a mile is a raised mounds that has been excavated in the past.

I picked it up because it was interesting. Somewhere along the way I began wondering if it is some kind of grinding stone. It seems unlikely that this would naturally occur, but it also seems unlikely that I would find an artifact where I did. But then, maybe it became exposed from an eroded bank above the trail and fell to where I found it. It fits the palm of the hand real well (even better in small hands), and the sides are exactly parallel. I've searched for Google images and found a few rocks that look similar. Here are four views of it (slightly smaller than actual size):

[Linked Image]

I took the photos against a Carbon Express arrow box so it would show up well. I figured someday I'd have the chance to show this to an expert but that hasn't happened yet, so I show it here.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
just a rock.

No signs of percussion shaping.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
and here I thought you were talking about the Neighbor's Chevy Truck... " like a rock".. vs it being older than dirt...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not percussive action, looks like it could have been used as a "mano". Pics vs in person make it much harder to determine.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Congratulations! You've unearthed the very first prototype model for the very first wheel. grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve, I would respectively disagree with Brent. I would think it really is a mano or Injun grinnin rock as they say. grin

I have seen lots similar that were used for milling wild grass seeds and such. Somewhere around where you found it there should be a matate. Those that I have found are just a flat rock from a stream with a water washed dish in them. Seeds were heaped in and the mano used to crush/grind them into a paste.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like it could be a core sample from a drilling operation .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Congratulations! You've unearthed the very first prototype model for the very first wheel. grin
TFF

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
It's an indian sex rock for sure...

Kent

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrentD
just a rock.

No signs of percussion shaping.

Not doubting you -- it wouldn't be hard to know more about this stuff than I do, which is why I ask the question. But are you saying all artifacts were shaped by impact methods? Here's a grinding stone that has no marks from percussion shaping:
[Linked Image]

Besides, wouldn't a tool used for grinding have those signs ground away?

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sure looks like a grinding stone of some sort to me, except that it is pretty small. At three inches, it would have been pretty hard to even hold.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a WAG.

What I see is even polishing on the top and sides. It rolled around through eons of time and..................

Then at some point, the rock split giving it it's unusually even thickness. You can see the evidence of a more recent split in the non polished flat side.

Was it purposely shaped that way by man? I don't think so.

Was it used as a tool? Maybe, who knows.

It's certainly unusual but the time it would take to shape that way doesn't seem justifiable and I can't see the purpose it would serve to spend so much time to shape it that way. It would be easy enough to just find a better rock. Like that one.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rock. The edges are too sharp to have been used as a grinding stone. Those "excavated" mounds are on your land, right? If it's public land, an excavator is looking at a felony conviction.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Betcha the SOB would skip nicely.......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
this one i found on the ranch a few yrs ago. its covered with tiny pits. figured it was some type of tool [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Junior1942
Rock. The edges are too sharp to have been used as a grinding stone. Those "excavated" mounds are on your land, right? If it's public land, an excavator is looking at a felony conviction.

You are correct on the sharp edges, it's just a sex stone, but it's not a felony to pick up a rock, even on an indian ruin. Also depending on how far in the past the excavation, if it was a misdemeanor or felony, could have even been state sponsored.

Kent

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Unnatural formation. It appears to have had some help from mankind to arrive at its present form. Found in an area that produced other man made artifacts. Betting that ancient man altered and used this for something. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

TFF

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It looks like "The Thing" has been hanging around your property and probably took a dump....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given what appears to be a rough lower surface in the third photo, I'd guess it's just a lucky cleave of nature. If both sides are ground smooth, then one may have a mano used to grind grain on a larger surface.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/08/10.

1Minute
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (257Bob, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.