Hop To
Page 21 of 21 1 2 19 20 21
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NH K9
I won't argue what you experienced in that DA's office, but I will tell you it doesn't hold water here unless you want to talk about the "big" stuff. Obviously nobody wants to be the CA/ACA that lost a rape/whatever case.

When you get into the "other" felonies they're looking for ways not to bother going to trial. We now have "Family Court" to handle DV, etc. We have "Drug Court" so we can get the low level drug schit out of the way. "Mental Health Court", blah blah blah.

It's not about conviction rates, it's about saving time and money.

That still doesn't address the fact that most "Joe Six Packs" will only have to deal with the Court on a lower level. Most only for violations/low level misdemeanors. Pleas make the world go 'round there.

George
For the young ADAs it is all about conviction rates. That's how they earn recognition.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
In some offices I imagine you're right. Not so in our CA's office. It helps that our CA is a younger guy who still believes that justice doesn't always equate to a guilty finding. The last one, not so much. Unfortunately she made her way to the AG's office and is now a problem State-wide instead of being contained to our County.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Without the story it is a just a gratuitous picture of a dead animal. With the story it makes sense. I have shot & killed more than one in my day, but always with reason.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Me too, Terry, as I said back a few pages, and the reason was a very good reason, every time, or the animal lived.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only way.

Have a great evening Sir.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by derby_dude
You guys can crap on me all you want but I know how the system works.

Defense attorney wants a plea bargain because he wants his calendar free in case a lucrative client comes or go chase ambulances or go play golf or whatever, the last thing a criminal attorney wants to do is defend Joe Six-pack who hasn't two nickels to rub together.

It�s quite clear you haven�t spoken to many defense attorneys. The vast majority of the ones I got to know were interested in providing their client with a zealous defense, and with getting the client the best possible outcome. In most lower profile cases, this is a plea bargain.

Prosecuting attorney wants a plea bargain to put more conviction notches on the political belt because every prosecuting attorney has grand visions of the gold ring, US Senator.

Wrong again, but you are consistent. Prosecuting attorneys have no more interest in convicting an innocent person than you have seeing one convicted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I won't argue what you experienced in that DA's office, but I will tell you it doesn't hold water here unless you want to talk about the "big" stuff. Obviously nobody wants to be the CA/ACA that lost a rape/whatever case.

When you get into the "other" felonies they're looking for ways not to bother going to trial. We now have "Family Court" to handle DV, etc. We have "Drug Court" so we can get the low level drug schit out of the way. "Mental Health Court", blah blah blah.

That still doesn't address the fact that most "Joe Six Packs" will only have to deal with the Court on a lower level. Most only for violations/low level misdemeanors. Pleas make the world go 'round there.

George
For the young ADAs it is all about conviction rates. That's how they earn recognition.

Really? And you know this how? BTW, I couldn't begin to tell you what my conviction rate is.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys can crap on me all you want but I know how the system works.

Defense attorney wants a plea bargain because he wants his calendar free in case a lucrative client comes or go chase ambulances or go play golf or whatever, the last thing a criminal attorney wants to do is defend Joe Six-pack who hasn't two nickels to rub together.

Prosecuting attorney wants a plea bargain to put more conviction notches on the political belt because every prosecuting attorney has grand visions of the gold ring, US Senator.

The Judge, ah the Judge, there are some really good judges but way to many judges graduated at the bottom of their class all they want to do is clear the decks to they go golfing, boating or whatever. For many judges the best job they'll ever have in the legal profession is the judgeship.

See I know how the game works we have an adversarial justice system and all the pros are actors playing a part. The best actor wins. With any kind of luck the poor sucker who's the football between actors will get justice but more often than not he won't.

And to think, I've had 2 healthy drams of Lagavulin tonight.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

George

Oh? Do tell, Mr. Never-Gonna-Use-The-J.D.-Daddy-Bought-Ya..... Exactly HOW many cases have you litigated? How about how many have you negotiated a plea? Hell, I'll make it easy: how many have you filed?

Wait....

Damn, that's right; you're guessing again, without any basis in fact or experience.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Forty freakin' pages......................... C'mon guys, get a life or something..

Aw, hell, the battle was over after page 6 or so.

The rest of this is just the horse soldiers spearing the survivors...

and the thieves looking for booty amongst the dead.

Nothing to see here, move along....

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In my experience with DA offices, some guys do only care about convictions and not guilt or innocence of the accused. However, most of the time it isn't that they don't care if the accused is guilty or innocent, the just believe that pretty much EVERY accused is guilty.

If they make a decision to move forward on a case, they have already evaluated it to a degree and therefore, they believe that the person is guilty. Once they make that decision, a lot of them kind of put the blinders on and it is full speed ahead.

And cynically, a lot of defense attorneys believe it too. The law is a cynic's business. If you weren't one before, you'll end up being one later. You see the worst side of everyone...your clients, other lawyers, and cops and prosecutors. Everyone you see is having problems, or you wouldn't be seeing them. You learn secrets you never wanted to learn when you get telephone calls in the middle of the night from friends, family, and people you go to church with. You watch people turn into absolutely insane idiots while going through a divorce. You see people turn themselves inside out over relatively minor legal matters and drive themselves insane.

Like I said, all of that kind of lends itself to a pervasive atmosphere of "everybody is guilty of something" that sometimes does have a negative effect on the administration of justice.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
If they make a decision to move forward on a case, they have already evaluated it to a degree and therefore, they believe that the person is guilty.

No, they believe they can get a conviction. Big difference.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What part of ;"in my experience " makes it hard for you to understand ?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
City People...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Forty freakin' pages......................... C'mon guys, get a life or something..

Aw, hell, the battle was over after page 6 or so.

The rest of this is just the horse soldiers spearing the survivors...

and the thieves looking for booty amongst the dead.

Nothing to see here, move along....

Too right, and TFF!!
grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 21 of 21 1 2 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 48 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,036
Posts18,520,993
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.