J
Here's an interesting quote from Rock Chuck's link:

"Violations of regulations under the Federal Land Policy and
Management Act, the Native American Graves Protection and
Repatriation Act, the Archaeological Resources Protection Act,
state and federal wildlife law, and other laws may be punishable
by fines, imprisonment, and forfeiture of equipment and vehicles
used in commission of the crime."

And I must add, forfeiture of gun rights.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Well, if you are digging up graves to get rocks....

I'm not helping you with the answer, but there is a certain amount of rocks you can collect for personal use without a permit on FS.

Of course you can't substantiate anything you say... shades of Lee24.

You're also about as bright as an indian sex rock... just say'n.

Kent

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bla,bla,bla Give me a State or Federal Statute.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Laws and Reg's aside ... I'm MORE interested in the SEX ROCKS!

Uh ... How did they DO it ???

(snort)

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Dude, "SEX ROCKS!" First words of a non-virgin.
Now "Rock sex", that happens real slow, when two rocks get together and get to pounding, then you get little rocks.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Indian Love Stone: just another effin' rock.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

But I would not feel so all alone,
Everybody must get stoned.

B Dylan

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
indian sex stone.... just another F'n rock...

Kent

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Geeeezzzz.. I read the entire thread waiting to say it was just another fuggin rock only to be beaten by some of you... C'mon, it isn't often an old phart like me can have a punch line early on.
Carry on....

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Anyway, feels like Lee again.

1. I'm an anthropologist. We studied the various laws in class.

They taught you it was fine being wrong? Or you just misremember?

2. On another forum a couple of years ago someone else said I didn't know what I was talking about. I asked a Kisatchie National Forest archaeologist friend just to make sure the law hadn't changed. She said I was right.

Well Chit, there you go, an archaeologist said so...

3. Call your nearest national or state forest and ask if you can go rock collecting in their forest.

No need, I have direct connect numbers to the enforcement officers in the field.

4. If you don't want to do that, show a ranger the pretty rock you found in his or her forest. If he or she is a good guy/gal you'll get told to never do that again. If he or she is an a-hole, you'll get told to put your hands behind your back.

You actually wrote that with a straight face?

here's a little taste, though you need to do some research yourself.

It is Forest Service policy that the recreational use of metal detectors and the collection of rocks and mineral samples are allowed on the National Forests. Generally, most of the National Forests are open to recreational mineral and rock collecting, gold panning and prospecting using a metal detector. This low impact, casual activity usually does not require any authorization.

What the heck is it with liberals and arguing with lies. It's not so bad that you are mistaken, it's you have to argue that your lies are true, complete with detailed (fantacies) examples... puts into perspective all your other ramblings... nuff said.

Kent

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Out in the hills of Northern New Mexico I came across a very nice slice of petrified Indian Bread probably many millennium old and probably priceless, but it could just be a rock. confused That's my new Tomcat for size comparision.

[Linked Image]

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are allowed 120 lbs of recreational rocks/minerals annually from federal lands (petrified wood, gold, picture jasper, agate, sunstone, obsidian, fossils, or just rock for the barbie, etc). We have a sh-tload of rock in Eastern Oregon, so no one really cares or would notice if one went missing. If one intends to exceed 120 lbs and enter into commercial ventures, he needs so permit up (File a claim). There is no one out there weighing us in and out though, so if one ventures out with less than a backhoe and dump truck, there is little to fear.

Obviously, we can not take rock from National Parks or Monuments, but it's a non issue for most BLM and Forest property. The obsidian in Yellowstone is pretty poor quality anyway.

I suspect the state regs are same same, but I've not bothered to look them up.

Picking up artifacts from federal land is a no no. Some locals were going to do the BLM a favor and drag late 30's Ford carcass out of a drainage. Since it's over 50 yrs old, it's protected by the Antiquities act.

I likely exeed my 120 lbs, as I'm a closet flintknapper. My property is laced with obsidian though, so I really only have to go as far as the wife's flower garden.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/08/10.

1Minute
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Pre-Historic Indians, invented "Sliced" Bread ??? ???

Anyway, your Tomcat's cool.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The biggie is the Federal Antiquities Act of 1906.

This was the first federal general historic preservation law. The act authorized the president to designate as national monuments "historic landmarks, historic and prehistoric structures, and other objects of historic or scientific interest" on federal lands. It also required permits for excavation on public lands and provided criminal penalties for unauthorized damage to or appropriation of objects of antiquity on those lands.

In other words, you casn be big-time fined or even be sent to prison for removing such objects. There have been some recent major federal court cases involving dinossaur bones, but taking Indian artifacts isn't taken lightly, either.

Native Americans are exempt from some of these laws, dependin on what's taken and what's done with the objects in question, just as they're exempt from laws against posessing eagle parts.

Many states also have similar laws about removing significant artifacts from state lands.

But this one does look like a classic Indian sex rock.

β€œMontana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Yepper, it relates to artifacts which rocks aren't, as claimed by the archaeologist.

Also surface discovery is treated differently than excavation, both in enforcement and punitive action. Basically there is no punitive action on surface discovery beyond seizure of the artifact, get caught digging and crap will hit the fan.

We only have thousands of ruins in Az and finding stuff laying here is easy, mostly shards (trash piles). Many of the oldtimers were diggers around the depression era and it wasn't considered serious at that time, basically a misdemeanor with light fines and no jail. It stayed that way till the 70s and then more attention was put on it, as it should.

Picking up an arrowhead is 'not' punishable by law, confiscated, yes. picking up broken shards will result in a verbal warning.

Picking up rocks just means you're horny...

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
120#! I'm not picking up anything that weighs 120#. Most of the deer I shoot don't even weigh 120#. It has been my practice for a long time to pick up a rock wherever I go. I have boxes of them but I don't keep them in the attic. I'd post some pictures but from reading this thread it seems there is such a thing as "The Rock Police" or "Stone Troopers" and I'm already under surveillance from "You know who".

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Artifacts found on private land in Missouri are not subject to state laws. If human remains are encountered you are required to notify law enforcement or natural resources. Unlawful to dig on federal or (state) land. Make sure all surface finds of stone artifacts occurs on private land where you have the owners permission. grin GW

Last edited by oldtimer303; 08/09/10.

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I knew some diggers that were on a huge mound, half on private and half on FS. They used backhoes and unearthed hundreds of pots. They were watched by FS to see if they would cross the fence and knew it. That was before the prohibition on burials in private.

They made more than 100,000 on those pots. The incentive is there.

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
Artifacts found on private land in Missouri are not subject to state laws. If human remains are encountered you are required to notify law enforcement or natural resources. Unlawful to dig on federal or private land. Make sure all surface finds of stone artifacts occurs on private land where you have the owners permission. grin GW

Against the law to dig on private land. How in the flying hell do you guys put in a foundation for a home? You just pour a basement on the surface and pound it in when it dries?

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was doing a pump/chlorination system up in Rainier National Park. The old building we were working in needed some foundation repair, the foundation was made of motored granite rocks.
The contractor doing the work had to bring in rock, the park wouldn't let him use any from inside the national park.
I was told by a park ranger that it's illegal to pick up/take rocks from inside the park.
On the same job a old rusted out oil tank was found buried next to one of the buildings. Before digging could start a drawing of the location of every plant had to be made, the plants were relocated to a green house so they could be put back in the very same spot they came from.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,064 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,230
Posts18,485,651
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.