Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thought I would share some pics of Doziers just out of the shop.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great knives but a Knife making legend.

~ Fort Henry Custom Knives ~

Serious Knives for the Serious Hunter
http://www.forthenrycustomknives.com
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yea, those will work. Very nice!

I only have one at the present time and it came from AG Russell, I think it's called the straight personal? I've had a few others but they have been swapped out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Doziers are ok, but you have to bear in mind, that there are many makers that can produce as good a knife.
We tend to go over board in spending on 'name' factor alone. Not that there is anything wrong with that,but to hold Dozier, or Ingram or May up as the only sources of quality steel is playing to the 'fan boy' in us all.

Sam......

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
To state the obvious, there are other makers, many, that make a "good" knife. I have been in the knife business for more than a decade and know many of them.

This thread is about Doziers. When someone buys a knife made by a Maker that has been in the business more than 30 years they are buying his experience, testing, refinement, etc. These knives work.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Really like that sheep horn drop point. Got a weak spot for both.
JMHO
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That sheep horn drop point is a beaut!I have half a dozen of Bob's knives and about the same of Gene's.There are lots of great knifemakers out there,too many to name.All you have to do is look at some of the blades shown on this forum,or look at the Makers Forum on Blade Forums,there is some incredible work out there.When I buy a Dozier or an Ingram though,I know exactly what I am getting and that is no knock on other makers.I just like the knives that both men make. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Good lookin knives.

Now put em to work.

Only got 1 Dozier, but it's likely all I'll ever need.

Gets the sharpest of all my knives, and holds the edge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like them, got a half dozen and have been very happy with them all. At one time I had fifteen of the dang things but thinned the herd a little sometime back.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned a dozen Doziers over the years.. I finally honed in on what works for me.. The 3 that I ended up keeping for my own personal needs are the K19,K2,YPS..

I buy most of my Doziers from Vince at Fort Henry Knives and he is great to deal with and a wealth of knowledge. The pictures on his site really help you determine what is possible when you want to order a custom Dozier..

Great Knives, Great Dealer what more could you ask for..

BTW-- Doziers are NOT just OK smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Dozier's in a KS-3 Pro Guide and a K-4 Straight Hunter. They are both excellent knives. Me thinks that Mannlicher lives too close to Bo Randall's shop to be objective. And that is meant as a compliment. Good luck.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Doziers real talent is his heat treatment of D2.Gene Ingram has done a great job of copying most everything Dozier does.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bauer
Doziers real talent is his heat treatment of D2.Gene Ingram has done a great job of copying most everything Dozier does.

At a greater base price per knife...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is some of mine.The top 2 are Charlie May Knives.The bottom 3 are Dozier's.I called Bob Dozier and was able to get the last piece of his yellow Westinghouse micarta a few years back.It has gotten darker with age.The bottom one handle is black ebony.

[Linked Image]

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Great knives guys, Thanks for sharing your pics.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Bauer

At a greater base price per knife...

They're all getting insane.Gene was in the $140 range a few years back.Look at the archives on Doziers website and the majority of his knives were in the $175 range a few years ago.

If I'm going with D2 there's no reason to look any further then Dozier.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gene Ingram has done a great job of copying most everything Dozier does.

Care to expound?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my current favorite Dozier

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is one of mine, semi-skinner...

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like the lines on that one, very nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you like Bob Dozier you will love Jerry Halfrich.I keep going back and for between the two.I have a half dozen or so of each.There are other makers like Tom Krein and Ingram that make quality stuff but for me Jerry and Bob stand at the top of the heap.I have another folding hunter coming this week from Bob and a killer Bose semi skinner coming in a couple of weeks from Jerry.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,020 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,088
Posts18,521,967
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.