Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I need a deer rifle. I went to Bass Pro today and i was looking at the rifles i can not afford, i caught a glimpse of the Handi. 249 bucks brand new. That is in my price range. So i was wondering if it is a good rifle. The one they had is chambered in 30-06 ( My favorite caliber). If you had any experince with this rifle please tell me if it is good or not.

I can only afford a new single shot or a used bolt action. Thanks.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many different names are you posting under?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
How many different names are you posting under?

I posted for a good first deer rifle, best 30-06 cartridge, and now this because i saw the handi for 249 bucks. This is more of a specific rifle question. I am just trying to learn.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How's that working for ya?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Most people think i am a troll because i ask a lot of questions. I need to learn some how. I just want people to know i am new to this forum, I have not been on here before. I only have a shotgun and a 22. So i do ask alot of questions about new deer rifles.

But you seem nice enough. Thanks

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Handis can be a crap shoot. My son has had 3 good ones, and 1 not so good. If you really want to learn a lot about handi rifles, go here.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html

While I don't care for the sight owner, that particular forum has more info on handis, than anywhere else on the net. I'd mostly go look and read, before you start posting.

Well, the link doesn't seem to be working, so google up Greybeard Outdoors, and go to the centerfire Handi Rifle forum.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 08/08/10.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd avoid single shots. Especially until you gain more knowledge/experience as a hunter.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Save a few more bones and get a 700. Infact, get a slew of 'em.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I don't have any problems with a single shot for a deer rifle. About 99% of the time that first shot is telling one way or the other.

I think that most of the Handi's are a good servicable rifles, but if you can keep your eyes open you likely can find the Stevens 200 or the Marlin XL-7 for maybe $50 more. Both are typically very accurate bolt action rifles.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 3006 and a 45/70 in the NEF and H&R and both are very serviceable rifles. They are no frills to be sure, but are very reliable and hunting accurate. My 3006 keeps everything in 2" at 100 and has never had a failure to feed.:) I feel a one shot hunter will be more discerning with the shot they take.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother in law had a 204 that had such an oversize chamber that we couldn't get factory loads fired in it to go into the resizing die. You could easily see how bulged they were when holding next to a fresh round. Took it back and traded it on a heavy barrel Savage bolt gun. This one out shoots both of us.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Handi Laminated Varmint single shot. It's a great rifle with .243 and .204 barrels. I see adds for for bolts rifles with scopes in the $300 range. I would think that one of them would be a better starter centerfire rifle. Good Luck.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have one in .223 and I really like it. It shoots 1" to 1 1/2" groups with the right ammo. It is the most ammo sensitive gun that I own.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I had an older Handi in 243 which my wife kilt a moose with, and my oldest daughter learned to shoot with. It was an accurate, though needlesly heavy rifle that was pretty ugly. Worked good, just didn't look too good. I also have a Buffalo Classic H&R in 45-70, and it is a gem!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

J
J
Shot my first bear in Canada with a .308 Handi.

They are a good bang for the buck.

While I would not ideally hunt bear with it the hunt was last minute and the only thing scoped and ready to go at that moment.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Most people think i am a troll because i ask a lot of questions. I need to learn some how. I just want people to know i am new to this forum, I have not been on here before. I only have a shotgun and a 22. So i do ask alot of questions about new deer rifles.

But you seem nice enough. Thanks
.............Winnie..............The handi-rifles are a good value for the buck, but I suggest you wait, save up a little more and get a bolt action instead.

Two rifles that I can think of, which are in your approx price range, are the Stevens 200 and the Marlin XL7. The Marlin XL7 imo, is the better rifle and is perhaps one of the better values on the market at the price points they sell for.

PS.........I don`t think you`re a troll. At least not yet anyway............ laugh

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

J
J
As much as I love my Handi I have to agree wait for a Bolt action!

I will tell ya I almost dumped in my drawers when walking outta the woods in Canada (no sidearms allowed) I had a Handi Rifle (one shot) and heard bears running in multiple directions or there was the day I was sitting on a ledge and heard cubs playing on the top of the rock wall about 35 feet above me... Hearing that and only having one shot is not fun.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I like the Handi. But to pick one, the bolt will win every time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For an extra rifle they work out pretty good, just a truck gun or what not.

Otherwise if your short on funds take a look at the Marlin Bolt gun, supposed to be a very very accurate rifle for not much more money than a Handi.

I have a Handi .223 that for the 150.00 bucks I paid for it, is a nice extra gun to have around and if something happens to it than I won't loose much sleep.

Life is just one damned thing after another
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I use a Handi to hunt. However, the only reason I did was because MS changed its deer hunting regulations to allow this type of rifle in certain calibers to be used during Primitive Weapons season. It was also the cheapest alternative. With the ammo it likes, it is very accurate. I would agree with some of the other posters though, that given your situation, I'd try to buy some of the lesser expensive bolt actions. I haven't shopped for rifles in awhile but, if the Marlin and Stevens/Savage bolt actions are anywhere close in price, I'd buy that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 29 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.