Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D

I didn't figure to make it up this year, but Mother
Luck smiled on us. My lady has never been, and we unexpectedly found a week we could go,late in Sept. Learned my lesson trying to do too much in my past trips, I'm opting for a week from Anc to Homer, some fishing charters with general sight-seeing, enough to introduce her to one part of AK.
I started this thread with "Part 1", there will be more, but a couple of questions to start:
(1) I don't like RV's, but have been balancing out the costs/etc of renting a car & moteling it, vs rv camping, comes out about the same money. What I can't seem to find is a small, conversion van type rental,
NO interest in one of the big honkers. We'd rather do some small overnight camp spots that are scattered down to Homer, rather than motels, any help there? Any place in ANC that has something small to rent?
(2)I've done the roadie from Anc to Homer a couple of times. I hate cities, period, don't care what state they are in. Between the two places...any place(s) worth a stop, a look, or an overnight? Local bar/ good food/etc.? I usually just pull over at any place that looks like home to me.
Thanks for any input, I know you locals get this all the time, but do appreciate any help you might have.
Dave

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure if the charters will still be running halibut trips in late July but it doesn't hurt to start looking into it right now.

Maybe renting a pickup/camper package might be worth looking into as well. http://www.abcmotorhome.com/campers.html

If you've done the Anchorage to Homer thing then why not consider going to Anchorage to Squarebanks to Valdez then back to Anchorage?

Once you get things narrowed down a bit then recommending restaurants/bars will be a bit easier.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Won't be much if anything for 'but charters in Cook's Inlet in Sept. You can fish silvers your self in the flowing waters. Seward might still be a silver possibility?

Lots of hiking trails. Be prepared for rain.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I hadn't thought about the pick-up/camper route, I will look into that, thanks for the web site, sounds like a good idea. I was figuring the Anc-Homer route for a couple of reasons. It's a nice drive down around the Arm, and since I've been there a couple times, there are some things I know to hit and some to miss, since our time will be relatively short. Also figured that late in the season, Homer might be the place to get a halibut charter, and was hoping maybe to hit a late silver run somewhere down that way?? I hope to make it a decent mix of sight-seeing and fishing, I'm open to any help or advice as far as possible fishing that week. Thanks for your help,
Dave

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,466
Posts18,529,218
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.