Getting around California law sometimes takes some weired steps. In California 2 or more features on AR15 type rifles makes them illeagle. Not really sure of the entire list right off. But it includes Pistol Grip, Detachable Mags, Flash Supressors, and I think it even goes so far as to state in generic (Other Similar Features). But one company I recently visited is making a AR15 type rifles to where the magazine well opening was never cast in. A 10 round magazine was then inserted into the lower and rivited into place. When assembled it is loaded as a ADL. Not convenient, but hey this is California! Barrel is a bull type with no suppressor. I handled one in .223 a flat top, was pretty nice if you can't have an original. Price was just under $1,000. The guy is selling these things and holds a manufacturing dealers license. That was before the new year rolled around. Don't know if 2005 had any effect on him or not. I'd prefer to have one made in .308, but heck that flat top would make a good bed for that Leatherwood Sporter II scope that's been sitting in my safe for the last 3 years (unused).

Phil