Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Suggestions please...

I have a Winchester Model 70 push feed WSM that has turned out to be a real shooter but I have a issue. I have a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm adj. obj. sitting in Talley steel mounts. The rifle is fine with left/right adjustments but I've ran out of adjustment on elevation and it's shoot 13" too high.

Any ideas as to what to try? This rifle has become a sweet shooter.

Here's a 3 shot - 100 yard group from yesterday (the squares are 1"); [Linked Image]

I had Lee (Redneck) bed, fit to stock and convert from a blind magazine to williams bottom metal. He also adjusted the Timney trigger that I put in it. He turned it from a fair shooting, hard kicker base line model to a great shooter, mild recoiling beauty., but I have to get it "DOWN" a good bit unless I plan on shooting deer at 600 yards!

Here's the rifle; [Linked Image]

This is the scope; http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-...-ii-riflescopes/vx-ii-4-12x40mm-adj-obj/

Here's the rings; http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/cgi-bin/public_controller.cgi?view=products&category_recnum=3

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
More info please. Is the rig as set up have the problem from the first shots or did it start later? It could be the scope (not straight) and can be verified with a different scope. If not the scope contact Talley and discuss the problem. They can make a special set of bases for you. I read a post in the past where a guy did just that. Talley came through for him and he was a happy man.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Burris Signature rings will solve your problem, the ones with the excentric inserts.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
can be verified with a different scope.

Was high from the get go, moved down as far as I could but still too high...

Plan to check with a different scope very soon.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DMB
The Burris Signature rings will solve your problem, the ones with the excentric inserts.

Will keep these in mind if it turns out the scope is ok.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Do you have the correct base on the Front & rear? Can you take a close up pic of the scope/mounts/action?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Do you have the correct base on the Front & rear? Can you take a close up pic of the scope/mounts/action?

I can double check that and I'll take a picture at lunch of the rig.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Your front ring is too low, angling the scope down in front. Change mounts or, easier, put a shim under the front mout, .030" should do it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sorry, I typed faster than I thought...If you had them swapped it would be shooting low I think...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boomtube
Your front ring is too low, angling the scope down in front. Change mounts or, easier, put a shim under the front mout, .030" should do it.

Wouldn't that cause the scope to be even higher on the target?

It's shooting 13" high and by jacking up the front it would make it shoot even higher right?

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
the rear of the scope is elevated to high. Something is wrong with the mount. I know is sounds basic but do you have the right mounts for the gun? I have seen people get them mixed up before.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
100% positive I have the right mounts but LUCKILY I have a set of Leupold mounts that I can try on it. Sounds like I need to change out the mounts, recenter the scope adjustments, bore sight and try again.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No...the opposite. If you have another scope, try it & see what happens. If you have another rifle, try that scope in it...that will narrow it down to where the problem is. I'm not a fan of shims.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had a similar situation with one of my rifles, but it was windage that was the problem. A set of the offset inserts for Burris signature rings solved the problem.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
With the elevation problem you discribed. I would be looking for the correct bases or measuring the ring posts for a problem. I don't like shims but they do work. My favorite 03 Springfield has worn a shim for more than 60 years with no problem.

I would doubt there is a problem with the scope at least at this point. Scope problems usually envolve scattering the shots or not moving when adjusted.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^ Agreed. I had the same problem when I had the bases mixed up. I ended up getting the correct bases for the front and rear, and the problem was solved.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like the bases are messed up or switched (front on the back & back on the front).

Can you take a picture of the entire set-up (rifles,rings & scope all mounted up)??

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I agree with previous posters. Most likely your rings or bases are reversed. I had a similar problem with a m70 WSM though the other way around. Mine shot too low, couldn't get enough elevation. Ended up shiming the rear mount to correct the problem. If you notice the front of the reciever is taller than the rear. I imagine the rings/mounts have been milled to compensate for this. If you have them on backwards it will cause your point of impact to be too high.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
Originally Posted by boomtube

Wouldn't that cause the scope to be even higher on the target?

It's shooting 13" high and by jacking up the front it would make it shoot even higher right?

A rifle is going to shoot where it shoots. You want to make the scope point at the target where the bullets are landing.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260madman, 1minute, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,858
Posts18,478,546
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.