Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would think the 1-A in 303 ought to get the juices flowing.

Welcome back.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by maddog
Just got their newest catalog, and see they dropped the .30-06 out of the model 1A, whats up with that?

maddog

Just a guess...poor sales. Not gonna drop what sells good.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who's that humming taps for the #1?

1B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Had heard the rumors on the internet last yr about it's demise (yeah, net rumors are always true) and then got word they were actually upping production of the #1 for 2010. Seems so thus far! smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BlkHawk73
Originally Posted by maddog
Just got their newest catalog, and see they dropped the .30-06 out of the model 1A, whats up with that?

maddog

Just a guess...poor sales. Not gonna drop what sells good.

Or maybe just trying to push their 300RCM. I bet the 06' will be back in the 1A soon enough.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I want an upgraded (like the Boddington models) Light Sporter in .244 H&H. That would ooze class and would be a nifty rifle for coyotes and whitetails...not to mention duiker. I've never hunted them but I would imagine it would be the perfect duiker rifle.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Personally, I'd take anything without a 22" barrel. The #1A must be a hot thing at the moment because everything new is based on that model. I have a RSI with a 20" barrel, but all that wood kind of makes up for the "looks" on that rifle. For everything else, I think to aesthetically balance a #1 you need at least 24" of tube - my opinion.

So..how about taking that #1 AH like the 25/06 of a few years back and turn out a .280 Rem., or a 6mm Rem. If they really wanted to go out on a limb, a 338/06 might be cool too. If they wanted to be safe, I would be quite happy with the good ole .270 Winchester on that platform.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know this will never happen but I really like the 7.5x55 swiss.Very,very accurate round in my swiss K-31.I would like to see some european cartrides like 7.5x55

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like classic cartridges!

since it sorta looks like a Farquarson, it should be in calibers appropriate to classic british stalking rifles

Got my .450/400 earlier in the year, just ordered a .300 H&H today!

what next? 7x57 in 1A or RSI is probly the next one I get, or maybe the 9.3x74R, If they ever come out with a 1A or RSI in 6.5x55 again, I'll try to get one... but my bank account will need to recover for a while first...

Poole

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
#1A in 22 Hornet; the walking varminter.

#1A in 357 Maximum; Remington still makes brass, its logical.

#1B in 6mmBR but with a twist: no forend, but instead a free-floating tube like on an AR, affixed to the receiver with no contact on the barrel or the forend hanger bar. Picatinny rail for scope mounting. Keep the wood stock, finish the tube in a classy manner.

#1 Tropical in 500 S&W; a close-in thumper and just what the big bore wildcat boys need.

#1 Tropical in 12 Gauge Paradox bore. Altered stock dimensions, no quarter rib; standing leaf rear sight with shotgun front sight.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
#1B in 6mmBR but with a twist: no forend, but instead a free-floating tube like on an AR, affixed to the receiver with no contact on the barrel or the forend hanger bar. Picatinny rail for scope mounting. Keep the wood stock, finish the tube in a classy manner.

no, that's a little too weird...

here's one I thought of, but we're 4 years too late

a .30-06 musket

in the late 1800's military rifles, like the rolling block, sharps, 1873 winchester, 1895 winchester were fitted with long barrels and full length stocks with band holding the stock to the barrel. So make it like that. Then put a target style receiver aperture sight and globe style front sight.

they shoulda done that one for the 100 yr anniversary...

[Linked Image]

a bit like that but the rear sight will have to mount on the receiver not on the tang.

Poole

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In my opinion... (And I know no one asked...) But a Ruger #1 or #3 is a sporting rifle, pure and simple! And putting military touches on one is an abomination. There is no reason whatsoever to try and make it like a military rifle. Carbine buttstocks were so designed for a reason. And the reason is Fighting ! You have no reason to use the butt of a sporting rifle to bash in the head of an enemy. So what it the purpose? A Ruger #1 was never intended to be used as weapon in hand to hand combat.

It is a fine weapon for a discerning sportsman. To use it for anything else is an insult to its purpose.

Ok! rant over... blush

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am hoping for a .22 Hornet as well.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GJN
Well we just had quite a run of new calibers...303, 30-40, 30-30, 264, 257 Roberts, 450 Nitro, 450/400, 35 Whelen, 9.3 x 74, 300 H&H and I'm sure I might have missed some....What do you think we have to look forward to from here??
................How`s about the 416 Ruger? If Ruger can chamber the 375 Ruger (very predictable), I think we can likely expect a 416 Ruger in the #1.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Alot of states are bringing out new laws that allow straight walled cartridges of some sort, including revolver cartridges. So I think they may go in that direction. Something like a 44 magnum or a 45 Colt. Or some other cartridge that would be legal in those states. Marlin is cleaning up right now with their Model 1894 in those cartridges. And I bet any dealer who stocked a #1 in those cartridges would sell the heck out of them. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
Alot of states are bringing out new laws that allow straight walled cartridges of some sort, including revolver cartridges. So I think they may go in that direction. Something like a 44 magnum or a 45 Colt. Or some other cartridge that would be legal in those states.

According to their web site, Ruger currently offers the 1-S in .460 S&W Mag and .475 Linebaugh/.480 Ruger.

http://www.ruger.com/products/no1MediumSporter/models.html

-Bob F.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
Alot of states are bringing out new laws that allow straight walled cartridges of some sort, including revolver cartridges. So I think they may go in that direction. Something like a 44 magnum or a 45 Colt. Or some other cartridge that would be legal in those states. Marlin is cleaning up right now with their Model 1894 in those cartridges. And I bet any dealer who stocked a #1 in those cartridges would sell the heck out of them. Tom.

I guess I am missing something in your post. Perhaps you can name recent specific game reg changes in various states which would lead to a boom in pistol round chambered rifle sales..

Most state game departments have allowed handgun cartidges for MANY ,MANY years.. whether used in a hangun OR a rifle. Nothing new at all there.

If you are reffering to states like Mississippi which allows single shot breechloaders with EXTERNAL hammers like the High walls ,NEFs etc to be used during primitve hunting seasons.. yes that is new but it is not taking the country by storm..I wish it would but it ain't..

As far as Marlin "Cleaning up" in pistol calibered rifles.. well that is not a recent thing either.. They did "clean up" in the Cowboy shooting Market for US made rifles, market is pretty much plugged up now- old news....

Straight walled prilol cartridge rifle sales have certainly been no boon to Marlin in the last 2 years- their lever rifle sales have dropped by about 50% and that was one of the deciding factors in Remington /Cerberus decision to integrate Marlin rifle production into existing Reminton plants in NY...

Last edited by jim62; 08/13/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well Indiana for one. And yes some other states having the laws on rifles that were built before certain years. I could look those up. But I feel no need to prove any point to a jack*** like you. I personally have sold one 1894 to an individual in Indiana who is taking advantage of the new laws in Indiana that are allowing those rifles!!

And I did not say all of Marlin's rifles are selling well. But I specified the 1894 is doing very well for them, and it is. As a matter of fact the Marlin 1894 is doing so well that they have even brought out a high grade in that model. And the cowboy models are doing very well in cowboy action shooting. I have friends who are dealers and they tell me the 1894's are difficult for them to get on a regular basis because of their popularity.

Why are you such a jerk?? Or should I say TROLL?? Tom.

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 08/13/10.

West By God Virginia
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jim62

- their lever rifle sales have dropped by about 50% and that was one of the deciding factors in Remington /Cerberus decision to integrate Marlin rifle production into existing Remington plants in NY...

Talk about questioning something someone says?? How would you know about your above statements?? Unless you sit on the Board of Directors. Which I am sure you do not. Becasue a TROLL like you would put something like that in every post so you could beat your chest!! But them maybe the Chairman of the Board or the CEO calls on TROLLS for advice?? Could be?? Tom.

West By God Virginia
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I by no means consider myself to be the expert that the TROLL believes he is. But what would be wrong with more revolver cartridge #1's?? That 460 mentioned above would be dandy cartridge. But I wll not know that for sure until the TROLL verifies it!!

However I really do like my Low Wall's in 44 magnum and 45 Colt. But then I guess according to the TROLL those are junk also. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,414
Posts18,489,049
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.