Print Thread
Hop To
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Bought a Rifle Basics trigger a while back -got around to installing it sunday -when reading the instructions it said to call them before readjusting it ?
Got it put together and it tried it out -no scale but i'd guess it to be 5-6lbs of pull and it was suppose to be "factory set at 10-12oz.".
They sent me the L-1 not the LV-1 i ordered -the factory trigger was a lot better than this POS .
I'll be taking it off and sending it back for a refund -i don't do business with dumbasses that cost me a good bit of time for nothing !

Last edited by ol_mike; 08/03/10.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
had one replaced it with a Jewell. lesson learned on trying to save a few bucks

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 and thumbs up on Timney.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I know of a reputable gunsmith who will not use Rifle Basix triggers on builds due to problems with inconsistency. Sorry to hear of your problems. I've got one Timney and it is nice. I've not heard a bad word about Jewell triggers, supposed to be top of the line.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've used two basix triggers before an did not care for either one. inconsistant weights of pull and they didn't compare to the shilen and jewel triggers that I owned at the time.
I've used the shilen standard lately with good results.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by sambo3006
I know of a reputable gunsmith who will not use Rifle Basix triggers on builds due to problems with inconsistency. Sorry to hear of your problems. I've got one Timney and it is nice. I've not heard a bad word about Jewell triggers, supposed to be top of the line.

Funny how everyone has their opinions. Glen Harrison ( designer of Nesika, Phoenix machine, defiance machine) won't use Timneys anymore since they switched the way their 700 pattern triggers work. Bought one for my custom action and called to tell me he couldn't get it to adjust and break like he had in the past. Called Timney and they told him that they re-designed it (for the worse) he told me to use a Rifle Basix. Mine came pre-adjusted at 1.5# and it pretty nice.

Everyone barks about the Jewels, which are a nice trigger for a target rifle, they don't hold up in harsh conditions. They can't take dust very well. I want a reliable trigger before I worry about the knat's ass in creep and such. There may be better triggers out there than the Rifle Basix but it is not Timney. I think I would try a Shilen next.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Problems with Rifle Basix are usually traced back to NOT READING and following the instructions to make sure the mounting pins are SLIP fit. Personally the ERV-3 have been getting rave reviews from my customers.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have 7 of them and have had zero issues. Chevy/ Ford thing.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've only had one Rifle Basix trigger and I'll never buy another. The trigger pull itself was ok, the problem was the safety. It took so much force to engage and disengage the safety that I could see the trigger housing visibly flex, probably 1/16 of an inch or so. Seems like a good way to drop the sear and have an accidental discharge. I gave it to a gunsmith friend, told him to take the safety off and use it at the bench only for testing customer guns for accuracy because the pull itself wasn't too shabby.

I had pretty bad luck with Jard's 9 ounce trigger guts for a 700 assembly, too. Never could get that working and gave the boogered up parts to my gunsmith friend so he could share the frustration!

I've only had one Timney ... old one. I believe it's in that gunsmith's daughter's rifle now. It was not any better than the very early 700 factory triggers but a lot better than the ones that were coming out at the time I bought it.

I haven't used Shilen. I won't comment there.

What I do is, for a pound or more pull weight, I send my 700 triggers back to Neil Jones for adjustment. He's done 100% great work for me for probably 15 years. If I want a lighter trigger, then I buy a Jewell.

I've never had a problem with a Jewell trigger. I shoot varmints a lot in dusty conditions, my rifle rode in an open jeep a lot. I just made a point of flushing out the trigger with lighter fluid when I was cleaning the bore. Worked for me.

I remember something Jeff Cooper said, at least I think it was him, "fresh oats cost more." Yep, if you're only willing to pay the price for recycled oats, then that's what you'll get. Enjoy 'em!

Tom

Last edited by T_O_M; 08/09/10.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have seen more than one Jewel trigger refuse to set because there was dust in the mechanism. I guess we have dustier conditions in Arizona? When they are clean, the Jewels are tough to beat. I just can't take that chance as I have seen it happen here before.

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have no idea why RB advertises their triggers to have a pull range then gets nasty when you attempt to adjust. The owner (Bob??) informed me that the trigger "came from the factory adjusted perfectly" and that I shouldn't have messed with it. He had no explanantion as to why they had a range of adjustment advertised if the consumer was not supposed to actually adjust the trigger. No more RB triggers for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holly Crap Fat Man - I have had all the trigger mentioned above and really like the Rifle Basix and the Timmney, the jewel is a very fine trigger but not for big game hunting (mine failed twice in the cold and wet). So on my Rem's I stick with the old style timmeny's or the RB's, on my savage's I use SSS triggers. Oh well, nothing is perfect except for my shooting skills - it's a chuck norris thing I guess!

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
+1 and thumbs up on Timney.

I had a R/B that came with a custom build,and i'll never own another!

I'm glad that you fellas that like them had good luck.But i didn't.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
new guy here....

I put together a 300wm from a Savage model 10 7mag action and a Model 112 heavy barrel.
Factory trigger just wasnt cutting it. I found a RB trigger on sale and ordered it.
Its set right at 1.5# and has been as consistent as i need it to be. Used the rifle and placed 3rd in a Fclass match in the open division with a score of 380 out of possible 400.

Tried a Jard in my R700 and i never could get it to work no matter what i did.. Jard Triggers in my AR15s work perfect..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice shooting and welcome Nonnieselman. Funny how one man's junk is another man's gold. LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a RB on my custom 6.5-284 (Phoenix action) and I am very pleased with it. I agree on not using the Jewels for hunting rifles and I don't care for the "new" style Timneys. I would like to try a Shilen as I have heard lots of positive about it.

My RB came adjusted just how I like it.

NRA Benefactor Member

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have had two of them and they both were troublesome, would not hold adjustment. I have swithched to Jewels and they have worked just fine on hunting rilfes even in extreme conditions.

Lefty C

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have and use R/B triggers on some older pre Accue trigger Savage rifles....not as good as the Sharp Shooter trigger but very usable....instuctions aren't great....C/S response is good...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
had one replaced it with a Jewell. lesson learned on trying to save a few bucks
+1

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 53 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,898
Posts18,518,425
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.