Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
Hello everyone,
I just installed a Timney featherlight in my 1918 Carl Gustav swede and am having an issue. When the bolt is retracted after firing, the sear hits the top of the trigger(looking through the peep) and won't allow the bolt to pull back. I removed the sear and shaved the back portion of it, but no luck. I called Timney and they said to file the face of the action where it meets the sear. I'm not sure how this will help. It seems the sear is not moving back and down when the bolt is retracted, it just moves down and hits the trigger. If I pull the trigger while retracting then it works just fine, but that would be a pain in the field. Any ideas? Thaks is advance!

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Apparantly the sear is too high ( too long ) I would think the sear is the place to cut it down and then reharden is a good idea or the cocking piece could be cut also..

I am not sure what they mean by cutting the face of the action? The action is the whole damn thing! perhaps the mean the bolt as only the bolt cocking peice and the sear pertain to each other in that they contact. Sounds like to me you talked to a nut case telephone guy..

F
OP Offline
F
He meant the face of the cocking piece where it meets the sear. I have already shortened the sear to the point it wouldn't cock anymore. Then back to the welder and refiled everything but the face of the sear as low as I can, still no luck. What would filing the face of the cocking piece do to help? I certainly don't want to just to "give it a try"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a similar problem with my swede after having a gunsmith install a Dayton - Traister cock on opening conversion and trigger. The problem was that the back of the trigger was hitting the stock and not allowing the sear to fully retract. Try relieving the stock behind the trigger and see if the sear retracts enough.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
F
OP Offline
F
I haven't put it in the stock yet, but that may be an issue in the future! Thanks for the thought though.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,658
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.