-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I know this sounds a little stupid, but what the heck- another topic in the reloading forum to talk about.

I am not exactly sure how Wilson seating dies work, but it got me thinking. What if you put your brass in the seating die without the seater in place, then dropped in the bullet from the top and threaded down the seater?

I know this would take up time to do, but with the case supported in the die, it seems like the bullet would be placed plum with the mouth. Is this how the Wilson die works?

Ok,I am ready to be called retarded.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The seater doesn't thread down to put the bullet in the case.

Read this:

http://www.lewilson.com/images/BULLET_SEATER_-_CHAMBER_TYPE.pdf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know what it would do but I would pull the trigger with a string from a distance the first time! I used to load the hollow base .38 wadcutters upside down in my .357 and we would shoot 2 x 4's into splinters at the deer camp with them. They weren't very accurate but very destructive at close range.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've never done it but I've read that it's no different than shooting a wad cutter in a pistol. also, inside of 100 yards, they can be surprisingly accurate. Maybe sorta like shooting a bullet with a very long boat tail on it????

Aim for the exit hole.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The OP isn't talking about putting the bullet in the case backwards, he's talking about reversing the bullet seating step in the reloading sequence. No, you can't do it as the seating stem diameter is a lot smaller than bullet diameter. Additionally the seating plug is larger diameter than the seating stem, so you can't put the seating stem/plug assembly in from the top of the die - it has to go in from the bottom, the same side as the case goes in. You might be able to screw the seating stem/plug all the way up, place the bullet on top of the case, run the case/bullet up into the die, then screw down the seating stem/plug with a screwdriver to seat the bullet. Probably wouldn't help anything though, as there is clearance built into the die for generous case neck thickness differences, so the case isn't really supported snugly anyway...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, not loading the bullet base first. Thanks kcn

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KCN, that's what I was doing last night in my first time using the Wilson seater. I don't have an arbor press so I was doing it by hand, it just seemed to make sense to put the brass on the base, cover it with the die body, place the bullet in the hole, watch it float on the air column, then push it down with the seater portion.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Yeah, not loading the bullet base first. Thanks kcn

But even that works okay; two bullets in one case base to base, not so well. The second bullet is low -as expected- but It generally also "windages" as well.

Can't help with the original question.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I saw a test report of shooting bullets base up. Accuracy was far better than I would have expected.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kcn can read! bt cant!

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What about cutting the base off your brass putting the bullet in from the bottom,loading powder and then taping the base back on the case?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What you smokin? Must be some good stuff. LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
What about cutting the base off your brass putting the bullet in from the bottom,loading powder and then taping the base back on the case?

Or, forget about the brass altogether. It's a design I've been thinking about for years, the caseless rifle. It works like this - pour your powder charge down the barrel, then seat a bullet on top of it. The primer goes on a special holder on the backside of the barrel. What do you all think??? wink

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by DMB
I saw a test report of shooting bullets base up. Accuracy was far better than I would have expected.

That'd be one heckofa boat tail for such an inefficient tip wink .

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have developed a load for the 308 Win using Horn 110 gr bullet seated upside down using a fast powder and dacron overwad. Accuracy is exceptional and velocity is slightly over 2000 fps. I have used it for head shots on squirrels and rabbits to 80 yds. Also use it for possum and raccoons and feral cats.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
This is a well accepted practice for subsonic competition match rifles (.300 whisper etc) since below the speed of sound a teardrop configuration is more aerodynamically efficient, and your MV is below the speed of sound, it only makes sence.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alabama, would you mind sharing that recipe via PM? I have a bunch of 110 gr. that I'd like to run way down in velocity for plinking and such.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have loaded with for years with my home made hand dies. They seat the bullet from the top with the neck held. About as concentric as you can get. The Wilson dies are that way but there is a die manufacture that works with standard reloading pressed that will do the same thing. There is a slotted hole near the top of the seating die where you drop the bullet and then seat with a stroke of the leaver. Sorry but the brand name has escaped my old tired brain.

If you can you should try hand dies. If you have a lathe they are easy to make. I made my press from an old bottle capper by cutting off the base, removing about six inches of the back beam and braising it back together. Total cost was five dollars including the braising rod.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Never even occured to me to try??

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by DMB

I read reports of the Germans pulling their bullets and loading them upside down, they used them with great success to shoot through the trench armor. I believe it's called 'riveting".
I have loaded 308 bullets upside down, accuracy was amazingly good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1minute, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 71 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,190
Posts18,484,940
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.