Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Well, I don't know nuthin' about them AR-15s but iffen I were in a gunsmith school I probably would want to learn about them.

They are among the most popular centerfire rifles around and you can customize them into myriad configurations. I should think a gunsmith could generate a steady income by working on those rifles for their customers. While I find it easy and even fun to work on my ARs there are many people who can't even change a trigger or mount a scope. This is where you might come in and do all that for them, plus more. I purchased and read the latest book from Zediker and I think as an aspiring gunsmith, you might want to look at that book as a starting guide. It details all the tools needed to do a good job on an AR-15 (or AR-10).

While I draw the line at chambering, I am no gunsmith, I have done a lot of the other mods shown in the book.

However, I will echo Jeff's thoughts about building your own AR-15. You would learn a lot about the rifle and it would save you money. The next step is to actually go out and shoot it. This will show you the things that can be improved with acccessories and which accessories are not worth the time to install and their cost. You can then speak with some degree of authority about these things with your customers.

The danger with the AR-15 is BRD, especially when you start shooting them. It is much worse if you can actually work on them.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
All I can say at this point is WOW.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Jeff, I believe that you have it fully and completely covered with that succinct statement. smile

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Another great place to get some good information on ARs, including available aftermarket parts and how to put them together is Brownells.

Go to ar15builder.com, and sign up to get their AR-15 Catalog. This is a free catalog and is totally dedicated to AR-15 and AR-10 parts and accessories. They have doziens of short videos that show how to work on an AR.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I started to smell [bleep] so I skipped a whole lot of posts here... (ROST495 has good insight and I trust him though as I think he may have shot with me @ Quantico and CP)I have a CMMG lower and a DPMS kit to complete the package and you will not go wrong if you are shooting matches or whatever. I have been to one of the best gunsmithing schools in America- the PWS/WTBN shop @ Quantico, Va, so I'm not bullshitting you, I know many of the best shooters nationally, have several shooters who won championships under my guns on the USMC teams..... and I'm telling you that standard CMMG parts are ok. Some folks get caught up in a brand stamp and more than often it really doesn't mean a [bleep] in quality for aluminum guns. You can get a forged receiver if it makes you happy or if you are looking to break bench-rest records. IMO the 5.56/223 doesn't need a forged receiver to make a .22 hit a tick in the ass if you can hit yours with both hands. But for a run of the mill ar15, you are fine with CMMG, Colt, Larue, or whatever the hell name brand or cool looking gayrod logo anyone puts on their receiver. This is what you asked for, this is the answer you get. After you twist some wrenches and spin some bbls on the lathe and hand cut AR15 and M-14 bbl feed ramps to work under national and international competition, you will have similar opinions and you will start to slap the [bleep] out of people who read too many damned shooting magazines and extend their superior receiver wisdom to new tyros like yourself.
Best regards, keep your stones wet, your files carded and never lend a tool you like to anyone in the gunsmithing industry.
Mike C/2112 SGT/USMC

Last edited by runninmike; 08/17/10. Reason: WASN'T FINISHED
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you tried contacting DPMS in St. Cloud, MN.? Maybe they might have a reduced price for gunsmithing students? Wouldn't hurt to ask. They might be willing to help out.

DPMS Contacts

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a CMMG and no complaints so far. I haven't shot it extensively though.

As to accessories, one man's frivolity is another's need. You'll know more about it once you get into it. I'd go with bare-bones to start and add from there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Son,

You are going to completely alienate yourself from everyone on the fire if you keep talking to them the way you did in the thread about AR accessories. These guys know their stuff, and aren't afraid to tell you about their experiences, but you can't keep asking for their opinions, and then disputing them! You have at this time, no AR, and absolutely no experience with them! All the on-line reviews don't ammount to a bucket of spit compared to real world experience, of which you have none with this weapon system. Until such time as you DO have some first hand experience with them, DON'T DISPUTE THOSE THAT DO! You are developing a reputation as a know-it-all malcontent on here. DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT'S BEING SAID! Show respect for those who are experienced in these areas and they will show respect for you.

Guys, the above is a copy of the PM I sent to my son regarding his comments here. Unfortunately, it appears he hasn't quite grasped the concept of asking for advice and then not disputing the folks that are nice enough to give it to him. I appreciate everyone's contributions here, and I apologize for his remarks. Please don't confuse his views here with mine. I've gone to the well here many times for advice from our members, and never once have I been lead astray. I guess my comments to him above pretty well sum up how I feel about his behavior here.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
gophergunner, class act. No harm as far as I'm concerned. Hell, we sometimes get pissy with each other as to what's the Best, ya just have to be a bit thick skinned.
I think JOG will do just fine and wish him the best with his schooling.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Same here, no harm no foul. It's just the internet.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,479
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.