Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by highridge1
Lots of people into ar's. Personally I have just about no use for them,but I don't have anything against them. 223's don't do much for me.

Regardless of cartridge chambering I have no use for them either.

Much prefer my single shots.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
HR IC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had an AR and it was a fine shooter. It shot as well as I did, maybe better. I would actually like just about everyone to have an AR at some point and get familiar with it and use it regularly. Hell, I might even like firearms basic instruction taught in high school and then have an "elective" portion of the class that allows the students range time if they are further interested in firearms instruction. An AR15 would be a good rifle to get them into (maybe a class after basic instruction) since it's our service rifle.

However, all that said, I didn't much care for the AR. It was ok, but has too many moving parts (or so it seems) for me and is a caliber that doesn't hold much interest for me. I like smaller and larger, but not .223. But, .223 is a pretty good caliber for some things, so more power to those that have a use/need for it. I do get looks at the range now when I'm sighting in with a lever-gun and most other people either have an AR or a bolt-gun.

Another one of the things I've found is that a particular gun usually doesn't hold my interest forever. So, I had an AR, it was fine and did exactly what it was supposed to do and it went back into circulation so hopefully someone else that wanted an AR is now shooting a ragged .223 hole in something.

To each their own.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by nsaqam
I agree with most of what you wrote here but the AWB didn't actually prevent you from buying what was still fundamentally an AR with minor modifications. The time the AWB was in effect was when the big surge in AR popularity started IIRC.

BTW, I've used several AR's, both .223 and .308, and their appeal is lost on me.

As someone that lived in California at the time, the AWB was the reason for much of the surge in popularity, just like there was a surge when Obama was elected. I was one of the people "scrambling" to get an AR at the time and it was completely a political situation that created the fervor over the AR, at least in California. It may not have been illegal to buy an AR (type), but try to find one. Prices went through the roof, and there were long waiting lists and ultimately I wasn't able to buy one at all (in California), even offering cash over retail. I actually had one on order through more than one dealer (I'd have bought more than one at the time) and was ultimately told it will never come. My AR ended up being pieced together because a complete rifle couldn't be had. Complete ARs were few and far between.

After 10+ years I had since got bored with the AR and sold it when Obama was elected, for twice what I paid for it. The popularity of the AR waxes and wanes with the political tide. I can now purchase a NIB AR15 for hundreds less than I sold my used AR.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Can I play? At least this one is fairly green. I also own a couple of Mannlicher Schoenauers, some classic 98s, and several other probably 'acceptable' bolt rifles. Hunters/shooters go through several stages in the shooting tastes-don't sound or be so judgemental, snobby, nor elitist. I carried a M16A1 for a living for awhile; I didn't shoot one for 30 years until a friend asked me to clean his Bushmaster. That old 'sproing' of the buffer spring brought back so many old memories- so I have several ARs now. And at my range out behind the house anything is acceptable. PH

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There is room for everyone in the shooter's tent imo-safety rules as always. Tastes vary and change-thank God for new interest in the shooting sports-and I love ARs. PH

Oh I almost forgot this pix of my 9yo who used HIS AR to bag a nice little buck last year-1 shot bamflop at 70 yards-at least the rifle ain't black either-just redneck camo. PH

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Plateau Hunter; 08/19/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm missing your point...

I have 2 ar15's, 1 ar10, 1 custom bolt, 1 marlin lever.

Is you problem with ARs or what?

BTW a 200yard shot is no big deal

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColdBore

.....listening to your elitist attitude,
and talking down about my AR's.

Why is it that disliking AR's is seen as being elitist when disliking Brownings, Kimbers, or Remingtons is seen as perfectly legitimate?

The AR crowd is overly sensitive methinks.

When is the last time you saw a post about being the only one at the range with a Kimber...

It not a brand he's complaining about but a whole class of rifles.

Last edited by temmi; 08/19/10.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against the AR's. I own one. They can be a lot of fun, sorta like a hi-powered 10/22. I just didn't like the "formality" of the shoot. Everything was rigid and precomposed, the "leader" was following a script from a notebook he had with him.

I just ain't that formal, and like I said, I like to shoot alone or nearly so. I can shoot once or thrice, and check it out, come back and shoot again. Besides, they were moving down the range in front of the benches. Keeping anyone else from firing, tying up the range, and keeping the line cold.

It is interesting that my SIL who has never shot or been around firearms, the one he gravitates to, drools over, is my Oylmpic.

As I stated, they seemed to be having fun for the most part. It was a extremely hot and humid day and they were out sweating in the sun and lying in the sand.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I hate is some jerk who shows up at the range with his new fangled "flint lock" and brags about how he can get off 3 rounds per minute. Azzhole!

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by temmi
Originally Posted by ColdBore

.....listening to your elitist attitude,
and talking down about my AR's.

Why is it that disliking AR's is seen as being elitist when disliking Brownings, Kimbers, or Remingtons is seen as perfectly legitimate?

The AR crowd is overly sensitive methinks.

When is the last time you saw a post about being the only one at the range with a Kimber...

It not a brand he's complaining about but a whole class of rifles.

AR's refer to a single basic design with many variations on a common theme. I don't view AR as being synonymous with all semi auto military originated rifles.

I love the FAL and the M1.

I see them as I do Savages for instance. 1 basic design, many variations and styles. The Savage, Stevens, and ER Shaw rifles get slammed as junk alot as do other makes of rifles. It's part and parcel of an active, opinionated, and diverse community.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big deal, AR's are everywhere. I laugh to myself as I look at them in all their "tactical" gear.

I was shooting on Tues afternoon, couple young guys were there with their AR's. One of them also had a tricked out M-1A, and he was going on and on about how powerful the 308 is.

At least they are into shooting and not just wasting away playing video games.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How'd you sneak up on those coyotes and lay your rifle on them without waking them up Plateau Hunter?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=T_O_M

The only thing I truly DON'T like is having pinheads shooting semi-autos of ANY sort bouncing flying brass around me when I'm trying to squeeze bug-holes with a 2 ounce trigger. That's a question of manners, not of equipment. [/quote]
Bingo!!! And a lot of the shooters seem to be pinheads

Aim for the exit hole.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think it's pretty funny the "old guard" cannot stand those ugly, inaccurate black rifles whose owners all pop off at the range all tacticooled up...

I think folks who shoot a deer with anything more than 35 grains of powder is just wasteful and can't understand it. There's no purpose I tell you!

I love my bolties and my AR's (probably as accurate as the naysayers can shoot them) but the "holier than thou" and I "cannot see any use at all for those stupid AR's" crowd needs to realize that lumping folks into categories can be a dangerous practice, especially when they look in the mirror...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by conrad101st
"The only thing I truly DON'T like

bouncing flying brass around me when I'm trying to squeeze bug-holes with a 2 ounce trigger. That's a question of manners, not of equipment."

+1 that is what is annoying about AR types, you would think they would put something over the rifle to deflect the brass down instead of onto others.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
What I hate is some jerk who shows up at the range with his new fangled "flint lock" and brags about how he can get off 3 rounds per minute. Azzhole!

[Linked Image]

hahahaha

I'll agree that anyone shooting ANYTHING at a range needs to have some manners and respect for whoever is shooting next to them. Whether that is the guy shooting an AR or a 10/22 and not spraying hot brass or it is some fella who thinks that no one else should be shooting next to him because he has a 2 oz trigger and his little tiny groups are more important than the other guy who is mostly just having fun putting rounds down range.
Should be room for both at the range and respect the next guy!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like they were having a fun time at the rifle range. I can dig that. As for AR's well they are the Nation's Service Rifle like it or not. You can get them now in cartridges that make them pretty good game getters. Since I now hunt with a Blaser R-93 and a Benelli Vinci since last summer. I now look at guns in a new light. Just because the my have a funky look or operate differently that what you use to use dose not make them any less useful. I can think of a few situations in the field were the AR would be the perfect choice. Never mind that the current crop of soldiers returning home from the wars, its all they know since so few youngsters hunt or shoot at all prior to Military service. So they take up the sport and well there are sporting versions of what they know, and well they Sell a lot of them. It took World War I to turn America from the Lever Action to the Bolt. And we all know that in America The Bolt action Rifle Rules.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TOM - "The only thing I truly DON'T like is having pinheads shooting semi-autos of ANY sort bouncing flying brass around me when I'm trying to squeeze bug-holes with a 2 ounce trigger. That's a question of manners, not of equipment." Amen to that.

Whenever spotted alongside a semi-auto rifle I would tie a bandana around my neck. HOT BRASS down your shirt leads to strange antics, deleted expletives and screwed up groups.
Regards, Homesteader.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont care one way or another if someone is shooting an AR or not. I dont own one, but I dont look down on anyone shooting one.

I just get a chuckle out of seeing folks dressed up, whether they are playing SWAT, cowboy or biker. Maybe my sense of humor is off, but thats just me.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Ste_vel
To all,

My primary point is that it seems as if the AR has taken over in rifle popularity. I used to compete in slow fire position matches with both a .22 and a center fire for about 40 years. Today those matches don't exist for the most part and have been replaced by matches where the AR is used and rapid fire is part of the course.

I don't see where an AR is going to help me get a woodchuck or a deer. I am also concerned with what the landowner sees.

Steve, Might not have been your intent but you came off as a snob. Like others pointed out the AR brings in young people and new people to the sport.

What you might want to do next time is introduce youself and exchange information and ideas.

Or continue to come off like a old grumpy guy and roll your eyes.

Your choice.

S
Ste_vel Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
/

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,017
Posts18,500,387
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.