Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RedLeg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just returned from a simply amazing 10 days in North Central Namibia and the Caprivi Strip with Jamy Traut and Eden Safaris. I was on Eden for plains game and the Caprivi concession for buffalo.

The first morning in the Caprivi indicated pretty clearly I wasn't in Northern Virginia any longer. As I emerged from my tent for what was expected to be a 45 minute run by boat to the area we would hunt, my young PH, Dries Alberts looked at my cased rifle and suggested in his clipped Afrikaans accent that I leave the rifle case behind. He went on to recommend that I ride with a round chambered. "The hippo can be a bother" he shrugged as we climbed into the aluminum skiff.

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/Joe4303/Eland#5505640777036168610[/img]

The Caprivi camp was beautiful, situated on one of the many branches of the Kwando River, it is an area of vast marshes, low ridges and islands, and clear running channels. Hippo rumbled and grunted all night, and big crocs were regularly seen sunning themselves by the larger lagoons. We were constantly dodging elephant, and on the first morning a huge bull, which Dries estimated at nearly sixty a side, walked up within fifty feet of us (to have had a permit for him!)

We caught our buffalo in the very late afternoon. We were standing on the edge of a marsh across which were sprinkled several tiny islands. From the center of one of them some 400 meters away, a buffalo's boss suddenly emerged. The old dugga boy was bedded on the island and was obviously stirring as he prepared for a night of feeding. We ducked, backed away, and put another of the little islands between us and him. We then waded out through the marsh which was covered in about a foot of water and six inches of muck. The saw grass was chest high. Walking wasn't too bad until one of us would step into an elephant track. I only managed to sit down for a cold dunk once, and felt a little better about it when Dries went down on one knee. Derek, our tracker, may have been able to walk across the water.

Upon reaching the island, we crawled through a dense bit of acacia and rose thorn (realy nasty little hooks). All three of us were cut up pretty good getting to an ant hill from which I could ease into a sitting position. When asked later by Jamy how long we had to wait for a shot once we were in position, Dries replied dryly, "about a liter's worth." We were about a hundred meters from the bedded bull and both of us were slightly above the intervening marsh grass. I was wrapped into my sling and the green dot from my Trijicon scope was locked on the little I could see of him. The only question was whether or not he would stand with enough light left to shoot.

After a half hour, and as the sun was dipping below the horizon, he finally stood. He was facing three-quarters toward me with his forequarters much higher than his rear. As he turned his head to the left opening the junction of neck and shoulder, I touched off a 300 gr TSX from my .375. The bull collapsed in his tracks as if the ground had been taken out from under him. I immediately worked the bolt ready to shoot again, but other than shaking his head a couple of times, the old dugga boy never moved again. We were all estatic. None more so than Derek who wouldn't have to track a hard hit bull in the fading light through a marsh!

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/Joe4303/Eland#5505638259641391906[/img]

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/Joe4303/Eland#5505640845870149714[/img]

We splashed over to huge old bull, later measuring a tad over 42 inches back at the skinning shed, to touch him and to take a couple of quick pictures. We would return in the morning with skinners and packers to get him out and take formal pictures. We were nearly six miles from the boat and could only get within about four the next day which made for quite an old school operation getting him out. The night hike out with one flashlight among the four of us (me, PH, tracker, and conservancy scout) was an adventure in itself. I did learn the hard way during that trek that an elephant's eyes do not reflect light! We stumbled into camp around 10:00 pm to quite a celebration. Upon butchering the bull to carry him out the next morning, we discovered that the TSX had taken him through the heart, passed between the lungs and lodged in his spine behind the shoulders. That explained the nearly instant kill.

I spent the remainder of my time on Eden hunting plains game. A 38 inch eland, 31 inch waterbuck, and 54 inch kudu were highlights of that hunting. I also took hartebeest, inpala, and wildebeest.

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/Joe4303/Eland#5499985628106833618[/img]
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/Joe4303/Eland#5505640808775072594[/img]
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/Joe4303/Eland#5505640830294303474[/img]
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/Joe4303/Eland#5505638284088759842[/img]

The eland hunt was particularly interesting. We cut tracks of a small herd of bulls at dawn and stayed on them most of the day. I am not sure how many miles we covered, but we dogged them for about six hours before finally being blown by a couple of cows which were satellited off of them. We never saw the bulls, but their meandering tracks straightened out instantly and looked like they intended to reach Botswana before they stopped. The next morning we did the same thing, picking up three bulls where they had left a water hole during the night. We caught them in about three hours and I took the huge old bull when he materialized out of his bed not forty yards away. Again the 300 gr TSX performed flawlessly.

Couln't recomend an area or operation more highly. Eden lives up to its name as a plains game paradise, and the Caprivi is an Africa that would have looked familiar to Hemingway or Ruark. Am booked for a plains game hunt elsewhere for next summer, but will be back in the Caprivi for buffalo (and maybe that bull elephant) just as soon as I can.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I hunted the exact same camp with my wife and Dries last September. It was an outstanding hunt as well with a very nice buffalo. I couldn't agree more that they run an excellent operation. Kudu schnitzel was excellent as well. I am wanting to go back for an elephant now.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Absolutely outstanding trophies!!

Congrats!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrats on a great hunt! Beautiful trophies!

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 08/21/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent !

Va t'in tch�re !
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Looks like a great hunt. thanks for posting. Very nice rifle and animals. good shooting as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations on the great hunt! You have very good photos also. My friend went to the RSA last year, near Botswana. Very nice trophies, but whoever took his photos should be beaten (especially considering you can review your photos on a digital). Almost all of the photos had the hunter's heads partially missing, or not well set up and composed. I was very disappointed for him. That may be his only trip. I guess he shares culpability, as he could have demanded that the photos be retaken, if he had reviewed them. I would have.

Anyways, you have some beautiful trophies there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Superb collection of trophies and grat photographs too! Good shooting and congratulations! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Now that's a safari laugh

If I ever make it back that's definitely one I'd be interested in doing...Fantastic!!!

Excellent hunt report and pics!!!!

Thank you!!!!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for sharing, just fuels the desire.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well written.

Great photos of one heck of a hunt. Congratulations!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Redleg,
Thanks for posting. Man would I like to go to the Caprivi and get a buff like that. Also, what a waterbuck! Thanks for your support on my thread as well.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Bloody nice buff and a superb waterbuck!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
As others have said terrific story and GREAT photos.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great write up, and an utterly fantastic kudu!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Redleg...you just motivated me to send in my next deposit early. Great job all around,man!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 55 invisible), 4,458 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,701
Posts18,534,699
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.