-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll trade the MT weather for the current East TN weather. Its about 152 outside right now.

Of course I just got back from a bike ride blush

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dove season opens Sept 1. Year after year we'll get a cold front right around there and they'll all be gone. A few years ago I went bow hunting over Labor Day here near Sun Valley. I hunted in 4" of snow. 3 days later it was close to 80.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would give anything to be chest deep in some Montana snow. It reached 107 here in Oklahoma today and is supposed to be warmer tomorrow. Oh joy! whistle

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The evenings here have definitely been cooler the last few days... loving it! Can't wait for antelope hunting in just over a month.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good! Keeps the riff-raff out.

Wife, son and I will be backpacking over a 9,200' pass tomorrow. Should be a gorgeous weekend...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Sainte_Terrer
I would give anything to be chest deep in some Montana snow. It reached 107 here in Oklahoma today and is supposed to be warmer tomorrow. Oh joy! whistle

I suppose my boy's just eatin' up at Ft. Sill, then. grin

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys talking about snow make me want to puke.
Heat index of 112 yesterday and supposed to be hotter today.
Won't cool off much before turkey day.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Archery antelope opens in Montana tomorrow...statewide.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Back in the mid-80's I was living in Missoula. A couple buddies and I did a drop camp in the Great Bear Wilderness, at the southern end of the Bob, opening week of the back-country deer and elk rifle season, starting on Sept. 15th. We'd always wanted to rifle-hunt in nice weather.

It started raining the first day of the season, which turned to snow that night. Two days into the hunt we were all dressed up in our November wool and pacs, and most of the photos of the hunt look like November. The snow kept falling and none of the deer and elk were stupid enough to stay up that high.

The only game we got was a pair of blue grouse I shot the day before the big game season started, when it was still nice.
The major excitement of the hunt came when one of my buddies and I were up on a ridge above camp during the peak of the snowstorm and almost got hit by lightning.

When I got back home, my wife said it had rained a couple of times in Missoula, but otherwise had been really nice....

That must have been in 85. Just guessing of course. I went to basic August 1 to Texas and sweated for 12 weeks. My mom said the temp went into the 50s on the 15th of August never getting into the 60s and snowed 1 Sept. This was east of the divide at Great Falls

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Out here in Aleutian Hell, I doubt the thermometer has cracked 55* F more than ten days all summer. It's been wet, cloudy, misty, foggy, windy, foggy some more, rainy and windy.

I'm glad I'm getting out of this miserable blowhole in a couple weeks to go moose hunting up north where I can at least warm up for the first couple weeeks of September and dry out a bit before it starts turning cold. Even then, cold up there is way better than this crap.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a Hunter,

That would be about right, as we left Missoula in the spring of '86.

When I got up here (Townsend) this morning a little before six the thermometer read 42 degrees, so it's starting to feel like early hunting season.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was thinking it felt like fall when I went outside this morning. I have a bow elk tag for that encompasses the CMR, but was going to avoid the early part of the season as it is usually very warm and the mesquitoes and biting flys will carry a person away. However, this year might be a good time to hit the early season. I have only seen a few mesquitoes and very few biting type flies. Too cold I guess.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was up in the mountains over the weekend, low of 34* this morning and what turned into likely the most beautiful day of this very short summer...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
gorgeous day here too. we took the ATV up Emigrant Gulch and we had a great day. no wind and perfect temps

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My wife & I drove through a brief snowstorm on the east side of Lake Tahoe, south of Incline Village, last week on August 7th. We were coming back from a wiped-out Michael MacDonald concert at Tahoe NorthStar. Very weird for a couple of Arizonans that are used to 115+ temps in August back home.

C
C
I was planning on giving the mountain goats in the Absaroka until the last week of Sept. to grow some nice hair before heading in. Do you think I might need to move that hunt up a week?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you should be ok sticking to your plan. i tromp the AB wilderness area several times a week and so far everything is pretty normal with the exception of a little more rain than usual, which is a huge plus.

C
C
Thanks toad, I talked to three guys who had tags last year and didn't even get to hunt because of heavy snows in early October and I just don't want to end up like them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yea, we got dumped on hard last year pretty early, which is always a possibility. but that was still later than your week. you will be in snow, but unless things really turn south, you will still be able to hunt.

this is Boulder Pass (9873' elevation) on Oct 6th last year.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i see a little fresh snow on the peaks in the AB this morning.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,002
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.